PDA

View Full Version : I want to add texture and then animate this model.

frontjibi
08-02-2005, 08:47 PM
http://groups.msn.com/CaribbeanComicAssociationWalagraph/lordknows.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=541

I modeled this alienated head. I know it looks weird. I made it quick. But before I go on to making realistic models, i need to add the surface texture and animate him.

I can add the surface texture but I am looking for more realistic skin type. How can I get that kind of affect?

95% of the time, i've been working in modeler since i started. So now i am moving on to rendering/animating part at the same time. What I need to know is, how can I animate his face? His lips moving, his eyes glowing and his head moving. You know like reality. Do I need extra plugins for it?

It would be a alot of help if you could also link me to the tuts lip syn, head/face animating and like that.

Jimzip
08-03-2005, 06:19 AM
Hey there.
Well I'm not an ace at texturing so I'll let someone else tell you about that.
But if you want to animate the fella, you don't need any extra plugins, you can use morph mixer in Modeler.
If you've never used morph mixer before, it's verrrry easy, so you're in luck!
Morphs are used to make facial expressions mostly, but you'll find a zillion other uses for them also.
I can't find any tutes on Google, (but I'm sure there are hundreds) so I'll quickly outline how morphs work.

1. In modeler, down the lower right, there are 3 buttons (or 5 in Lightwave 8.0), with labels W, T & M.
They stand for Weight map, Texture map and Morph map.

2. You'll be wanting to create a morph. So click on the 'M' button. Then, in the dialog box on the right (which should now say '(base)') click and select 'New'.

3. Name your morph. Eg, 'Smile", and leave the setting on relative, then click OK. (If you want to get into what Relative and Absolute to, read the manual.)

4. Now, make your morph! All you have to do is drag the points around on your model until it looks like the alien is smiling.
IMPORTANT: Always switch the morph dialog back to (base) before editing the model. ALWAYS.
If you don't turn the dialog back to base, any further edits you do to your model will only be saved in the current morph, and when you switch back to (base) later the model will jump back to how it was before you made the morph map.

5. Once you have your smile looking good, you can switch back the morph dialog to (base).

6. Make any more morphs you like following the same steps, ie, 'blink', 'ears twitch' etc.

7. Send the model to Layout.

8. Click on the object that you applied the morphs to. Press 'p' for properties, and go to the deform tab. Add the 'Morph mixer' plugin.

9. Double click on the plugin and use the sliders to control your morphs! Easy eh?
(Well, this essay didn't really make it sound easy, but it is once you get the hang of it..)

One last thing. If your model is sub-patched, (which yours is), make sure in Layout, that you go to properties 'p' again, and in the 'Geometry' tab, set the subdivision order to 'Last'. Otherwise Lightwave doesn't calculate the morphs properly.

Cheers! Hope this helps!

Jimzip :D

frontjibi
08-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Believe me, this helped me alot. Thank you very much.

Fongool
08-03-2005, 07:08 PM
You can also dig around on this site for tons of tutorials on a wide selection of topics:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

For texturing and setting up characters to be animated, I'd also recomend these books:

Lightwave 8 Texturing:

http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=wwpub&Product_Code=1556222858

Character modelling/rigging/morph target setup/texturing:

http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=wwpub&Product_Code=Cartoon-Set

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 07:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.