PDA

View Full Version : Maya Eye Candy Reel (52mb)

SheepFactory
10-30-2002, 02:23 AM
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/customerwork/movies/mayaeyecandy.shtml

enjoy

Gilgamesh
10-30-2002, 05:09 AM
Beautiful.

red_oddity
10-30-2002, 09:39 AM
What is actually rendered in Maya? And what looks good thanx to Post in other soft?

I always think these reels are a bit of a hoax, you never know what is really done in what software (and if the software is actually available, i see a lot of shots that where done with in-house software...)

Cool reel though none the less:p

acidboy
10-30-2002, 10:27 AM
Yeah I know what ya mean.

You'll see the same shots in the Maya reel as in the soft\XSI reel.

Sometimes it's just that the dynamics are done in Maya, while the character animation was done in soft\XSI.

Not saying one is better then the other........kinda ;)

alphatron
10-30-2002, 02:00 PM
My friend here in Toronto, Matt Lyons, edited this piece together.. I tink he did a good job.

red_oddity
10-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Hmmm.did he?
Could you ask him if they would be so kind as to make a reel which tells as what was used where? (like when it's modeled in Maya, could they put in some text which says 'modeling', acompanied by some sweet wire frame shots)

alphatron
10-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Sure! He'll have that reel up on A|W's website tonight! Keep checking back for it.

SheepFactory
10-30-2002, 04:02 PM
great editing ,

Everyone loved this reel back at siggraph.

but..

softimage reel is still the coolest :)

coboman
10-30-2002, 04:19 PM
I couldn't agree with red_oddity more. This is a hoax.
In that sequence with Tom Cruise jumping from a car in Minority Report, for example, the car was a full size prop. In this "demo reel" it's there to make people think that it was modeled and rendered in Maya.
Many other great scenes, like the guy running through walls in the Levis ad, were also accomplished with a lot of practical effects.
This could be any tool's reel: Photoshop, Flint, Inferno, Softimage or even Lightwave.
Nice to watch, though.

alphatron
10-30-2002, 05:00 PM
coboman,

It's the same with EVERY software reel. Alias|Wavefront isn't the only culprit here, they are just a fashionable scapegoat right now (everyone loves knocking down the guy at the top).

It would break the flow and asthetic of a reel like that to have a scene from Minority Report with markers saying "this object modelled in Maya". We're all smart enough to realize that almost every major production uses a variety of off-the-shelf software and in-house tools on all of their projects. That's why you see the same films, and even the same scenes in everyone's reels.

Appreciate it for what it is, nice eye candy.

coboman
10-30-2002, 06:07 PM
I agree that it is eye candy, and very good to watch. Inspirational.
The reason I am so critic about it, is that several months ago i had to make the decission to commit with one 3D program (my budget allows me to buy only one), and the galleries of other products (specially Lightwave), show you real work made by real people (not ILM demigods) so you can asses if that tool is what you are looking for.
It would be, in my opinion, more honest to say (again, like in Lightwave's site) this is the work made only with our tool. And here is a list of movies where our tool has been used, and for what.
Anyway, maybe it is also envy. I couldn't afford Maya Unlimited even if I considered it the best software.
(By the way, I decided to buy 3DS MAX, Lightwave's workflow sucks)

beaker
10-30-2002, 07:47 PM
>>and the galleries of other products (specially Lightwave), show you real work made by real people (not ILM demigods) so you can asses if that tool is what you are looking for.

Sorry dude, but Newtek is not above this. ILM's rebel unit used LW for many scenes in EP2 on the mac. Newtek has those scenes on their demo reel too. When you put together a reel you want to use all the best stuff possible because it is made to wow people, not discriminate how small of a part their software had in the piece. Marketing is not about showing you what the average person can do, it is about showing the best possible pieces no matter how small a part it actually had in the shot.

I remember at siggraph 99 there must have been 40 booths with Star Wars EP1 on their reels. Everywhere you look you saw starwars.

Gentle Fury
10-30-2002, 08:02 PM
brings me back to siggraph :)

they were looping that reel at the Maya party at siggraph.........in that train station place. Pretty cool party, met some really nice people there :)

The Magic Pen
10-30-2002, 08:51 PM
My reel shalt be that quality someday !! :buttrock:

Howzat
10-31-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by beaker
Sorry dude, but Newtek is not above this

but in newtek's defence at least they state exactly what their software was used for in each production on their projects list web page

jecal
10-31-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the link but wasn't larger version posted some time ago ?

My .mov filesize is only : 23,1 MB (24.315.392 Bytes)
Filename : 320_MayaReel2002.mov

Any links for the Softimage reel ?

Cheers,

jecal

red_oddity
10-31-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by alphatron
Sure! He'll have that reel up on A|W's website tonight! Keep checking back for it.

Was that ment sarcastically?, because i can't seem to find any 'practical' reels which actually shows the work rather than the final eyecandy (nothing wrong with that though ;) )

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.