PDA

View Full Version : Landscape WIP

LoTekK
08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
This started as a speedpaint with a tiny photoref of the view outside my window on a ridiculously rainy day, but I've decided to take it a different direction and change the landscape entirely. The original image was pretty much flat land with trees and foliage and scattered buildings. I've kept the odd-looking building on the right, as well as the surrounding buildings, but I've decided to change the flat landscape into a cliff-side city of sorts, complete with waterfall. I'll probably work some more on this tomorrow, since I have to relinquish the computer for the night.

http://www.lotekk.com/files/landscape.jpg

About 20-30 minutes so far, Photoshop 7.

C&C is entirely welcome and appreciated.

RO
08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
The start is promising I like the feel of it. One thing when I look at landscape works I usually look for a wide canvas and this is pretty square looking atm.

LoTekK
08-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Good point, that hadn't even occurred to me. I was working my ref off of the screen of my Treo, which is square, so I just sort of went with it. I'll probably widen the canvas now that I've got a better idea of where I'm going with this. Thanks for the heads up. :)

LoTekK
08-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Bleh. Sometimes I hate not planning a piece and then going round in circles. :hmm: Another hour or so, and all I've managed to do is define the cliffs into a not so interesting shape, and then got distracted painting the clouds. o_O

http://www.lotekk.com/files/landscape2.jpg

LoTekK
08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Another two hours. I'm having a little trouble with the overall scaling of stuff, since I've never done anything on this sort of scale (ie. landscape, cityscape stuff). Suggestions would be great, coz I'm losing focus, and am really just doodling around now. Added an energy shield of sorts, just for kicks.

http://www.lotekk.com/files/landscape4.jpg

edit: Added a mountain range thingie off to the right to break up the emptiness there. Might make it into an active volcano to give the poor suckers in the city a tangible reason to put up that energy shield.

Rebeccak
08-09-2005, 03:23 AM
Nice work so far, er, what's your name, LoTekk??? It sounds so familiar...oh yes! Now I remember you! :scream:

Hey, bud, this is looking nice. Maybe if you need more inspiration apart from your microscopic photo reference, you could toggle together some disparate large photo ref a la Google to get them creative juices flowing. I think this is how matte painters work. :)

BTW, bought a matte painting DVD at the Gnomon booth at SIGGRAPH, plus a ZBrush Sculpting DVD also. Hopefully I will be getting into those soon. AND guess who was at the Guerilla Studio? None other than your favorite dude, Don Seegmiller, whose book I now own. I should have had him sign it, damn. But thanks for turning me onto him, I hadn't heard of his work before.

Thank you for linking me on your home page! :) I can't wait to see your site once it's finished.

Tralala! ;)

~Rebeccak

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 03:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.