PDA

View Full Version : Linking a Dummy to another object's vertices

Giant
08-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey all,

I know you can add a Poly Select modifier to a mesh, and then add a Link XForm modifier to the mesh, and in turn link that XForm mod to a dummy. The dummy then controls that vertices if you want it to.

However, is there a way to do the reverse. I want to a get a dummy to follow a specific vertices of a mesh. Then I can link object to the dummy to follow the parent object.

Anyone know?

thank you,

stefan
08-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Under position Controllers U will find attatchement. Then U have to find right face to attatch to and tweak position on that face.

Giant
08-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Couple of things happening when I do that.

First off the object jumps off into space. So it is not aligned how I had it before. I read the Max help file on this "Attachment", but I cannot get my object to center itself perfectly on what I need it to. I have to reposition it after it jumps off into space, and the positioning controls on the Attachment Controller rollout seem to not allow me to reposition it.

Maybe I am making sense.

thanx!

LoneRobot
08-02-2005, 04:30 PM
go to frame 0, and press the "set position" button. then press and hold on your mesh object that you've attached to. You can use the other controls to tweak it.

stefan
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
It is hard to say exact what U need. Try to combine more controlers. Use attatchment just to check position of face-vertex in space. Use list controler and animate weight of attatch or try to use dummies in between obj in hierarchy. Attachment is usefull just to attatch something /dummy maybe/ to deformable meshes.

s-rajesh78
08-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Put and select the dummy control object to manipulate the vertices.

marktsang
08-03-2005, 09:20 AM
u need to define a face to attach the object to with the attachment contoller - the manual is good for this sort of thing if you ask me!

mark

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 09:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.