PDA

View Full Version : Creating a batch file to change data in notepad files

vfx
08-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi - Sorry but this doesn't really fit into any other category....except here...

I'm working on a bunch (over 30 at a time) of wrml files (edited with notepad), and each one requires that I open it up, and replace three filenames with other filenames....as you can imagine this is a very tedious task... Is there a way to create some sort of automated method i.e. run a recorded action like you can in photoshop.

Please if you have the knowledge - help me out!

Thanks

nafa
08-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Your task can easily be accomplished by using search and replace utilities. Here is the link to one freeware:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/irapid.html

By placing all your files in a folder, and designating your 3 files with unique names (for example myfile1, myfile2 and myfile3), you can then search and replace them with new names one by one.

It is possible to do it by using batch file, but to automatically cycle thru all the files to replace text takes some programming and there would not be that many people familiar with sophisticated DOS batch file programming nowadays.

Hope this helps.

PureFire
08-03-2005, 04:21 AM
You could also do it in MS Excel using macro's.

vfx
08-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Thank you very much guys...I'll look into both of ur suggestions.

Thanks again - save me some time.

rebo
08-03-2005, 11:01 AM
learning perl is very useful for these occasions. Or emacs.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 11:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.