PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Low Poly Biker

Cinimod
08-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post up my WIP for a low poly biker. I'm currently working on him and a motor bike for a twisted metal type game.

Currently the Biker is 3751 Polys and the bike is about the same.

I made a transparency map/alpha channel for the hair and sleeves but couldn't get it to work in Open GL mode in XSI... :cry:

This is my first low poly game model so C&C would be greatly apreciated :)

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d53dominic/cgtalk/biker/dc_biker_wip_01.jpg

johnwoo
08-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Cool..that's a good/clean mesh, proportions are real good, I would work the detail aspect in the texture a lot more tho' as it looks a little too clean, but if it's a style thing then that's cool, are you planning spec, bump or normal maps?...all the same good work so far..

p.s. Is he rigged/weighted atm? if not I would rotate his arms to a diagonal position to help with better deformation when you get to that stage...

good work tho'...

SHEPEIRO
08-02-2005, 02:22 PM
the hair would really do with an opacity map. other than that it looks cool.
it has the style of that new rockstargame from the 60s film The Warriors.

oh yeah im sure your on it but there are alot of tris that could be cleaned up by removing the diagonal edges, wont take long at all and will help when tweakin esp for riggin.

shraga
08-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Dom my man-

the biker is looking great. you took quite the challenge making both him and his bike.
what's amazing about your work is how you're always willing to learn and push hard. every project you take just keeps evolving and looks better and better.

keep it up !

Cinimod
08-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I haven’t had the time to touch up the guy’s texture yet, but I did manage to cut the poly count on him to 3414. I also finished modeling the bike (2578 Polys), and started to texture it.

Johnwoo – Thanks! I agree, I was struggling a bit with my texture method on the body, couldn’t really figure it out, but I think it’s getting better with the bike.

Yeah when I rigged to pose him on the bike, I basically had to remodel his shoulder area… It sucked so much, cuz I didn’t wanta mess up the UVs… Next time I will model his arm in a diagonal position.

SHEPEIRO - Thanks! Yesh, it suck that I couldn’t figure out how to do the openGL transparency in XSI, but when I render it with the transparency map, it’s looking better.

I modeled him all in quads, but then the guys who are making the game asked me to triangulate him... I don't know much about what is needed for models to work in the game though...

shraga - Thanks man, it was a bit of a challenge, especially having to keep cutting down on polys, but it was great fun. Thank you for all your support man :thumbsup:

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d53dominic/cgtalk/biker/dc_biker_wip_02.jpg

dpizzle
08-04-2005, 05:21 PM
very nice geometry flow...looks awesome.
would you mind posting the texture flats?

onelung
08-04-2005, 05:46 PM
hey man, nice model, few crits
-beard could use some fade in, from the face, right now you can see the planes coming outta the face.
-maybe some drop shadows, from things liek the vest, and bandana (sp?)
-grenades could use a gradient to make them apear more round.
- the pants such as pockets need more detail, right now they look a little blurry and mush, maybe adding a belt. with a nice buckel. and the pants seem to be sloaping down in the middle, don't see why, and what the perpose or what is the big brown leather belt thing? with some seems and a little more detail i think you can make these read better.
-should be more arch to the top of the boot, from where the foot comes outta the leg, right now its really flat, and looks a little weird, esp.. when posed on the bike.
-and right now, your metal, and your black leather seem alot alike, the metal could use a bit of pushing out sharpness... little more contrast, and scratches.

hope this helps. keep rockin.

Cinimod
08-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Here’s my latest update!

Dpizzle – Thanks! Here u go

Onelung – Thank you for all the great points, I really appreciate it! I have implemented a lot of them and it looks a lot better now. The brown leather thing is spose to be a large belt of sorts... kinda like a wresting belt. I tried to pop it out some more, but I need to add a large buckle of sorts. I worked on the pants some more, but I didn’t understand what u ment by the pants sloping down in the middle; I will continue to work on them though. Thanks again for the crit :thumbsup:

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d53dominic/cgtalk/biker/dc_biker_wip_03.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d53dominic/cgtalk/biker/dc_flat_02.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d53dominic/cgtalk/biker/dc_flat_01.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2005, 09:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.