PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated modeller - Silo or Modo?

marque-pierre
08-02-2005, 01:46 AM
For a while I have been wanting to acquire skills in and a dedicated piece of modelling software. For example, I like working with textures and shaders in XSI, but absolutely hate modelling there. Silo or Modo? Anybody tried both of them? Pros and cons?

bjergtrold
08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Just wait a day, there are new versions of Silo and Modo coming for Siggraph. :)
I can hardly wait whats to see what's in store for both of them.

StephanD
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Well since you already own XSI there are two options I would see.

Model in XSI since it's so great at it.

Get the XSI user rebate and get MODO for only 299.00...Yes,the page is still up for a few more days/hours and so's the rebate ;)

If the price is an issue then you shouldn't think about it.Silo is the cheap one....But it's cheaper to use the one you already got!

marque-pierre
08-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, at the moment Max is my favourite modeller. I like the rendering and texture work in XSI, and since I rarely animate anything to speak of, that part is not so important. I also use ZBrush on the side for normal maps and some 3D painting... So I just thought of loosing Max altogether for a dedicated modeller if they are better and faster than what I come to be accustomed with in Max.

Personal opinion. I absolutely hate modelling in XSI. I have tried to love it. It is just a poor fit for me I guess...

StephanD
08-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Where IMO XSI fails in the modeling part is having to use Instanced geometry for Mirror modeling,That is so 20th century and inconsistent!...

You can use the Symmetry Map,but it's a pain as soon as you add geometry unless you make a few automated tasks.

The rest is okay.

Rook
08-05-2005, 12:35 AM
You can use clone in Xsi which is the same as instance in Maya or Max.
Xsi 4.2 is a great modeler. If you have a problem with the tools it's most likely you haven't learned how to use them completely.

marque-pierre
08-05-2005, 12:48 AM
That is of course very likely! Learned to model first in Max. Guess that stuck...

Goon
08-05-2005, 01:42 AM
I have no modo experience worth speaking of, but am an ardent silo fan, so I'm quite biased.

But, nevertheless, I find silo to be very intuitive, simple, and efficient.
Silo lacks deformers, and a good object management system (v2.0 for that), so its got plenty to improve on.
But its polygon modeling toolset is very well thought out, works great, and is quite fluid for making organic models. Give it a try, I think you'll be able to dive right in in no time.

ambient-whisper
08-11-2005, 07:47 AM
You can use clone in Xsi which is the same as instance in Maya or Max.
Xsi 4.2 is a great modeler. If you have a problem with the tools it's most likely you haven't learned how to use them completely.
its not bad, but could be better.
the most annoying problem in it is the fact that theres no working backface culling.
during the tweaking stage on a hirez head, usually xsi will select the wrong element behind where you were intending to select.

many minus points for that one alone.

tazerFX
08-12-2005, 06:16 AM
i had seen a modo demonstration and its modeling is great. Its a software only based on modeling and rendering, theres no animation funtion (from what i saw). i dont know much about silo but yea, i think modo is a good modeling software

Ninjamonk
08-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I loved modelling in Max until I used Silo.

download a demo and try it.

version 2 adds zbrush like features that look amazing.

i have never used modo but it does look good and there is a demo.

FatherGlory
08-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I agree with the Silo lovers since I am now a huge fan too. I know Maya and Max well and both are very great modellers IMO but my new modeller of choice I am using on our current project is Silo. I messed with Modo a bit and it has some nice features but I stopped after a bit because it just didn't feel natural to my modeling style like Silo does.

ChristianFischer
08-14-2005, 12:28 AM
its not bad, but could be better.
the most annoying problem in it is the fact that theres no working backface culling.
during the tweaking stage on a hirez head, usually xsi will select the wrong element behind where you were intending to select.

many minus points for that one alone.

you can turn it on and off in the preferences under tools > selection > "raycast in shaded mode (affects move point)"

regards chris

K. Scott Gant
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
The thing is, if you hate XSI's modeling and are used to the way Max models, you may be disapointed with other applications out there. Modo is simular to the way that Lightwave modeled...only much much better. And of course this makes sense as the brains that were behind Lightwave are the brains behind Luxology/Modo.

Modo is very powerful and (to me) easy to use, but it's not like Max in the way it models/behaves...so you may not like that one either.

My advice, since you have XSI and it has an excellent modeler with it already, bite the bullet and learn it. I myself was going back and forth on which to get, either XSI or Modo. I'm sticking with Modo as it's roadmap looks very rosey indeed. The 201 version due out very soon will have a KICK ASS renderer built in...one that was made from the ground up. A bucket renderer to boot! Some time around the second half of 2006 the animation part of Modo should be out...and even that looks kick ass.

ambient-whisper
08-16-2005, 04:02 AM
you can turn it on and off in the preferences under tools > selection > "raycast in shaded mode (affects move point)"

regards chris

thanks :D. you have no ideas how many people i talked about this with ( that use xsi regularly) and none have been able to answer this.

but it still presents a problem. because now, rectangle mode, which i always use to select through with, no longer selects through.

atleast it allows to tweak properly now. and i guess i could use wireframe mode while using the rectangle selection mode, when i need to select through. would be nice to see this fixed up a bit more tho.

ChristianFischer
08-17-2005, 01:12 PM
and i guess i could use wireframe mode while using the rectangle selection mode, when i need to select through.

or you can use this little script for toggling raycast on and off.

if GetValue ("preferences.Select.rectraycast") = False then
SetValue "preferences.Select.rectraycast", True
Logmessage "Raycast in Shaded Mode ON"
else
SetValue "preferences.Select.rectraycast", False
Logmessage "Raycast in Shaded Mode OFF"
end if

i did this script because i switch often between the two modes.
it's really helpful for areas like the inner lips (the part that is not visible from outside the head) in combination with "show transparent selected wireframe".
i prefer it over the standard wireframe mode

transparent wireframe toggle:

ToggleValue "transpshaded", "*.camdisp,Views.*.*.camdisp"

ambient-whisper
08-17-2005, 04:04 PM
or you can use this little script for toggling raycast on and off.

if GetValue ("preferences.Select.rectraycast") = False then
SetValue "preferences.Select.rectraycast", True
Logmessage "Raycast in Shaded Mode ON"
else
SetValue "preferences.Select.rectraycast", False
Logmessage "Raycast in Shaded Mode OFF"
end if

i did this script because i switch often between the two modes.
it's really helpful for areas like the inner lips (the part that is not visible from outside the head) in combination with "show transparent selected wireframe".
i prefer it over the standard wireframe mode

transparent wireframe toggle:

ToggleValue "transpshaded", "*.camdisp,Views.*.*.camdisp"

cheers you rock!.

ThirdEye
08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I'd go for Silo 2.0, the displacement painting a la Zbrush alone is worth every penny you spend.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.