PDA

View Full Version : SYMMETRY doesn't work! What's wrong with it?

frontjibi
08-02-2005, 01:11 AM
I am trying to model a head. But it looks distorted owking on both sides. Because the symmetry doesn't work. The only way for the symmetry to work is to select a poloygon and use a MOVE tool. But I am using DRAG tool. I tried everyway there is but the effect only applies to one side only. What am I doing wrong here? Please help me.

telamon
08-02-2005, 01:38 AM
I am trying to model a head. But it looks distorted owking on both sides. Because the symmetry doesn't work. The only way for the symmetry to work is to select a poloygon and use a MOVE tool. But I am using DRAG tool. I tried everyway there is but the effect only applies to one side only. What am I doing wrong here? Please help me.

try to fix your simmetry. If you do not have any straight plugin for that it is simple. Put simmetry off, select the right side polygons, do set value (v) x=0 and delete them. Do mirror (shift+v) and make simmetry on.

frontjibi
08-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Actually I know that. But i have a different yet similar problem. I am not trying to mirror the one half of the head to make it hole. I was talking about about same affact applying to the other side while you are working on one side. It has nothing to do with mirring an object. I already have the whole head.

I know it is hard ot understand but please try it.

meatycheesyboy
08-02-2005, 03:51 AM
I know it is hard ot understand but please try it.

No need to get nasty, telamon understood your problem just fine, what he was suggesting was that maybe your symmetry got distorted somethow, so you should re-mirror your object just to be sure.

chaostest
08-02-2005, 06:14 AM
hey frontjibi, you could go through the model in wireframe,zoom in and do set value on the points that might be off,just pay attention to +,- and mm,m because you could twist your model up,actually you should pick a shorter number between the points on each side that you set value to. Hey,telemon,meatycheesy, if you did mirror would you have to merge points or weld or something after for animation, or is the mirror make it hole

T4D
08-02-2005, 06:25 AM
symmetry in 3D is a tricky thing

I find I break symmetry in Modo just a easy as i do in Lightwave
I have to say for me I think it's users error :blush:

most of the time i can think back and remember using this or that and that is what broke the symmetry

BUT XSI has another way to look at modeling with symmetry in 3D

IN XSI you only model half the model
you then proxy( clone) the object, mirror another clone from that first clone and these clones are they to give you reference when modeling
But you only ever model on the Half Base object

so you can't just grab a point anywhere move it, has to be on the half that's the base

I prefer the LW/Modo for most things i do But there is really no way to break symmetry in XSI So you win some, you lose some really :curious:

chaostest
08-02-2005, 06:33 AM
that sounds like a cool technique T4D, is it just me or does something like a smooth shift break symmetry,even with symmetry on i been breaking it,i think ill just do mirror,then you dont have to woory about turning on and off during

T4D
08-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Hmm lot of things in LW break symmetry :banghead:

I do ALOT !!! less mirroring and fitting up after using tools in Modo and again never in XSI

But maybe all this LW 9 stuff may address these issues :wip:

telamon
08-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey,telemon,meatycheesy, if you did mirror would you have to merge points or weld or something after for animation, or is the mirror make it hole

There is a checkbox in the mirror property pannel which helps to merge the points set at X=0. Otherwise you can merge the others by typing m.

To fix symmetry, I use two methods personnally. The brutal one (http://www.pixelpotential.com/) (seek for PMirror) or the smooth one (http://www.davidikeda.com/kungfu/index.html). (DI Kung Fu).

I also noticed that when the x=0 points are affected by a morph, the pmirror tool does not work and you'll have to WELD the points manually when PMirroring them. Why do I use PMirror on morphed objects? Sometimes when I create the deformation corrections for jointmorphplus, I do it for one side and then mirror the whole geometry (Mirror morph does not seem to work with LW8). Then I use the good old method ctrl+J select the left side copy weight map, select the base morph and do clear map.

frontjibi
08-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Now my symmetry is working fine. What's up with that. I am going to try and not to brake it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 01:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.