PDA

View Full Version : Charachter modeling

Funky_Cow
08-02-2005, 12:07 AM
What is the difference between character modeling and prop modeling? because I would like to learn. If anyone could give me a tutorial, that would be great

Geese Howard
08-02-2005, 10:37 PM
um...if i'm reading your question properly...
it's just the difference between modelling characters lifelike or otherwise, eg: humans, robots, or even cute vehicles like Herbie, Godzilla, haha.

vs.

Set props which are mainly non acting models, stuff that are usually used to fill background.
eg: tables, jets on an airfield, trees.....

it's really just a different type of models you'll be building for different purposes.

Funky_Cow
08-02-2005, 11:44 PM
I was unclear. What I meant was, is there any difference in making a character (vs a prop).

ElysiumGX
08-03-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm going to talk about low poly modeling for realtime applications (games, since that's where much of the technical advice is needed) since you didn't specify which you're concerned with.

Different rules apply to each. I've seen the result of those who attempt character modeling after a couple years of map object modeling. With animation software improving, such as with XSI, it's good to plan each step in order to get the desired result.

For one, characters must be designed with animation in mind. Terms such as topology come into play. The geometry around areas like shoulders, inner thighs, ankles, elbows, etc. must be arranged in a manner that will deform well based on the movements it will be used for. There are discussions on how to build proper shoulders, and how to use edges for elbows so they bend well. This is all very important for low poly modeling, and forms a base for high poly. Sometimes you also have to consider how the character will be textured. What shapes are easy to unwrap, what should be mirrored, and where should seams go.

For static objects, your aim is to get the right shape, optimize based on how often it will be used, the right texture resolution (sometimes using tiled textures, or mirrored UV's), and modular so it could easily be used in a variety of ways and interchangeable.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 08:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.