PDA

View Full Version : University Major Project - 'Beloved'

AlbertoW
08-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi,

Just graduated from Bournemouth University and I have eventually got round to sorting out a bare bones website, mainly for hosting my work and CV.

Anyway here is my third year major project, worth 50% of the degree and taking about 7 months on and off to produce. It's called beloved and it subconsciously deals with Asperger's syndrome and autism; demonstrating the way 'sufferers' and 'normal' individuals can relate and how their experiences can be similar.

More obviously itís a non photo real piece closely linked to the music (a Funkstorung remix of Bjork's 'All is full of love'). It uses motion capture for the bulk of the animation and a considerable amount of the visuals are procedurally generated.

http://www.digitallyinked.co.uk/files/beloved.JPG

The piece is encoded using DivX and hopefully isnít too big but we all know how hard the compression trade off is. Hopefully i'll find time to recompress it, but the thin lines dont take too well to heavy compression

Comments and criticism most welcome. Enjoy -----> Beloved! (http://www.digitallyinked.co.uk/files/beloved.avi)

Alex Wilkie

www.digitallyinked.co.uk (http://www.digitallyinked.co.uk)

aforetaste
08-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Beautifully done!
I love the lines and style of the piece.

I begs for you to lean in a look a little harder.

Nice.

slowgolde
08-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi,

Good to see you've posted it up here as I think it is a very original piece. The onslaught of irritating commuters works brilliantly and the fact you managed to develop such an interesting style over the course of the project deserves a lot of credit. The cutting to the music is also pretty spotless. I cant criticise anything because a) i cant find much to and b) I know how much emotionally is invested in major projects!

Davo

mopey
08-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Looks good, I really like the look of the commuters and the train itself.
Could you explain some of the techniques you used to generate the lines and some of the other effects?
James

kyrobyro
08-04-2005, 11:35 AM
very nice work....one of the best independt projects that i saw on this so far, best of luck with the job search. BTW the music is awesome ;)

AlbertoW
08-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Duplicate post

AlbertoW
08-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your kind replies!

James: - A lot of the work was done using MEL the Maya scripting language - (not sure if you are familiar with graphical programming?) The curves that are 'environmental' as in not linked to the commuters were created by a script that created cv points for a curve at specified offsets with randomness, originating from a selected vertex, face or object.

To visualise these and all the other curves, I used Maya PaintFX and wrote a script to apply a specified brush to a selected group of curves.

The curves that intertwine with the commuters were created with a script that selected a specified percentage of the total vertices on the selected objects and created a curve that had cv's at each of the required vertices.

The 'raindrop' section was once again procedurally generated. I wrote a script that initially created a 'puddle' which acted as the footprint of the raindrops then the script went on to generate ripples with user defined duration, size and transparency.

This script was adapted as a placement tool for the commuters, allowing me to define an area where I wanted lots of commuters to be placed and specify a base group of commuters to duplicate and when run the script would duplicate and place the new commuters randomly within the area with random rotations and adjustments to the vertical position to fake height differences. It also allowed me to duplicate commuters with motion capture clips attached and I could specify an offset to apply randomly to the start times of the clips.

Hope this helps!

Alex

TheGreat
08-05-2005, 06:16 AM
First I would like to say, I loved the style, and the imagination.

At some points it was hard for me to read the text that was being almost strobed across with the light effect, but overall I loved it, the music was superb!

Edit: Sorry this didn't post, but I have a little more crit to make it more well rounded.

I loved how the animation blended with the music and the sudden pulses. At one point in the movie you show some expanding circles, I think if this was shortend and probably mixed with the movie more, it would feel whole, I just had a sense of being lost in the whole plot (to someone that didn't know what it was about, seeing a bunch of expanding circles for an expanded time, really didn't work). Maybe just shortening this up a bit will make this more of a pulsating feel, filled with emotion.

It's hard to keep the feel of emotion throughout a video like this and when you have spots that drag on (which could be used quite well), it really drops the emotion factor and you have to build it back up again.

Just a little C&C, you did a great job my friend.
Good Luck

AlbertoW
08-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi TheGreat,

Thanks for your C&C, much appreciated!

The idea of the middle section was to convey the feeling that you get when you watch the world blur past and your imagination starts to drift.

Originally it was there to describe a common trait in Asperger's syndrome where the individual is fixated with a subject such as mathematics or, in this case, weather. This section was to be used to reveal more about the syndrome, the characters traits and specifically his obsession towards facts and figures regarding weather. However the piece ended up with less obvious and fewer direct links to Aspergers which is disappointing but, as normally happens, time gets the better of amateur or student projects as other projects or deadlines approach. A conscious decision was made to trim the narrative elements from the piece and concentrate on subconscious links and the aesthetics to drive the piece.

I agree it can seem drawn out but it is supposed to calm the viewer down and allow them to relax before the next onslaught.

Thanks Again,

Alex

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 10:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.