PDA

View Full Version : Maya 6.5 student?

frequency
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi
I'm very keen to get into CG and think that it's a good idea to get to know the software and industry before I go to higher education (I've just finished high school). I've decided to get the student version of Maya 6.5 for 333. It seems like a good deal. All I need with tutorials (although I already know how to use it) I just can't use it for comercial which is fine for me.
But here's the thing, it says Windows XP pro is required. Well I've used Maya 5 on XP home and it works fine. Do I really need Pro for 6.5?
333 pounds is already expensive for a student do I need to fork out another load for Windows?
Please help. Thanks

DuttyFoot
08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
it should work without any problems.

frequency
08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Oh right! Thanks!
Btw. I've been reading a few other 'student copy' threads and they say you have to activate it with Alias. Now does that mean EVERY time I re-install? I have a bit of a reformatting fetish with my computer. Everytime I get new hardware or it gets cluttered I just wipe clean. It keeps my it clockwork although it's time consuming.
Does this mean that I have to reactivate Maya if I do this?

DuttyFoot
08-01-2005, 11:05 PM
i am a student too, and i had to activate my version of maya 6. i dont think you have to reactivate it if you reformat your hard drive. normally when you install and activate maya it puts the license information in the flexlm folder on your c drive. If you are going to reformat then you should probably save that flexlm file on a disk and then once your pc is up and running again you just put it back into c drive. Then once you reinstall maya, you can just go to the part of the setup where you the license and point it to your flexlm folder. you could aslo try copy and pasting that flexlm folder back into c drive and try to start maya, if the license is correct it would start without any trouble.

to be honest with you, you should have started this thread in the maya user forum. you would get a whole lot more answers if you did. so put your thread there, and hear what everyone else has to say.

frequency
08-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks again, your knowledge reaches no bounds.
I'm reassured and inspired to do some modelling now! I want Maya!

novadude
08-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Telling people to wait a few weeks is getting to be a trend for me around here, but if you could hold off for a short time you might be able to get the student version of Maya 7.

Also, if all you want to do is learn the program you could just use the PLE version.

DoubleSupercool
08-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Make sure to check how long the license lasts as it differs from country to country. In Australia Maya Unlimited is cheaper than you quoted, but it is only a yearly license, so if you are doing a 3 year course it really adds up.

frequency
08-05-2005, 12:44 AM
How long it lasts? From what I heard the licenses are unlimited. At least I hope so. Otherwise it's going to be a little difficult to fork out 333 often. :S

DuttyFoot
08-05-2005, 02:00 PM
if you buy from journeyed the license is perpetual which means it dosen't have to be renewed. so its unlimited. anyone know the price of updating student license to commercial version for either complete or unlimited

kjc
08-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Here you go - Studica (http://www.studica.com/Alias/)

DuttyFoot
08-06-2005, 05:12 AM
i found in on the alias site 899 to convert complete student to commercial license and 4999 to get commercial version of unlimited

frequency
08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Here you go - Studica (http://www.studica.com/Alias/)

Oh yeah, I'm from the UK. lol! Enless these guys sell internationally. I'll email them.

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.