PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Tech-Gothic Architecture

void808
08-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Thought i'd post what i'm currently working on. Finished the model, and now i'm focusing on texturing it up. Ideally, I'd like to get a ton of the existing detail baked out to a normal map, but my low-budget attempts have been proving fruitless.

Crits welcome, suggestions as well.

(http://naturalflavor.org/images/testrender.jpg)

maul
08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Looks good.. but maybe a bit polyheavy.. don't know =S.. Create lods and you can get a better fps.. Thats just my oppinon(spelling)

RO
08-01-2005, 08:55 PM
looks good keep at it. A bit highish poly but looking at what is coming up in the next gen this is not far off. Things that will be very small details like deco stuff that is flat you can put in a normal map version and leave out in the low poly.

nattnewman
08-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Looking good so far. Do i see Sketchup in use here?

Cheers,

Nathan.

nattnewman
08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
sorry, double post! and now I don't know how to delete the second!

void808
08-01-2005, 09:56 PM
yep. Poly heavy--I'm trying to work a way to get the detail baked off into a normal map. I need to check into tutorials for creating the maps in max 7, since I cant afford anything else:) It doesnt seem very easy to do--I tried doing it in MELODY from Nvidia, but it crashed every time I tried to export the normal model data.

Sketchup--hell yes. It's fast as hell, cheap, and intuitive. I've been environment arting in the games industry for 7 odd years now, and that tool is easily the most intuitive and fast for non organic modeling. I use it as a primary vehicle for creating fast concept illustrations and design ideas for the rest of our art staff in house and overseas.

afrolaxman
08-02-2005, 12:40 AM
kick'in style to this. did get ideas from anywhere specific, or just from milling about and puting pieces together?

I am curiuos about this Sketchup you guys talk about, need to google soon....

edit...
just googled, holy f*%$ing Shite! i am downloading this Sketchup now. wow, looks intuitive

void808
08-02-2005, 02:03 AM
Nowhere in particular--I was inspired partly by seeing the gears of war stuff from epic floating about--embry square looks just fantastic, and so I went about designing a pseudo gothic-technica building. The overall model/design took less than 8 hours, and I expect all the surfacing/normal mapping stuff to take three times that.

If anyone's relatively experienced in architectural normal mapping, and/or Zbrush, PM me--Its one of my big goals to understand the full pipeline inside and out, and I just bought a copy of the brush, and have no real angle from which to start working with it.

-peace. I'll update this with links as I get some surfaces on there.

Oh, and DO check out sketchup. You'll probably wet yourself with glee just by tooling around the interface for a few minutes. It comes with a free 8 hour demo.

kick'in style to this. did get ideas from anywhere specific, or just from milling about and puting pieces together?

I am curiuos about this Sketchup you guys talk about, need to google soon....

edit...
just googled, holy f*%$ing Shite! i am downloading this Sketchup now. wow, looks intuitive

nattnewman
08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Great stuff void808.

I've been aware of Sketchup for about 18 months now but have only just started using Sketchup 5. I think eventually it's going to be quite a player in the games business: if studio's have any sense. It's so easy to knock out concept after concept after concept, and with the new wave of consoles and specifications just around the corner...could there be a better way to generate a high poly building ready to be incorporated into the normal mapping pipeline? I'm yet to think of a better faster method!

Cheers,

Nathan.

Ghostscape
08-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Normal baking in Max is pretty easy, provided you're already familiar with the quirks of the render to texture system. Poop has a great tutorial at www.poopinmymouth.com though that covers every little bit and is very useful.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.