PDA

View Full Version : Interview with NewTek's Jay Roth

LOR
08-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Check this out www.cgfocus.com (http://www.cgfocus.com/) Some really interesting insights here. Great promise for the future as well.

lor

rickycox
08-02-2005, 03:45 AM
It seems like a fairly frank and candid interview, which is a refreshing change, much appreciated. I know Newtek needs to be careful and gaurded about what they say and what info they release to the public, but I think detractors will always find something to latch onto.

Persoanlly I think this kind of informal approach is 100% better than the cooperate spiel.

FULL INTERVIEW HERE BTW http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwfuturedev.php

hrgiger
08-02-2005, 04:14 AM
This is my favorite part:

"Most of the modeling functions available in other products are now available in our modeling environment, and we have also added some that no one else has."

I wonder what the part is that no one else has?

MooseDog
08-02-2005, 06:10 AM
it's a great no-fluff read. and certainly answers those who spoke publicly for the need for a roadmap from nt. congrats to the folks who put this together, and the dev team as well!!

colkai
08-02-2005, 09:21 AM
This is my favorite part:

"Most of the modeling functions available in other products are now available in our modeling environment, and we have also added some that no one else has."
I particularly liked...
"The renderer is now also much easier to work on in order to implement improvements, as the code was previously not contiguous and well-isolated within the Layout core."
Which is a kind way of saying the code wasn't all it could have been.
The new dev team have certainly worked their butts off! :wip:
Good to see that the thoughts of the logical few about how the system was being developed panned out too. As Chuck was repeatedly stating, (to many deaf ears), sometimes, you gotta clean up the kitchen before you can produce a new menu. :D

Zarathustra
08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Now that you mention it, I'd like to know what the "some that no one else has" features for Modeler are.

Darth Mole
08-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Come on... what about, you know... that thing. The uncontrollable Magic Bevel. You don't see that see that very often elsewhere.

KillMe
08-02-2005, 02:20 PM
they have magic bevel in modo now :D

phamarus
08-02-2005, 03:31 PM
This information is great, and a lot of what I have been hoping for seems to come through finally.
Was a bit worried about the fact that I bought learning books for a software that could not compete anymore..but this information clearly shows that it will really really catch up.

Nice interview that gives insight to what has been going on and whats up for the future.
for me ..many of the top features seems to be coming through..like intergration,edges,ngons
faster dynamics..better control over UI , just wish that one of the features could be adressed more quickly...and that is subpixel displacement...though they will implement better support for z-Brush normal mapping.

anyway..great interview..that keeps the spirit and hope up for Lightwave, thank you for that
Jay Roth!

Phamarus

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 03:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.