PDA

View Full Version : My pc is melting

Yourworstnightmare
08-01-2005, 05:00 PM
So i've been using my pc and every once in a while it shuts down I suppose that it's the heat cause when I check the temp is ussually over 50c, is that too hot, because it's only 122f and that doesn't seem too hot. Could it be anything else.

qwatkins
08-01-2005, 09:43 PM
What is your system spec?

Have you checked your sinks and airflow thru the case?

What is the ambient room temp?

Have you checked in your BIOS to see if there is a automatic temperature shutoff (this is usually set by the user to some maximum temperature at which the machine will automatically shut itself off to prevent meltdown)?

Rennie
08-01-2005, 09:58 PM
You should use a system monitoring progam. If you have an ASUS board you can use ASUS probe or programs like motherboard monitor or speedfan. If your cpu reaches 50 degrees C in stressed or 55 that's no problem. 60 is pretty hot but stil ok if it doesn't get any hotter. You should worry if it gets higher than 65+.

WU2
08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
cheapo power supply maybe

MarGera
08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I clean my PC out alot, i get a can of air to get to places that are hard to reach, and i clean out just about everything. It takes about 30-40mins and i think it is well worth looking after your PC, i mean dust eats components, and you dont want that happening.

One of the other reasons it could shut down is because it has actually got enough power, i have heard of a few people with this problem, so it might be worth picking up a new power supply, they arn't that bad $$ wise.

Yourworstnightmare
08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
So, my room temp is hot as hell, about 80-90 degrees. Ill probably have to clean my pc cause i never do it. And I have an Emachines and most of their parts are name brand so that can't be a cheap power supply, I guess. Where do I download a system monitoring program?

Yourworstnightmare
08-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Ok i've downloaded a system monitor and i get the below results and I don't know what half of the stuff means and I would also like to know how to lower the cpu's temp.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8388/cpu4zi.jpg

xsenos
08-02-2005, 03:48 AM
How powerful power supply unit and what USB devices do you have? You're PC temperatures looks fine, however, your +5V voltage seems low. I'm not quite sure if 4.76 could be critical but there's a chance. If so, it's your PSU that needs upgrading.

qwatkins
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
You might consider your PSU as has been mentioned

A general guide for PSU's this is very informative:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/...ly_Guide_1.html (http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Power_Supply_Guide_1.html)

This is a component that should not be overlooked and if it is giving poor voltages it can create "strange" problems.

mushkin
08-02-2005, 04:49 PM
do not come to a cg talk board for computer problem...your temp is fine...

head on over to www.hardforums.com

Your problem is your power supply.

Pre built computer you have.

It would have helped if you gave me the spec but what ever...go to that forum and ask questions.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.