PDA

View Full Version : The "Credibility" of Lightwave ?

5TEF
08-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi,

i've got LW since the 5.0 version.
at the beginning, LW has a very good reputation, especially for his outstanding rendering quality, sfx, and ( especially ) its price.
LW was used in lot of vfx company...
so, i spent a lot of time and money to learn LW.
in one year, i will move and search a new job ( in France ), and when i ask to vfx company if they use LW, they usually say to me : " no, Maya !" or "no, Softimage !"... ( but there are a lot of "Maya" !! ) i was surprised !

i think Newtek is less competitive than 5 years ago...no more really innovating things...no more really agressive marketing deals... ( like the softimage foundation for 495 euros )

So, i'm wondering what i must do... continue to using a soft that vfx company don't use ?
bad deal to find a good job !

Cool and very known LW users have changed their LW package for another 3D solution.
i begin to know why they do it.

So, sell my LW copys for a maya or softimage version ? i think about it...

i like a lot the "spirit" of LW, the LW interface, the cool community,
but today, LW isn't any more in the "race" in Europe, especially in France.

Chuck Baker
08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
LightWave's credibility is just fine. Might have a look here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=263797

...for our latest announcements.

electropulse
08-01-2005, 05:02 PM
my god, seriously, you have to look at the developers of those products.

Softimage was a french/canadian product and Maya's creator's head office is located in canada, so you do the math.

some folks don't want a Texas 3d product to succeed?

LightwaveGuy
08-01-2005, 05:07 PM
OT

Chuck,

Is the Vue 5 Infinite supplied with the upgrade (8 or 9) tied to the Dongle? My sister does Video production and wants Vue 5 (PC/Mac). I'm wondering if I can snag two birds with one upgrade???

When upgrading is the Vue 5 verion either or (PC/MAC) and not a dual disc???

Chaz
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Well, get a job using Maya or Softimage if that's what your job requires. Lots of people use Maya or Soft at work and do personal projects with Lightwave. Besides, owning and maintaining a personal copy of Maya or XSI can be an expensive proposition!

Shade01
08-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Not a constructive thread. Instead of starting posts like these, it sounds like you should be doing your homework on how applications are used in the industry.

richcz3
08-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Keeping this thread constructive is about ideas for increasing market share. Maybe NewTeks agressive new marketing approach will get many more FX houses and game studios to buy LW seats. LW9 really looks like it's going to be a winner, but its going going to take a very smart fight, including building key alliances and a "take no prisoners" effort.

I think 5TEF's base statements are rooted on facts within his experience. He writes that he's looking for a job and is being told LW is not used there. Whether or not there are VFX companies that use LW doesn't help his situation in his location. That being said, what Chaz wrote seems to be more prevalent. Use Maya or SI at work and use LW for personal projects.

LW9 will not be a magic bullet that brings everyone back to the fold based on a feature list from Siggraph. I'm sure (hoping) there's going to be some renewed ground pounding strategies that will bring many larger studios back into the fold while bringing in new talent.

-

Chuck - Since I already have a Vue Infinite, how does the Upgrade to LW9 work?

vonbon
08-01-2005, 08:46 PM
5TEF If I were you I would keep LightWave and just purchase 1 of the other programs, or see about getting an educational version of them. You just need to know how to use it right.

You probably want get that much for your LightWave at least not what its worth especially if you personally like LightWave. Create your demo in LightWave if you feel comfortable using it. If the reel is good then its good no matter what and you can still have the knowledge of the program they want you to use.

Industries just like people get caught up in trends. Some make them and others just participate. Everything will come in a full circle eventually so why throw away a good pair of "Bell Bottums" when they will come back in style.

Shade01
08-01-2005, 09:20 PM
heh, silly me, I meant to close this thread the first time I posted :)