PDA

View Full Version : NewTek's SIGGRAPH 05 LightWave Announcements

Chuck Baker
08-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Los Angeles, CA -- SIGGRAPH 2005 Booth #1529 -- August 1, 2005 --

NewTek is pleased to announce today the forthcoming release of LightWave 3D® version 9.0, the next generation of the Emmy®-winning 3D application. NewTek's development team is implementing a major rewrite and restructuring of LightWave's core with the addition of mesh editing capabilities to Layout, consolidation and enhancement of tools in Modeler, extraction of the renderer from the Layout module, rewrite of the raytracing routines to newer, much faster algorithms, and implementation of adaptive mesh subdivision based on distance-to-camera and visibility. Modeler's toolset is being updated with true edge support throughout, and subdivision surfaces have been re-engineered for improved performance and n-gon support.

For the complete text of this press release, link to:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05a.html

NewTek is pleased to announce today the release of the 64-bit port of the Emmy®-winning LightWave 3D® for Windows XP Pro x64 OS, as part of the release of the version 8.5 update. LightWave® 64 and the version 8.5 update are free to registered owners of LightWave [8]. LightWave's 64-bit version leverages the increased memory available with 64-bit systems plus the power of the new processors and faster RAM access to provide digital artists with a streamlined workflow that allows them greater flexibility and creative freedom.

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05b.html

NewTek is pleased to extend their congratulations to the Emmy® nominees in the Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series category for 2005. For the eighth year in a row, a number of the nominees relied on NewTek's Emmy-winning LightWave 3D® as a key tool in their visual effects arsenal. NewTek's TriCaster is also nominated for an Emmy this year, in the category Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Creation of Non-Traditional Programs or Platforms.

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05c.html

NewTek is pleased to announce today that Emmy® award-winning LightWave 3D® will be available at a greatly reduced suggested retail price. With a full $800 price reduction from $1595 to the new price of $795, NewTek is once again setting a new price/performance standard for the professional 3D industry. NewTek also announced a special promotion for purchasers of LightWave® [8] full and upgrade editions to receive free upgrades to LightWave v9.0 upon its release.

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05d.html

Rod Seffen
08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
I guess most people's response to a lot of these v 9.0 features would be 'it's about time'
...better late than never though)
I haven't been able to drag myself away from using LW modeler despite all the new kids on the block, and I did feel I was falling behind becasue of it.
Roll on V9.

Dragon_Lee
08-01-2005, 03:39 PM
This all looks amazing.... a LOT moreso than I expected...

Seems the new team did an amazing job in getting back on track and started off with a good speed...

Been a while since I was excited like this after a Newtek Press release!!!

I more assumed we'd get one major revampment in 9 (separate renderer), and then a big new feature added in every update after that, but now 9.0 seems like a truely "rounded" and more state of the art application right out of the new box, like it used to be in the earlier days :)

The nodebased shader system sounds very nice too, some people have mentioned this for years now :)

One question remains ... the [8] upgrade offer for Vue and LW 9.0 ... is that a whole new one than the one just ended, and it will only be available when LW9.0 is ready? or is it an "order now" kind of thing only?

The new lower pricing for a full license seems great, but I honestly hope Newtek is not burning itself by doing this, wouldn't want the new team to get disgruntled after financial troubles hit :)

devin
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I agree that the pricing scheme is a little confusing. Is this a limited time offer? Is the price reduction permanent? Seems like an extreme reduction.

Oh yeah, I should add that I'm excited about the new feature set overall. Hopefully this is just the start of something great for LW's future. If the upgrade is truly as good as it appears in text, the team deserves praise.

Mike Pauza
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Dynamics rewritten for improved precision, performance and capabilities
Dynamics UI redesigned for easy and intuitive workflow
Relativity 2 Expressions System
-From NewTek's Website.

I'd like to know more about the dynamics. Specifically...has the collision detection problem been fixed? "Improved precision" sounds like they used to compute dynamics in "single precision" (kinda like 8bit color) which would explain some of it's quirkyness.

-Mike Pauza

webhead
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Bigger and better features at a lower price? Am I dreaming or have I gone to CG Heaven? :drool:

monovich
08-01-2005, 04:23 PM
this is great news, I'm really really excited.

good job, NT!

Darth Mole
08-01-2005, 06:31 PM
The best thing NT could have done for the dynamics is integrate Impact 3. Now THAT'S precise (and easy to use, too).

funfun
08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
The best thing NT could have done for the dynamics is integrate Impact 3. Now THAT'S precise (and easy to use, too).

And Syflex!

monovich
08-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I just signed up for a 1 day pass for siggraph and am going to stop by maybe today. I'm wondering, what will be on display if I stop by there today? 8.5? 9? Nothing?

I want to make the most of it, so if there is a better day than Monday, what might that be?

thanks,

-Steve

devin
08-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't think the exhibit hall is open until tomorrow, 10am-6pm.

monovich
08-01-2005, 08:50 PM
oh... hmmm...

thanks for saving me a trip!

devin
08-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Glad to help. They typically schedule it this way but I just happened to have checked the schedule right before seeing your post. I'm not able to make it this year but I hope to hear some good reports from those of you that are. Hopefully next year in Boston will prove to be an exciting show as well.

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 09:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.