PDA

View Full Version : How should my upgrade going to be?

tecsun
08-01-2005, 12:09 PM
My current system:
P4 1.6 ghz
512 mb RAM
On-board display (last card has broken down)

I'm having this low performance system for running 3dsmax and photoshop currently (btw, I'm just beginner). But now I plan for an upgrade, with budget USD 130 - 160. I have 3 options:
(1) buy a better graphic card only
(2) buy an cheaper graphic card & add one more 512mb RAM to my system
(3) get a graphic card and upgrade cpu (by trade-in)

for the graphic, please help me decide whether:
(1) Geforce 5200
(2) Ati Radeon 9250
(3) or please suggest any card to me based on my budget.

Thank you very much. :D

varzock
08-01-2005, 01:19 PM
My current system:
P4 1.6 ghz
512 mb RAM
On-board display (last card has broken down)

I'm having this low performance system for running 3dsmax and photoshop currently (btw, I'm just beginner). But now I plan for an upgrade, with budget USD 130 - 160. I have 3 options:
(1) buy a better graphic card only
(2) buy an cheaper graphic card & add one more 512mb RAM to my system
(3) get a graphic card and upgrade cpu (by trade-in)

for the graphic, please help me decide whether:
(1) Geforce 5200
(2) Ati Radeon 9250
(3) or please suggest any card to me based on my budget.

Thank you very much. :D

Hey there, glad to see another upgrader hehe :thumbsup:

What I've been hearing from people on this forum, you'd better upgrade your memory to at least 2Gb but I don't know how much that costs at where you live. And another thing to update is your processor.

About your graphics card, I got Ati Radeon 9250 and it hasn't really assured me of its power. It's kinda slow on my system and that's why'd personally recommend the Geforce but yea it's a bit difficult with such a small budget, welcome to the family :shrug:Hope this helped at least a bit

lots
08-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Well 512 more ram would be great. That can be had for about $40ish.. and with the $100 left, you could probably only afford a geforce 5200 at best...

tecsun
08-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Hey there, glad to see another upgrader hehe :thumbsup:

What I've been hearing from people on this forum, you'd better upgrade your memory to at least 2Gb but I don't know how much that costs at where you live. And another thing to update is your processor.

About your graphics card, I got Ati Radeon 9250 and it hasn't really assured me of its power. It's kinda slow on my system and that's why'd personally recommend the Geforce but yea it's a bit difficult with such a small budget, welcome to the family :shrug:Hope this helped at least a bit
2GB? oh god, with my limited budget, can't think of that. Perhaps for the next upgrade. :) You also upgrader? so what's about your next upgrade? you choose nvidia? what cpu you're using now? if i got a 2.4ghz, is it enough so far?

Well 512 more ram would be great. That can be had for about $40ish.. and with the $100 left, you could probably only afford a geforce 5200 at best...
ermm.. i think so. I did hear about geforce 5500, but cannot get its spec, do you have some information on it? is it better than 5200 or worse?

btw, what's the different for 128mb and 256mb graphic card?I saw on the last post in the forum that if i get a larger RAM in graphic card, i can't just ignore my system ram, is it?

lots
08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Large memory on a graphics card will generally give you the ability to have larger textures. This is a good thing, if you are working with very high res textures on your 3D objects, in real time. If you're a beginner or just not using complex texture maps, this may not be such a big issue. My Geforce 4 Ti 4600 only has 128 megs and I've never had much issue with it.

But overall, the more memory you have the better. For $80 you can get 1GB of memory, bringing you up to 1.5GBs. That may end up helping much more. You still may have enough cash left over for a 5200, or even a 5500 (Basically the 5500 is an upgraded 5200). Also you may want to look into the Geforce 6200, it may fit the price as well, though it is newer and will probably cost more.

I do have to say one thing. From the looks of it, I bet you have RDRAM, in which case it will be very hard and expencive to find another Gig of it, even 512 MB is going to cost you. Find out what kind of ram your system supports, this will tell you what excatly you will need to upgrade.

If the system does use RDRAM, I say save your money and get a larger upgrade in a few months (New CPU/MOBO/RAM).

tecsun
08-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Large memory on a graphics card will generally give you the ability to have larger textures. This is a good thing, if you are working with very high res textures on your 3D objects, in real time. If you're a beginner......
thx guy! anyway, I have DDR ram :P. I'm going to buy a 512 one at this saturday. the graphic card, erm.. since I'm still beginner, texturing is still new to me. i think I will wait for next price fall, then I can have a more advance but cheaper card. :D

Thanks again for all people helping me. :)

yalcinaydin
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
In Turkey we can buy MSI 9550 with 128MB with 70USD+VAT
and it can be easily overclocked to ATI 9600XT level.
when compared with Nvidia line it's near FX5700.
You can still buy a 512MB:thumbsup:

tecsun
08-05-2005, 01:48 PM
but malaysia here, the price seems not as low as you there.. :( pity.
however, do anyone come from china? I'm going to china soon, is computer part more cheaper there? and do the electric watt(or volt maybe, I'm not sure of electric :D) compatible with malaysia one?

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 01:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.