PDA

View Full Version : Ibook G4 or powerbook g4 or others???

silentvisual
08-01-2005, 11:04 AM
which one will be recommend if i want to do graphic... motion graphics to be more specific hmm since i heard mac is the best for graphics stuff so and i am looking in buying an laptop.
and this will be my first time buying apple machine.. which will give me hte best result what i want to do... since i don't really know much about macs...

if you have any other laptops you recommend your welcome to leave the laptop model number and company and i check it out..

or just wait until 2006 when intel builds mac chips since mac wont' be using IBM anymore

Beamtracer
08-01-2005, 12:23 PM
The transition to MacTel only begins in mid-2006, starting with the Mac Mini. In mid-2007 Apple will still be selling PowerPC based machines.

If you want a new Mac, buy it now!

As for iBook vs Powerbook, it depends on how much money you can spend. The new iBook range was only released about 2 days ago, so you're lucky! They contain a new ATI graphics card which is probably good enough for what most people do.

I think the iBooks are better value for money, but if you have the money to spend, go for the Powerbook.

fusion_art
08-01-2005, 02:14 PM
hi, i am a HAPPY 1 month owner of a BEUTIFUL 12'' G4 powerbook ...:)

i am using it for graphics for 2d & 3d work (photoshop, flash, illustrator & ... MAYA), and i can i can assure that its a very powerfull machine (especially if u need maximum portability) ...

just pump it up with extra ram

(sorry 4 my bad english) :)

enygma
08-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Dude! How the hell can you use Maya comfortably on a 12" screen? :D

fusion_art
08-01-2005, 04:04 PM
well ... getting into the habit of excluding all the user interface & palettes, and using all the necessary keyboard shortcuts u get to have quite a lot more space on the screen (even 1024x768 ... :thumbsup:)

anyway whenever i get to link it to a larger monitor it works great ...

the awful thing is that i can always have all my projects (personal or work) with me ... and THAT is what i call portability :buttrock:

WOW ... what a machine ............

enygma
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I know... I like the portability. I use my 17" Powerbook as a floating license server for Maya and have my projects on the external hard drive. I just can't imagine using Maya on anything less than 17". I sometimes feel even that isn't enough because at my office, I'm working on dual 18.1" displays. Props to you... :D

tfortier
08-01-2005, 05:08 PM
motion graphics... broadcast design... first, good luck doing that on a laptop... youll need at least a 21 inch screen for be confortable... and a G4... forget it! After Effects will be 5 times faster on a PC... G5 is other thing but G4... come on...

Im a multiple BDA winner, doing broadcast design since version 3.0 of After Effects... and i buy few laptops in the past when i was thinking it can be cool to work in Coffee... Each time i bring them back to the sellers... serious job is doing in a quiet environnement (no girls walkiing around) and on the biggest screen or dual setup you can find!

But if you absolutly need a Laptop, go for a powerfull PC (P4 2.8 and more) with lot of RAM and
a nice 17inch screen... you will need it.

For the graphic card, After Effects or combustion dont really need it but if you do 3d, take a good one... Lightwave is good even with cheap card but bigger software will ask for more...

Of course if you are good, you can do miracle with minimum equipement... but a G4 is really a thing from the past... and its still expensive! crazy!

I think the Toshiba Satellite's still have the best value for the money... but im not sure anymore... they are quite bulky!

good luck in Motion Graphic! cant wait to see your stuff!

beaker
08-01-2005, 07:26 PM
I have an ibook 14" with a Ati 9200. It is nice, but for 3d it is really pokey compared to the card they have in the powerbook line. My friends powerbook kicks my ibooks ass at 3d. If your not doing 3d though, go for the cheaper ibook.

Saurus
08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
well ... getting into the habit of excluding all the user interface & palettes, and using all the necessary keyboard shortcuts u get to have quite a lot more space on the screen (even 1024x768 ... :thumbsup:)

anyway whenever i get to link it to a larger monitor it works great ...

the awful thing is that i can always have all my projects (personal or work) with me ... and THAT is what i call portability :buttrock:

WOW ... what a machine ............

I think I got you beat. I got a HP tablet with a 10 inch screen that I use for maya and photoshop. It's a tablet and laptop all in one, that I carry with me all the time....THAT is what i call portability :buttrock: WOW ... what a machine!!

I don't have it installed, but I know of another owner who plays half life 2 with his HP tablet.

silentvisual
08-01-2005, 10:14 PM
according to tfortier i pretty have an judgemnet wat i want to buy cuz i have an desktop
p4 3.5 ghz 2mb and 2 gbs of ram... so thats basically solve it but is it possible for mac and desktop file moving back and forward without any corruption...

and i think i am goin to go with powerbook g4 the thing is 15 in or 12 in i need some input on.. and ram...

and sorry for my enlgihs and thank you very much puttin ur time giving me input on this :] it reallly gave me good inputs and deciisions

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.