PDA

View Full Version : Tree Object Exporting to Lightwave?

BobBob
08-01-2005, 04:41 AM
I am looking at buying Vue 5 Infinite for Mac OSX. I currently use Lightwave 8 on a Mac OSX platform mainy for architectural artist impressions.

One on the main features I would like to use is the tree object export feature intially as it would take me a while to become comfortable with using Vue 5 Infinite as a renderer.

Has anyone tried exporting trees and if so how successful has it been.

I would try it on the trial version but this disables object export.

I would love to able to download a tree created in Vue 5 so I can see the quality etc before going ahead with a purchase.

Another query is how good is the object import from Lightwave and are there any limitations on network rendering of an image (I mainly do still images). Not being able to do network rendering of a single frame in lightwave really slows down production.

Any help, advice, ideas etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Bytehawk
08-14-2005, 02:12 AM
i just tried it yesterday and the plant comes out great, with textures and all. Complexity of the mesh depends on the complexity you create it in.

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 12:45 PM
So, when you tried this, does it save out a UV map or something like that with it?
And do the leaves get mapped as well?
Thanx................md :)

Bytehawk
08-14-2005, 02:20 PM
yep,

looks ok to me

have to add i just checked it quickly to evaluate the possibilities. I have no manual at all to check what i can or cannot do, just the online thingie, somehow my cd doesn't have a pdf. (LW+Vue deal = no paper manual)

At the moment it looks cool to be able to generate random trees and export them to Lightwave.

btw, this is my first vue render :
http://users.skynet.be/bytehawk/3d/t_creek sunset.jpg

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 02:34 PM
That's cool!

And nice scene so far too.
I want to try exporting a tree as well and see how it turns out.
Or for that matter, any other plant.

BTW, just so you know, I have both the paper manual and of course the Help file html thingy,
but they are the same thing exacept I like the html better, so don't think you are
missing out on anything by not getting the paper version, cuz you're not.
Ask some others and they'll probably say the same thing, though some people prefer
to sit there AWAY from the computer and read a book like that, and keep getting refered
to some other page for more info and then when you get there you get refered to yet
more pages and so on and so on and it grates on my nerves, personally.

But, of course, to each their own :)
I'm just letting you know, that they are both the same.

................md :)

Bytehawk
08-14-2005, 02:39 PM
thanks,

i thought it also had some tutorials in it, but then i might be wrong.

anyway, i contacted tech support about this and haven't heard back yet.

I have to say, the package arrived friday. Comparing it to the dfx+ deal i got a few years back this looks quite flimsy, no tutorials, no manual, no box. just a double CD. Offcourse the contents counts, and we'll see about that once i get this through a decent project.

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, one thing you can say for Vue is, it's all pretty much non manual required.

I mean, you click on stuff and see the changes and it for the most part is very easy to learn.
You see a button that looks like it does a certain thing and you try it and it DOES that certain thing.

Did you check out my first growing tree animation in that thread yet?
Not nearly the greatest, but it was my first try and next time I'll do much
better now that I have a better clue as to what adjustments do what.

Oh, and as for the content CDs, there aren't any tutorials except the one that you get
from the Getting Started under Tutorials in Vue, but the content stuff, is all good and
I copied it all out from their seperate folders and put them in their respective installed
folders on my HD, since now I have gobs and gobs of free HD space. Heh, heh :)
Oh, and I found a ton of extra plants on that disk the other day,
but haven't yet unzipped them and installed them yet.
But I was glad to see they had a lot more plants then I thought.

Anyway, I have a free day today, so I'm going to beat the hell out of Vue today
and put it through as much crash testing as I can.

.............md :)

Bytehawk
08-14-2005, 03:14 PM
cool, i'm going to (ab)use vue tonight when i get off.

i got a few out of memory errors this noon trying to export a tree with 200000 polys. Wait till the LW hordes come in and discover that bug! you'll hear them scream from here to Paris.

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Oh, you know that'll happen LOL
I myself have already been having all the "fun" I ever wanted to have with that and
other memory errors and freeze-ups and out right crashes, as in just suddenly dissapearing LOL

But, at least I think I am working my way through things.
And after I get to where I think things are running better, I'll post a complete list
for everyone to check into to see if they might be able to get some help from them?

Note: I just realised that the extra plants that are zipped, are there only for people
who purchased them in some earlier version of Vue, from what the text file says
at least is how I understand it, otherwise you have to pay 10 bucks a plant!
So, unless someone else can confirm this or not, it looks like they aren't free.

...................md :)

dlk30341
08-14-2005, 06:52 PM
This is indeed true, they are around 10.00 a piece available over at E-ON's website. Oh, and if you choose to purchase they do in fact work in V5I :)

DigReal
08-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Bytehawk, all you got were cd's and no reference manual? That sounds odd to me, but then a lot of what e-on does seems odd. I'm not too crazy about the manual, so haven't looked at all that much. There are a few interesting looking sections that I haven't explored yet. There are also a bunch of tutorials I haven't looked at, yet.

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 07:37 PM
There's some tutorials in the paper version and they're not in the Help version?

Hmmm,,, I'll have to look into this.
Could be fun! :)

Of course, there are some pretty good tutorials over at Renderosity as well.

.........................md :)

BobBob
08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi Btyehawk,

Thanks for the info. Have just ordered the Vue 5I/Lw upgrade and will try out the plants. Looks like it will a good mix between the programs.

Will post some renders of trees (exported from Vue5) etc in LW in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Malcolm

DigReal
08-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Mark, there's about 60 pages of them. If they're in the help thing, I haven't seen them yet. They look really basic, but cover a lot of subjects. A good starting point, I suppose. Someday I hope to get to them.

mdunakin
08-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanx!

Once I get this stupid scene setup and redy to render,
then I can chill out for a while and read.
Or at least, brows through them to see if they'll be of any use to me or not?

Anyway, back to figuring out the best way to have far reaching terrains.

.........................md :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2005, 01:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.