PDA

View Full Version : low level raiders - photorealism???

Skyraider3D
02-21-2002, 07:10 AM
Howdy folks! :p

I just made a render of a couple of WW2 aircraft (Yak-9Ds) flying low over Romanian countryside.
The background photo was made last week during my trip to Romania, while the aircraft model is already a year old.

What do you think? Am I nearing photorealism yet?

Wartime colour photo:

http://skyraider.allaboutwarfare.com/files/offtopic/yaks_over_romania.jpg

Bad-quality wartime black&white photo:

http://skyraider.allaboutwarfare.com/files/offtopic/yaks_over_romania_bw.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

And if you like 3D aircraft, feel free to have a look on my website! ;)

Cheers!

Ronnie AKA Skyraider3D

null
02-21-2002, 08:02 AM
a little blur and sepia tone on the b/w one, and you'll have yourself a winner.

ACFred
02-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Hi Skyraider,

I do think you're getting close on the realism. For me, what takes away from the realism are two things.....

You have this bright reflection on the bottom plain and, while I don't expect them all to be that bright, I do expect to see at least some glints of highlight on the other planes.

The other thing is the scoop on the bottom of the closest plane -- and I assume it's the same on the others. It just looks to be shaded with a gray-green lambert and it breaks the overall continuity you have on the plane. The textures on the other parts of the plane are really nice. Even if you just vary the specularity on it, the scoop should have some sort of variation in it.

Very nice job, overall! Good to see the Yak as your subject.

Kee up the good work.

Alec

AnimaLMotheR
02-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Looks very good man.

D. Phoenix
02-21-2002, 08:25 AM
Very nice indeed. My only input is possibly the addition of increased film grain (on the color pic) of sufficient size to simulate the emulsion crystal of a photograph.

-D. Phoenix

goodson_cd
02-21-2002, 08:37 AM
man, I like that. looks great the sepia idea is a goot one.

Novadesigns
02-21-2002, 04:29 PM
Um... I thought Yaks had more hair... ;)

j/k I really like it! I agree about the specularity comments. The hero plane definitely needs some spe, but I think overall you're doing a killer job! :)

Troydm
02-21-2002, 05:36 PM
Cool model !!! I like it !!!
Where did u model it !!! In max?

Troydm
02-21-2002, 05:42 PM
Cool model !!! I like it !!!
Where did u model it !!! In max?

Staffan Norling
02-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Looks prettty damn good. A little too smooth maybe?

Anyways, the lpane in the bottom is very disturbing...The brightness kinda destroys the composition. It's too brigth, no matter where you try to look at the pic, the little bright plane always catches your attention. It becomes too dominating and draws the attention from the close plane...Soo, i'd lower the specular, reposition the lightsource or change the angle of the plane. And finally, i think the composition would be more pleasing if all planes had the same angle. I'd rotate the two low-flying planes to match them to the other planes. that way, you'd get some nice balance in the piccie by having the landscape tilded one way and the planes tilded the other...

CA3D
02-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Hmmmm..I thought YAK had horns too. ;) Anyway , beside that regretable lack of horns in the picture, man, you did a great job! I agree with specularity comments. The brightness of the bottom plane is unexpected high not corresponding to the luminance of the whole photo. And i am completely NOT agree with previous comment on the necessity of the same angle of the planes to make composition more pleasant. Photorealism is not only about pleasure.:)And beside that , its a war flight not an air-show.
Nice background picture. Curious, in what part of Romania it was taken???
In conclusion, very professional job. :);)
ps the black-white wartime photo is really good and very realsitic.....maybe because it's easier to achieve photorealism in bad-quality photos ??? just joking, man! :p

Staffan Norling
02-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Photorealism is not only about pleasure

Indeed. Photorealism is not about composition and making the image pleasing. But what good is a photorealistic image if looking at it is a pain? Composition, artistic touches and creativity comes first, then comes photorealism. A picture can look like a damn photo, but still be crap from an artistic point of view.

D. Phoenix
02-21-2002, 11:02 PM
Composition, artistic touches and creativity comes first, then comes photorealism.

Hello Staffan. Typically I would concur with this except that Ronnie is attempting to emulate the documentary / gun camera style war-footage. As such, I doubt combat pilots and war correspondence cameramen had the time or chance to 'artistically' portray combat situations.

Also in this case, one may separate critique into at least two categories: artisty (which is for the most part arbitrary and various from person to person), and photorealism accuracy which can be compared to actual photos.

-D. Phoenix

Staffan Norling
02-22-2002, 12:51 AM
As always, you're right. :)

Skyraider3D
02-22-2002, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all the comments! I will keep them in mind tonight when making the final image.

D. Phoenix, you got my exact intention! :)
Funnily, when I got comments about composition and 'lack of artistry' I always answered my website is about aviation first, art second, as 70% of my visitors come from aviation related sites. But to my great amazement I just discovered I am featured on CGChannel today and I already got well over 1000 visitors just today!! LOL! I think I have to become more of an artist now! ;)

Anyway, to answer some of the questions:

- The model was made in Max 3 about a year ago, textures in Paint Shop Pro. But I hadn't found time to make a proper render of it yet.

-The photo was made just a minute before landing on Otopeni airport near Bucharest on Valentine's day, while visiting my lovely girlfriend there!! ;)

".....maybe because it's easier to achieve photorealism in bad-quality photos ???"
IT IS! LOL!
You know, it took FOUR MINUTES to change the colour photo into the black an white one! Very cheap! Sorry! :P

Ok, gotto get rendering now ;)

Cheers!

Ronnie

Skyraider3D
02-24-2002, 07:15 AM
which one is better?
the old one (top) or the new one (bottom)???

http://skyraider.allaboutwarfare.com/files/offtopic/combi.jpg

I had to make a new one as it had to be at a higher resolution...
Damn was it hard to get the same 'feel' again!! This is not version "2" I can tell you...

Anyway, which one is more realistic you think???? Screw artistry! :P

urgaffel
02-24-2002, 08:49 AM
I think the lower one is the better of the two. Maybe add a slight haze to the planes farthest away from the camera to get a feeling of distance... But you know this already :) And I want a slight slight glow on the wings, but that's just me, and that probably won't help photorealism...

Nice job so far (as always ;P)

EighthDecay
02-24-2002, 09:06 AM
I them both,,, but if you can get that brightness on the wing on the lower right corner plane too be like that on the bottom pic,, I just like how bright it is in the top on,,, makes you feel the sun light is hitting it at the perfect angle. Keep up the good work Sky

y@

LouisBrowne
02-24-2002, 06:54 PM
Sup Ron

Seems your all famous, now you got your name up on the homepage :p I finally got round to checking out your work. It's looking tight from here. Esp like where the old war pic was going. I think you should take it further. See what happens when you overlay the colour render over the top.
-
PS. Didn't see you at Sugar this weekend, whys that?? You missed out dude(Oow, girlies!! :D) . K, cya at work :o

The Idiot King
02-24-2002, 11:01 PM
Nice work! What a coincidence. Last night my roommate was looking at Nazi warplanes, including the Bv141 B and similar designs. It's the first time I've seen some of them and we thought it would cool to model them and use grainy B&W filter to simulate WWII era photographs and film.

I like your B&W version, but it looks a bit like a photocopy of a photograph.. maybe the grain should be a little softer and it might look good with just a hint of sepia tone.

I can't seem to access my space at www.the3d.ws so I'll just attach an altered version of your B&W image, I hope you don't mind.

Awesome work, I love your website.

Skyraider3D
02-25-2002, 02:24 AM
y@, people were complaining the bright glow on the wing was wrong, since there is no strong sunlight present and I agreed. It looks nice in a way, but out of place... :)

Ey Louis my man :) Sugar... hmm, no thanks, been there done that! :p
About your idea over overlaying... maaaan... the original PSD file is 3600x1800 and has so many layers it tops up to a total of 169 MB!!! I am sure that overlay thing is in there too! ;)

The Idiot King, yeah sepia is nice, but open a book or website with WW2 images and they are all in greyscale. I tried sepia myself already and wasn't impressed enough by the looks to keep it. Hence: greyscale :) It was a 4-minute test anyway :p

xynaria
02-25-2002, 02:49 AM
Nice job, I prefer the lower one although perhaps the specularity on the bottom plane is too little now. Personally I would be tempted to really whack up the specularity on the main plane and place it in similar area to where it whites out on the b/w version using a spec map. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.