PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel 2005 John Meade.

Ranc0r
07-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Ive actually been sending this out for about 2 months now.
Just want to see what people think :)
enjoy

http://www.johndmeade.com/Gallery/Jmeade2005.mov

Ranc0r
08-02-2005, 01:41 PM
am i in the wrong forum?

Activator
08-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Maybe the problem is that, after waiting an eternity for the movie to download (Cable modem) with no indication except the Quicktime logo (you need to save the movie as a "quick start" movie so it plays AS it's downloading) the movie will not play. It is a white screen with no video or audio. :banghead:

Check your Quicktime file.

rmac
08-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I just watched your demo reel. And I have a few questions, what do you want to do? modeller, texture artist, generalist? You should state that at the beginning.
The camera movements of some of the scenes were stomach tossing. They were just too sharp and aren't totally necessary. I understand that you are trying to show all the detail that went into the scene. But just as a suggestion, use static cameras and maybe a few moving ones with spline curves.
The Orange Grove bank Transition title is too dark, I couldn't read what it said on the time it popped on the screen.

I hope this helps some. off to work

Rich M.

Chris Bacon
08-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Ok....first what are you wanting to get out of this....a animation job a texture artist..modeler.....be spesific.....

and second...and Im sorry I i seem out of order....but I did get bored....
try make it short and sweet....get in there with the bast you got.....if your doing models or textures I wana be amazed at the realism...and if your not into relism I wanna feel what the character is like just by looking at them...and if your wanting to do animation then I wanna be swept into the acting and the emotion of the characters...

if your wanting to be a generalist then you've got to blow anyone viewing your reel away with the quality....show your a real jack of all trades.....which in my opinion is probebly the hardest thing to do.....

again I dont meen to be out of order..but Im guessing you wanted crits....but KEEP at it......

Pooyag
08-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Wooow....The File is Huge/// i Personally cant Afford Downloading that With my adsl 256/128....Sorry...at least make the file a little smaller.
Give us Some Info about your demo reel....C'mon

Ranc0r
08-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Ok how do i make it a quick start file?
I am going for a Scenic Game artist/modeler/texture artist posistions. Specifically this reel was more geared towards Level design.
But from what im hearing getting into that job is like winning the lotto or becoming a doctor.
Thats why I have other things id be willing to do.

No Vivec I wasnt going for realism :) The second bank level "Orange Grove bank" was a semi higher poly game level. The transistion has been fixed in the version im sending out in dvd/vhs/cd, the text is now white.
The first was a very low poly shooting range for a game level. The whole lvl is only 15 thousand polys.
The shooting range was basicly just a showcase enviroment for the "The russian" Ak47 based rifle,and "The Italian" stilletto knife. Sorry you were bored definately not my intention :P

Random reel info

The aks poly count is 3k not triangulated. When its in tris the poly count would be the same as any current gen FPS game.

The knife is a mix of poly and sub d and is bumped /diplaced.

the size is 50 mb. Ive tried making smaller versions but they always look/or sound awful. Plus I was having some sound problems with my sound effects "popping" because of their BR when compressed further. I cant use any other sound codec than the Qdesign music 2. The vid codec is mpeg 4.

Everything was made in Maya 5.0 rendered with maya software.

Pooyag
08-02-2005, 06:59 PM
now...that's great,although i dont have any info on Level Design and stuff.
anyway,Good Luck With your goal achievement.

Ranc0r
08-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Ok whats a good size for my online reel?

Ive got another version thats got some slight distortion and its only 30 mb as opposed to the 55 mb one.
Is that better? Or make a smaller version?

Pooyag
08-05-2005, 08:49 AM
if you ask me,i'm saying that your Online Reel must be like 2/3 the or even smaller than the Real DVD version which is 720*576 for PAL and 720*486 for NTSC to ensure that your Reel Does not Strech on the Screen(TV) --- source Leigh Van der byl
that was just my Idea......it's kinda personal
btw are you using any Codec like Xvid or DivX ?

Ranc0r
08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
aaa ok. Well ive replaced the 60 mb one with a 30 mb quick start version :) Hope thats better.
If anyone really thinks it needs it ive got a 15 mb version but the distortion is BAD.

dragonlair81
08-08-2005, 09:42 PM
I think your biggest problem is that everything looks too clean. Throw some dirt and grime on a few things. I also thought your marble wall textures were too big. I mostly just think that if you add some dirt and slight impertections it would look a whole lot better. I mean have you ever seen a clean roof top. Not in the city I live in. For level design it look okay but what type of game would it be for doesn't really look like you can do anything in it. Nice models though.

Pooyag
08-09-2005, 02:40 PM
i watched your Reel and i believe i Should say that i didnt considerd it as an Animation but as you said a level design Reel which is not Ready to be accepted by any companies - it's all i think.
i, myself have worked in this field though not as an pro but as a novice and i think you have done a Good Job.... Try to make it more complex although you may not like it -The Animation, Texturing and Modeling(all the think you can improve) Till you havent Choosen the path-
That's all i can offer you man:)

doms
08-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Dont put camera moves into your showreel unless you know how to use a movie camera (try www.hollywoodcamerawork.com for tutorials), no one gets a perfect showreel first time so try some re-editing, also try mixing it up a bit, the chances are that on one in a company will look at more than 10-20 seconds of your reel. Try using divx 6 to encode (any one who has a Mac without VLC media player is an idiot anyway) or try .wmv encoder from Microsoft (if you know someone who knows how to set it up). G'luck

silent_soul
08-09-2005, 09:10 PM
You have some good modeling ability and an understanding of texture. Just don't be afraid to make it dirty and worn in. I liked the knife blade, but I would have thought it was made out of charcoal (lack of specular hilight, even some light wrapping around the edges would have helped) Just like everyone was saying, focus on something specific. And do it well.

if you want to do level design, Take me through a level. Show me how it is laid out; how it works. Let me see your trigger areas, character action triggers, etc. Level design takes a lot of thought and it must have a purpose.

Get rid of the music. Think about the lighting. If it is purposefully light that way, then rethink it. Nothing is that clean. Look in to ambient occlusion. I think it will help you. And don't go so crazy with the camera movements. I know its fun to move a camera all over the place. But think about how you would shoot physically. No shot in your reel could not be done with a real camera. Make it look that way. Do a bit of research.

Shorten it and make it a bit more dynamic. It's pacing makes me fell like there should be a story, but there isn't. and don't try to dress up your transitions of shots. Keep it simple. Let your work speak for itself.

Keep up the good work! Keep working, learning and observing!!

jussing
08-09-2005, 09:28 PM
aaa ok. Well ive replaced the 60 mb one with a 30 mb quick start version :) Hope thats better.
If anyone really thinks it needs it ive got a 15 mb version but the distortion is BAD.
Hi there! Here's my quick feedback. :)

First, it's still not a quickstart, you still have to download the whole thing do watch it. I have written a small tut about it here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=1668713) (step 17 is where you want to select "prepare for internet streaming").

Problem no. 1 with your work, as I see it, is lighting. You attempt to do big realistic scenery, but the reality is lacking, because the lighting is basic. Read a few tuts about ambient occlusion, radiosity, global illumination...

For instance, your rifle is obviously very skillfully modelled, but it falls flat because of a poor render. It would serve the model much better to be rendered with skylight or ambient occlusion (with or without textures), in a simple turn-table animation -- rather than lying on a non-photoreal table with poor shadows.

You are very good at modelling, but the poor renders hide your good work.

Cheers,
- Jonas

jussing
08-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Also, your reel is more than three minutes - your should cut that down to less than two. And even a two-minute reel is boring, unless it's highly entertaining to watch.

- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 09:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.