PDA

View Full Version : Laptop - Can you recommend one?

zapcat
07-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I currently use the Dell Inspiron 2650 which is damn slow and the screen is terrible for viewing images properly so I'm looking to get one with a screen that shows a decent representation of any image I'm editing. I mainly use it for photoshop work, emails, and surfing the web. I also want to use it in wireless zones like Starbucks. My operating system is XP Pro, and I will network it to my pc also using XP Pro. I would love to go for a Mac laptop, but I'm not sure about networking it to my pc.

I'm based in the uk. Can anyone recommend a decent laptop to meet my needs.

Thanks!

Zap

Energytwister
07-31-2005, 06:31 PM
The inter-networking between a mac (laptop or not) and a PC works right put of the box.
No problems coming up for you if you choose to buy an apple.
I have a powerbook myself and never had a problem with connectivity.

However, I do have to say that current PC laptops should be faster than an apple laptop.
So if you depend on raw speed, I would say apple is no option for you at the moment.
On the other hand - apple does have a lot of advantages other than speed: stability, design, Mac OS X, most things "just work" out of the box.

I myself am addicted to Mac OS X and would not want to switch back to Windows but you might not have a choice if you depend on speed...

(This is my personal opinion - so please everybody, don't start a war about it.)

mrtristan
07-31-2005, 07:03 PM
While a little pricey, I myself have just ordered a shiny new Alienware Area-71m 7700, which uses a desktop processor. It's big, but that's not a problem with me. It has a lot of usability features I like:

1. full-sized keyboard
2. decent monitor (17" wide WSXGA+ screen)
3. media controls on the front so you can play music without turning the machine on (ergo, portable stereo)
4. speedy (7200 rpm) hard drives in a RAID-1 setup

I've had an Alienware desktop since 2002, and have had zero problems with it. The support has been great, because I've upgraded it in several areas. Any questions I've had have been easy to find an answer, and I happen to like the fact that they do things like providing the motherboard manual. The desktop still works great, I just want a laptop now so I can go to a coffee shop or a classroom if I want to draw (digitally).

Other manufacturers, however, have very similar offerings. At work we still use Dell for our development machines, and they function pretty well. Though I'd definitely recommend fast hard drives, since Photoshop (i think) tends to utilise it for scratch work a lot.

Rambiert
07-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Gericom 1'st Supersonic (http://www.gericom.com/index.php?id=182&L=1&type=0)
find better at this price [1399,00 €]

Artikelbeschreibung:

WELTNEUHEIT!
1st Supersonic PCI E Notebook mit schnellster Grafik!

Dieses Notebook bietet überall die Kraft eines Desktop PC's und alle Multimedia- und Entertainment Anwendungen ihres Wohnzimmers für unterwegs, mit bis zu 4 Stunden Akkulaufzeit!

Intel Centrino Mobiltechnologie

Intel Pentium M Prozessor 740 (2MB Cache, 1,73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)
Intel 915 PM Chipset
Intel PRO/Wireless LAN

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
1024 MB DDR2 mit 533 MHz Arbeitsspeicher
schnellste nVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 mit 128 MB DDR3 PCI-Express zum Spielen
Fernsehen(analog), Radio hören, DVDs ansehen, Viedeos aufnehmen und drahtlos ins Netz
15,4" TFT Crystal bright Display mit 30% mehr Farben, Kontrast und Leuchtkraft
Ultraflach ca. 28 mm
Multistandard DVD-/CD Brenner mit Dual Layer Unterstützung
80 GB Festplatte
5in1 Multikartenleser

Anschlüsse:

1x Firewire
1x Mic-in
1x Audio-out
1x RJ45 10/100/1000MBit LAN
1x RJ11 Modem V90/V92
1x PCMCIA supporting Card Bus Tyype II
4x USB 2.0
5in1 Card Reader (XD/MMC/SD/MS/MS Pro)
FIR
VGA-Out / TV-Out(S-Video)

Sound:

High Definition Audio
Analog & Digital Audio (mit zwei integrierten Lautsprechern)

Software:

Microsoft Works Suite 2004
Flight Simulator 2004
Cyberlink CD's Software-Paket (Power Cinem 3.0, Power Director, Media@Show, Power2Go, Power Producer, Power DVD)
DivX PRO CODEC inkl. Player
Oki doki!
Bis sehen leute :)

zapcat
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at those recommendations, though the Alienware laptop may require membership of a gym as well if I hope to carry it around! ;)

Whilst I'm typing, can anyone recommend the best type of screen for a laptop to get the best picture? My TFT is pants and I expect there are better types out there.

Cheers

Zap

maelstrom
08-02-2005, 12:59 AM
get a Dell M70 :)

zapcat
08-02-2005, 08:16 AM
maelstrom - why do you recommend that laptop?

Energytwister
08-02-2005, 11:13 AM
I think you can buy any laptop you think suits you. Except a Gericom.
Here in Germany they have a really bad reputation and I think it's well deserved...

XenaTrek
08-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm happy with mine, tho color managment is really crap, as I need to go to a desktop to ensure color correction as on the laptop it looks perfect and ready to go and then ends up being way too dark on a desktop.

I'm planning on selling it to a coworker of mine and probably will invest in a Sony Vasio that my friend has with Xbrite technology.

XenaTrek.

zapcat
08-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Xenatrek - Why that laptop? Is the screen better? I have the same problems on my dell laptop as you... :(

Zap

Gein
08-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm considering buying a Vaio aswell. It's hard to find a good mix between desktop replacement, mobility, aesthetics and price... :shrug:
That said, I'm inclined to the FS series. The screen is amazing, the specs are ok (i'm bumping the hard drive and ram after I buy it) and I can live with the rest since my wallet won't be hit that much.

Anyone knows if Centrinos laptops work good with Linux? Fedora specially.

The M70 also impressed me specs wise, but I have never seen one myself, so it's hard to make a good judgment.

Any help and recommendations is welcomed.

(Sorry about the english...)

PatternRecognition
08-02-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm also looking for a laptop. Leigh once posted a pic of her laptop at work, next to the workstation and all and I was incledibly impressed with the screen she had. It was a 15.4 Compaq Inspirion R3000 I think, but as I did research I couldn't find anything with the same screen that also had a Pentium M, an even better graphics card and good battery life (3 hours is enough for me, also you can always turn the screen brightness down when in uni and extend that a bit). I don't know how much power the AMD mobile processors chug and about their preformance first hand but I've heard not so good reviews about them. Anyone care to correct me?

XenaTrek
08-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Xenatrek - Why that laptop? Is the screen better? I have the same problems on my dell laptop as you... :(

Zap

Xbrite technology from Sony allows better color management, or so 'they' said. I've seen a few of my friend's work on Vasio in 3D and 2D animation as well as photoshop graphic type stuff and they look a lot better then what I can see with my Dell Laptop.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* my dell especially for the processing power and is a little bit faster and smarter then my desktop which is a little over 4 years old. Tech support said there is a way to set the color management, yet thru a few walkthrus and even had a few geektech friends look at it, they are lost with it. :o( I"m just tired of having to run from one computer to another to get the render I want out of the projects, especially when the file sizes can get enormously huge.

XenaTrek.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.