PDA

View Full Version : Linda Bergkvist Video Tutorial

Zeicon
07-31-2005, 04:38 PM
No, unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet, but...

Linda is basically the reason I got into 2D art, and I'm a great admirer of her work. Of course I have read all her written tutorials, and while they are informative and serve as guidelines, I would really love to see Linda produce a video lecture so that I can better grasp her techniques. I'm a visual learner so needless to say a video lecture in which Linda paints a masterpiece (all her paintings are masterpieces, right?) from start to finish would be like the holy grail to me - an aspiring 2D & 3D artist.

She could do that video tutorial herself, or she could sign a deal with Gnomon. Gnomon does not have any DVDs that specifically adresses the painting of the human form (digitally).

Show your support and interest in this!!!

(Sorry, I posted this in the Photoshop section as well, but decided it was better to post it here. Feel free to delete the other thread)

CGmonkey
07-31-2005, 05:17 PM
I think the problem with doing a video tutorial on an entire painting is that I assume even she doesn't doesn't nail a painting on the first try.
While it would be interesting and you would learn stuff you won't be able to draw like her just because you see a video. It's a culmination of years of practice. Why don't you try to develop your own sense of style, your own techniques.

Zeicon
07-31-2005, 05:55 PM
I think the problem with doing a video tutorial on an entire painting is that I assume even she doesn't doesn't nail a painting on the first try.
She can always cut out mistakes and speed things up in certain places. Fact is, it has been done before. Take Neville Page and his Wildebeest DVDs for example. I just want something similar - with Linda.

While it would be interesting and you would learn stuff you won't be able to draw like her just because you see a video.
Oh, come on. I know that alright?

Why don't you try to develop your own sense of style, your own techniques.
I will. But I would like to study Linda's techniques as well. As a Maya artist, I would never be where I'm at now if it wasn't for all the amazing artists from whom I have learned a myriad of different and extremely useful techniques.

Why are we being so skeptical here? Seems to me that a lot of people out there are envious of the success Linda has had lately. Can't we just agree that a video lecture, such as the aforementioned, would be a tremendous asset for the community? I would gladly pay Linda for her efforts as I believe learning from such talent is priceless. It would unquestionably help me, and other aritsts, to build a foundation from which to develop a more distinct, personal style.

CGmonkey
07-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Why are we being so skeptical here? Seems to me that a lot of people out there are envious of the success Linda has had lately. Can't we just agree that a video lecture, such as the aforementioned, would be a tremendous asset for the community? I would gladly pay Linda for her efforts as I believe learning from such talent is priceless. It would unquestionably help me, and other aritsts, to build a foundation from which to develop a more distinct, personal style.

envious? Just because I'm not a fanboy that dedicate my entire artistic existence to her doesn't mean I'm envious. Opinions are opinions, I happen to admire Linda and as a fellow swedish citizen I'm very proud of all the success she's had.

Why do you want to study her techniques? Buy D'artiste, and it will be ground enough for you to apply her techniques. Of course it would be fun for her if she nailed a gnomon contract.

Zeicon
07-31-2005, 07:41 PM
I never said you were envious. I just didn't understand your skeptical attitude.

Why would I want to study her techniques? Isn't it pretty obvious?

1. I wanna learn.
2. Linda is an amazing artist.
3. I wanna learn from Linda.

Simple as that.

I started this thread, not to argue whether a video lecture by Linda is a good idea or not, but to express my support and interest in the idea. I was hoping that other people would respond to show Linda that they are interested as well; not to tell me to go practice (which I am doing every single day anyway).

MSB
07-31-2005, 07:51 PM
agree...dvd like that would be priceless..

Kragh
07-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, me too...really would like to study her techniques...not to copy, but to widen my approach to digital painting...

rokxal
07-31-2005, 09:48 PM
A video especially one done through the entire process of a painting would take much too long. Also, the prospect of a video that was recording your every stroke might detract from an artist's work and abilities. Its never good to feel self cautious while drawing so a video might be a nono. Gnomon has made a few dvds on painting but i believe all of the artists were properly compenstated.

ScottJohnson
07-31-2005, 10:02 PM
I think something like this would be to much to ask any reputable artist, unless they were compensated (for example, the Gnomon dvds).

On a side note, I understand where Cgmonkey is coming from, but I do believe he/she is being a little harsh on Zeicon. For example, I've watched video's of 'Dusso' painting, and Ryan Church, but i'm not trying to be a carbon copy of either artists style.

I'd also recommend purchasing the D'artiste: Digital Painting book to study. It doesn't teach you fundamentals, but it gives you different techniques on how various artists work, and can help you learn more techniques to try and as you develope your own personal style.

Zeicon
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
When I say a lecture featuring a project from start to finish, I do not necessarily mean every single stroke. Just starting from a blank canvas to a finished picture. Of course the artist can edit and cut out stuff. Parts of the video could be played back at 2x or 3x normal speed and have the artist explaining what's being done at normal speed just like Neville Page's DVDs. I already explained this. It's not like I'm sitting here requesting. I'm praying with my hands folded. But really... I would buy ANY KIND of video lecture with Linda.

And I don't want no book. I want to see Linda working as if I was standing behind her, watching over her shoulder.

However, I agree that Linda may not feel comfortable working while being taped... :shrug:

L.Rawlins
07-31-2005, 11:07 PM
And I don't want no book. I want to see Linda working as if I was standing behind her, watching over her shoulder.

I don't know about the lady herself, but damn... I was slightly creeped out when I read that bit. :D Of course... I did just finish watching Scream 3 on TV. :p

Zeicon
07-31-2005, 11:11 PM
yea, perfect... now I'm a pervert too :rolleyes:

L.Rawlins
07-31-2005, 11:16 PM
yea, perfect... now I'm a pervert too :rolleyes:

Pervert?... I don't know what version of Scream you've seen but this one had psychos.

Not that I'm incinuating you are infact a psycho... er, but neither am I agreeing that you're a pervert... so, um... heh...

I'm just going to stop talking now... *whistles casually and walks away* :)

Zeicon
07-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Well, I was being sarcastical... and btw. you added that part about Scream after I had posted so I wasn't sure exactly what you meant... but you know, it's cool :>

Squibbit
07-31-2005, 11:36 PM
sweet, Zeicon just basicaly asked another Gnomon DVD, where
an artist paints a pic from start to finish while explaining his
or her workings and thinking in the process and people start
throwing him around.

Zeicon..KILL!!

I asked her about this on her 2D choice thread for her Master and Servant
entry "Spoiled"

here's what she replied:

" Squibbit -- Heheh, see? I'm getting to your questions now,a t last!

And, ya, I'm going to keep on painting. No worries there. I've not done any Gnomon DVD's - they've not asked me, and I'm not sure if I'd be any good at that kind of thing, to be honest. Heheh, maybe it WOULD work if I DID do it in Swedish - at least then I'd know that it would sound like absolute gibberish to most people. As for blue cheese - ewwwww….
"

umm.. if if there's something u don't quite get there, go find the question, too :D

Zeicon
07-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Hah Squibbit, nice one. I'm from Denmark. I understand Swedish so that's cool. You other folks can have subtitles if Linda is not comfortable speaking English (I think she is though) hehe...

And as for the cheese part. I don't quite get that one :>

FloydBishop
08-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I really enjoyed her section in the D'Artiste book. It would be cool to see her do a video on the subject. Even if it was just a Camtasia or something.

I think people would get a lot more out of it. It would be interesting to see just how she does her brush strokes and such. The D'Artiste painting step by steps were nice, but the video would be even better, I think.

Lunatique
08-01-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm not sure if Linda's style would suit Gnomon's general focus. Gnomon is a school for visual special effects/animation/CG production, and if you look at all the 2D DVD's they've done, they are all related to pre-production work for film/games. What Linda does is essentially a very specialized type of style and genre. She does one thing, and she does it better than anyone else, and that is painting dark fantasy fairies in a beautiful, idealized realism style. But would that really be helpful to people who want to learn preproduction for special efects/animation/film/TV..etc? What she does isn't catered to productions--she does it to please herself, and she doesn't have to answer to anyone. That is probably why Gnomon have not, and probably will not approach her.

I'm sure there are others out there who would be very interested in making a "Watch Linda paint" type of DVD that has nothing to do with preproduction in the entertainment industries. For people who don't want to learn how to paint mattes or concept art or textures, but only want to learn to paint beautiful fantasy characters, I think Linda would be the best candidate. However, I really believe that if she made a DVD, the number of Enalya-clones would rise to ridiculous numbers. For concept artists like Ryan Church, Dusso, Feng Zhu..etc, having copycats rip their style after watching their DVD's isn't really much of a problem, because preproduction art is all about problem solving for production, and most of the time these artworks are kept within the company unless the company allows you to show them publically. They are not personal expressions of dreams and hopes and stories--they are commercial works that serve only one purpose--to help get the film/game/TV show made. But what Linda's does is the very core of her imagination and dreams as a person--they are a direct representation of her. She does it to express herself, to tell her stories, and they are all personal works. Her painting style is as much of that uniqure personal expression as her subject matters. To have people copying that would be a lot more damaging than to have people copying commercial concept artists. Linda's work is highly specialized, and her painting style works perfectly with her subject matters. In fact if you seperated the two and use her painting style to depict other subject matters, or use other painting styles to depict her subject matters, you would probably end up with something not quite as nice. So in the end, I think people who want to learn to paint from Linda essentially want to learn to paint ethereal beauty like her--and that's really just copying her. There are already Enayla-clones out there, and I'm pretty sure you guys have seen them. They ripoff not only the subject matter but also the painting style. I'm sure Linda is not too thrilled about it, and I doubt she'd be happy if a DVD she made leads to even more Enayla-clones.

If you want to just learn about painting, then you can learn that from a lot of sources. For example, there are some AMAZING painters out there who have DVD's that follow their entire painting process for many hours--camera glued to the canvas and the palette--with them explaining and teaching why they paint the way they do non-stop. Some of the best of the best painters on planet earth have these instructional DVD's--they are so good that I'd bet even Linda would be amazed by their sheer talent and skill:

Richard Schmid DVD's: http://www.richardschmid.com/video.html

Morgan Weistling DVD:
http://www.lilipubs.com/scripts/shopplus.cgi?DN=lilipubs.com&CARTID=%cartid%&FILE=/shop/GuestMW.htm

Scott Burdick DVD: http://www.lilipubs.com/scripts/shopplus.cgi?DN=lilipubs.com&CARTID=%cartid%&FILE=/shop/GuestSB.html
http://www.burdicklyon.com/2004scott10.htm

And Jeremy Lipking's got one coming (I'm totally looking forward to his):
http://www.lipking.com/

I think Linda is extremely generous to have shared as much as she has already by doing highly detailed tutorials that gave away some amazing secrets to her painting style. If she chooses to do a DVD, I sincerely hope people who buy them will watch them purely out of interest to watch her work, not to ripoff her style. She's such a nice person that I'd hate to see her getting ripped off more than she already has.

PatternRecognition
08-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Lunatique (member.php?u=2652), thank you for the excellent links! I think It's time I start saving up for some of those. I also agree with what you say. Maybe.. just maybe a Linda DVD will inspire people to be more diverse? I have indeed seen many clones but they usually go on to develope a personal style after a while. Maybe more clones will urge them to do so faster?

tester1111
08-01-2005, 07:35 AM
I rather watch a master artist paint than to watch another 2 hour hollywood watch and forget film anyday. I'm not saying the effects are bad in movies, but 95% of the hard work artists do never make in to the screen. Just how many more ways can they make gloified movies of people in love with themselves.

tinitus
08-01-2005, 08:11 AM
oh well okay...here are my two cents:

1.I think Linda already knows that she is more than just simply famous out here at 'cgsociety-land' and that a lot of people would love to read and/or see her next tutorials...so why do we discuss this without her opinion?why do we discuss anyway?it's Lindas decision and if you want to thank her ,to ask her for another tutorial or a video tutorial so write her a PM or a Mail...

2.About 'clones'...well...I heard so much about 'clones' lately...that I want to say...you can't just copy ones technique or style or whatever without practicing a lot...and if you are painting so hard and much like good painter do...you're developing your own style automatically...so at the end you've got your own styles and techniques and if you're not simply take a painting and repaint it(or use copy/paste functions)...your not a 'clone' even if you began just with this one goal to become like this famous artist you admire so much!
so if this wouldn't be so you have to call every sci-fi movie a 'SW-clone' and every fantasy movie a 'LOTR-clone' ...and you have to say that in every movie in which the reality is not like it used to be...it might be a 'Matrix-clone'!

dioxide
08-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I would be against an entire dvd of watching someone painting an entire scene. I would rather see a video(a short one) of her process of blending and such, which is a method that is hard to grasp from those tutorials she does with pictures.

Euphrosyne
08-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I believe that everyone here already knows that you could watch someone paint from here to eternity and you still couldn't paint just like them you could only copy them. So the point is not "trying to be Linda" but trying to learn some really outstanding digital painting techniques that might help us to improve our own painting styles and better convey our own vision. I don't see anything wrong with admiring the mastery or techniques of another artist, or wanting to learn artistic techniques from a master.

I believe that there could very well be a market for a video like you suggested, because Linda has a lot more knowledge and techniques than those presented in "'D' Artist". I have the book and I love it, but I was thirsty for more technical information such as brush settings and layer settings, etc. I would like to learn more from Linda and would be willing to pay for a DVD if it contained more of the technical details pertaining to how to use photoshop more efficiently to get the effects I want in my own paintings.

Just my little ole opinion,:wavey:

Euphrosyne

Zeicon
08-01-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure if Linda's style would suit Gnomon's general focus. Gnomon is a school for visual special effects/animation/CG production, and if you look at all the 2D DVD's they've done, they are all related to pre-production work for film/games.
Untrue. Take Bob Kato's 3 Gnomon/Design Studio DVDs for example:
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/bka03.html

I have indeed seen many clones but they usually go on to develope a personal style after a while.
Exactly. Like watching a particular artist work instantly makes you a clone of that artist? I'm just not buying that. Just because Linda has specialized in painting fairies (just an example), doesn't mean that her techniques can only be applied to fairies. In the end it's about the final artwork, not about the techniques used to get there. If Linda's techniques can somehow help me to visualize my own original artworks and develop a more personal style later on, that's cool.

I think Linda already knows that she is more than just simply famous out here at 'cgsociety-land' and that a lot of people would love to read and/or see her next tutorials...so why do we discuss this without her opinion?why do we discuss anyway?it's Lindas decision and if you want to thank her ,to ask her for another tutorial or a video tutorial so write her a PM or a Mail...
Or if I want to start a thread about it, I just do that. Linda is more than welcome to give us her own opinion on the matter. Showing interest and support in a public space is a more powerful way to show that there's a demand. And it may even attract the attention of some more 'influential people' that can take Linda under their wings (you know what I'm talking about). Yea, I'm sure they know about Linda already, but if we SHOW them what we WANT, maybe that will push them to take that last step (it doesn't hurt to try anyway). Plus I, personally, was curious to see if other people were as excited about the idea as myself. If people want to discuss whether a video lecture by Linda is a good idea or not, hey, I'm not stopping them. I just don't see the downside of a such initiative. The worst thing it could possibly do is to benefit the community hah...

jmBoekestein
08-01-2005, 05:34 PM
:curious: Push and shuff if you ask me. Seems a rude way to do this. Better to ask first and get informed than to start barging around like this. I imagine she must have better things to do than constantly explain to people how to paint. She's in it for the painting in the end, as most here. In this respect I'd wonder how many exercises you have been doing as opposed to reading and watching others do their work. ;) Just my 2 cents. Almost looks like you expect to be able to make the same quality art just by watching her paint, heh.

Zeicon
08-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Seems a rude way to do this.
What's rude about complimenting an artist in public and expressing how much you would love to learn from that particular person? You're the one being rude.

Better to ask first and get informed than to start barging around like this.
The primary purpose of this thread was never to be informed.

I imagine she must have better things to do than constantly explain to people how to paint.
Exactly. So next time when people ask how she does it, she can simply say "go buy my DVD". Pretty nifty, huh?

In fact, I think Linda is one of those persons who takes great pride in helping other people, and I don't blame her. Giving something back to the community and the new generations that look to her for inspiration, seems as meaningful as the art itself.

In this respect I'd wonder how many exercises you have been doing as opposed to reading and watching others do their work.
You wonder a lot. As I said in #5 (yea, maybe you should actually read and get informed first), I practice every single day. And no, I cannot give you specifc numbers as to how many exercises I have done.

Almost looks like you expect to be able to make the same quality art just by watching her paint, heh.
Yea, and it almost looks like you expect to become an award-winning psychiatrist from your stunning display of empathic understanding. You read me like an open book.

Just my 2 cents.
Why, thank you. You can have them back now.

UrbanKunoichi
08-01-2005, 06:30 PM
No, unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet, but...

Linda is basically the reason I got into 2D art, and I'm a great admirer of her work. Of course I have read all her written tutorials, and while they are informative and serve as guidelines, I would really love to see Linda produce a video lecture so that I can better grasp her techniques. I'm a visual learner so needless to say a video lecture in which Linda paints a masterpiece (all her paintings are masterpieces, right?) from start to finish would be like the holy grail to me - an aspiring 2D & 3D artist.

She could do that video tutorial herself, or she could sign a deal with Gnomon. Gnomon does not have any DVDs that specifically adresses the painting of the human form (digitally).

Show your support and interest in this!!!

(Sorry, I posted this in the Photoshop section as well, but decided it was better to post it here. Feel free to delete the other thread)

I completely agree with your statement, though I think it may be unlikely that she will actually create a video tutorial. Linda Berkghvist is the reason I got into digital painting as well. I practice all the time and I am head over heels in love with the particular media. Her paintings have been an inspiration to me through and through, and I have loved all of her tutorials. I especially enjoyed D'Artiste, though her tutorial in it is less instructional than explanatory. I hope though that we both get our wishes and she publishes a video tutorial, though I will still have to practice a lot myself and develop my own techniques.

~Eleine

jmBoekestein
08-01-2005, 08:48 PM
In fact, I think Linda is one of those persons who takes great pride in helping other people, and I don't blame her. Giving something back to the community and the new generations that look to her for inspiration, seems as meaningful as the art itself.

Yes she seems to be very good in helping people out and happy to do so. Allthough 'giving back' seems to be somewhat misplaced here. Giving without expecting something back?

Why, thank you. You can have them back now.

How charming...:)

I wonder if you understand my point about rudeness. Seems 'blatently obvious' is the only way for you.

here you go: for focused learning (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)

Squibbit
08-01-2005, 09:00 PM
shuddup JM, we are for peace, Zeicon speaks smart stuff, no question,
now let's let this chill and wait for the DVD's to appear or this thread to
disappear in the wind , which would be a bit sad , cuz all the lady need
to do is to sign a paper and fly somewhere and babble and paint there
in front of a camera for a few hours :wise: haha yea j/k argh relax people

jmBoekestein
08-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Dude, it's just weird to be that pushy. If it happens it happens. Just be happy she likes to help out with her talents. I bet she's busy enough making her book and what else not. :shrug:

Now I'll shuddup!

tiddlebits

Squibbit
08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
all he said in his in his first post was lots of nice stuff
plus "show your support for this", which really ain't a bigger
deal than giving birth to yet another yay linda thread , which
is totally harmless, no worries, mate :p

Zeicon
08-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Allthough 'giving back' seems to be somewhat misplaced here. Giving without expecting something back?
Linda has probably learned a lot from the community. It's not like she has been sitting in a dark, empty room, practicing and honing her skills all alone with absolutely no influences. Of course she has been inspired by other artists in the community as well, and I'm sure she has been taught by others in some way or another. In other words, she has received from the community. Making a video lecture for the community is certainly GIVING BACK to the community - if you know what I mean. It's not like she is in debt and has to SHOW US THE MONEY! And it's not like she hasn't already given anything back to the community.

If it happens it happens
I think your expression 'blatantly obvious' will do here.

cuz all the lady need
to do is to sign a paper and fly somewhere and babble and paint there
in front of a camera for a few hours
Of course that's true. It might be difficult for Linda to do an actual Gnomon lecture if it requires her to travel all the way to Hollywood. And it probably does :/

jmBoekestein
08-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah true. Idea's good enough allright. Better stick with that. :wip:

Zeicon
08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
The talk wasn't about a Gnomon DVD in particular to begin with. I just want to see Linda lay down the strokes. Not you mow down my hopes :D

jmBoekestein
08-01-2005, 10:14 PM
That wasn't my intention at all. I'm used to being honest with myself or something. So I may come across as harsh I presume. Not offended anylonger I hope?

Zeicon
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Would you like a cup of coffee?

:)

EDIT: Maybe I should rephrase that and make it a beer instead. :beer:

Which basically translates into:

No hard feelings.

jmBoekestein
08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
lol, actually just got one to give you some time to post. heheh :D

As to being more on topic, lol, I would be terribly interested to hear about her choice of colours and how she views 'bending the rules' to get more from an image. And image composition. So yeah, I'd love to see a video(but rather the book though lol).

And by being harsh I meant things like, studying her works instead of technique, or art theory and stopping to aspire to achieve someone elses goal ;). Which is probably tough since there's os much great stuff out there. Still, just my opinion.

Piece of puzzling.
edit: Yeah, it's all good, no hard feelings

Zeicon
08-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Honestly, I didn't know she was doing a book. I know I said earlier that I didn't want no book, but if it's a book written by Linda about Linda featuring Linda as Linda, I might just buy it. Oh what the hell am I saying...

Anyway, I want to know more about this book. Is there more to know?

jmBoekestein
08-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Hmm...she was in the meet the artist forum, paperclip took notes and there's a summarised version which seems an easy read by comparison to the original thread. Very good useful info. here's a link: interview of Linda Bergkvist, summarised by paperclip (http://features.cgsociety.org/cgtalk/meettheartists/linda_bergkvist/)

;)

Enayla
08-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi fellas.

I'm humbled to hear that I have been such an inspiration to someone. Thank you.

The reason to why I have not done a video tutorial, and the reason to why I think I won't, is that I would really, really like to take the focus off how I do things and back to what I paint. I have done D'artiste, I've done countless of 'free' tutorials, and I've done, lately, a tutorial on painting features for a UK magazine. It's starting to feel as if though enough is enough, at some point. I love helping people out and it's part of why I hang out in forums in the first place (to help and be helped), but I don't want that to be all that I'm about.

Doing a tutorial now and then because I want to show some appreciation for the community is one thing. That's on my own time and I choose how much of myself I want to give away. Doing a video that shows all my techniques, brush stroke to brush stroke, that have taken me years and years to assemble and that are as personal and individual to me as the shape of my hands or the feel of my skin... I just honestly wouldn't like that.

It's difficult to explain and I don't know what words to pick, but that's part of what it comes down to. I am very happy that you guys like my efforts to help so far, but you're going to have to make do with that. I'll continue making tutorials from time to time because I want to help if I can, but I won't sit down and give away every brush stroke and detail of how I work. It's not about money - you couldn't possibly pay me enough to do it. It's not about the copycats, though admittedly, that part of it is starting to bother me more than I would care to admit.

And then here's the thing...

If I get the choice between showing someone how to paint, and just simply painting - guess what I'm going to pick. I want to make my money through painting, creating things, being creative and coming up with stories, pictures, colours. I don't want to make my money trying to strip down what I do from an experience like nothing else, to techniques and numbers and brushes that other people can dissect.

So, please, I'd be overjoyed if the focus was shifted from how I paint to the actual paintings. I'm just a learner, just like you. I'm trying to get a grasp on things, as well.

Again, thank you - I really appreciate it, I'm happy I've been an inspiration, but the more people ask me for tutorials, the less inclined I feel to make them. If it's all about the technique in the end, there's just no point to it. Technique isn't how I want to make a living.

As for books - next book will have nothing to do with technique. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. If it's only the technique you want, I'm sure to post a tutorial or two now and then, but that'll basically be... it, as they say. I'll not go more indepth than a tutorial.

(and now back to my vacation... which ends on Thursday, waaa!)

Lunatique
08-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Linda - Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured too. Like I said in my previous post, your painting style is as much of the magic as your subject, and they work off of each other perfectly. To strip them apart would be to lose that magic. This is more true for you than most other artists. I doubt people who want the DVD only want the style, because they are enchanted by the subject matter too--that's why they're your fans.

I for one would much rather see more beautiful paintings from you, because that's what makes you tick as a person--that's your passion and it rubs off on others.

I think the world of internet and instructional DVD's have made people less resourceful and analytical. Many of them wants to be spoon-fed everything, instead of actually paying their dues, learning and thinking on their own. The number of people who are looking for "miracle tutorials" or "miracle custom brushes" or "miracle DVD's" are putting their hopes in the wrong places. The only way to get better is to drill the art foundations into their head with practice and study. Style is something that happens naturally when you have arrived as an aritst--not something you can plan for. The ones who plan for a style--you can ALWAYS tell because it doesn't feel sincere. Like other have said before, these people eventually move on and develop a more unique style--this happens as you mature as an artist.

ceresz
08-02-2005, 11:34 AM
det är okej att du inte vill göra en video tutorial Linda, dina vanliga tutorials är mer än tillräkligt, samt dina målningar, att bara få titta på dom räcker för mig, och för alla andra, hoppas jag....

tack!

-skurai-

jmBoekestein
08-02-2005, 02:09 PM
:wise: Engrish prease!

And on top the digital media allow for so many options to create a painting that it's probably best to start exploring on your own. :) It'll broaden your options and views on art most likely. If not better help you to develop your own feel for painting. :)

Squibbit
08-02-2005, 02:21 PM
:wise: Engrish prease!

he said it's ok that she's not making a dvd and umh... that the tutorials she's given here
are more that one could hope for already and that at summertime he likes to wear only a
white t-shirt and a kilt while walking the crowded sunny city streets and then suddenly
stand on his head and make sounds like a duck !!

er.. my swedish was never that good, I hope I got everything right there

jmBoekestein
08-02-2005, 02:40 PM
:surprised ....yeah...

I could've sworn I read something about collecting malignant dinosaurs, and dancing bears.

Frojack
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
You tell em' Enayla. I really don't think some people really understand how personal art is. To badger someone about their art is almost an invasion of privacy.

ceresz
08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
he said it's ok that she's not making a dvd and umh... that the tutorials she's given here
are more that one could hope for already and that at summertime he likes to wear only a
white t-shirt and a kilt while walking the crowded sunny city streets and then suddenly

. . . . .
wtf!?
that made me laugh:D
anyway, i didn't say that.....
(heres it is in english)

det är okej att du inte vill göra en video tutorial Linda, dina vanliga tutorials är mer än tillräkligt, samt dina målningar, att bara få titta på dom räcker för mig, och för alla andra, hoppas jag....

tack!

it's okay that you don't want to make a video tutorial Linda, your normal tutorials are more than enough, aswell as your paintings, to just look at them is enough for me, and for everybody else, i hope....

thanks!

Zeicon
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Thank you Linda for your input. If you don't feel like doing a video lecture, you shouldn't. End of story.

However, it wasn't because I wanted to steal your techniques. A lot of people seem to have gotten that impression.

Just to show you that I can actually think on my own, here are two projects I'm currently working on (2D and 3D respectively):

Here's a painting I just started:
http://www.mamasbluesjoint.com/painting.jpg

And here's a character for an animation project:
http://www.mamasbluesjoint.com/samurai_test.jpg

I'm 18 so there's still hope :<

umbrellasky
08-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Although it would be amazing to see a 'video' tutorial from Linda I can understand how she feels (well a little :P) and I think if I were in your shoes Linda I don't think I would want to do a tutorial like that. There are some secrets/techniques that you kinda want to keep to your self. Only give enough to the public to get them started or to have a little insight into how you work but only enough so that they can develope on there own. You've obviously worked hard to get where you have and you don't want people to feed of you too much, they should try to challenge themselves a little.

I think it's a shame that some people only want you for your tutorials rather than your art. It's great to learn from you and the tutorials you have given us so far have been wonderful. But that's not what you are all about and I think there are a few people who need to remember that.

Can't wait to see another painting from you Linda!

Squibbit
08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
...anyway, i didn't say that.....
(heres it is in english)...

:blush:

oh yea,dat's how it went.

One learns english/dutch dictionary ain't good for covering
holes in one's understanding of swedish

I'll use a proper dictionary next time, terribly sorry :D

Zeicon
08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
I just bought this video lecture instead...
http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=42

Oh, and just because I'm very focused on learning and developing, doesn't mean I don't stop to admire and appreciate Linda's work. If that was what you were insinuating...

tinitus
08-03-2005, 06:00 PM

DAMN Squibbit ... this was the funniest post I've every read in my life ... :scream: :thumbsup: thx a lot!

...jetzt muss ich mir nur noch die tränen aus den augen wischen...

bedlam
08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
haha, inte dåligt.. en kilt, och en anka? :)

wellwell, I can certainly understand how you feel Linda. Thanks for the tutorials you´ve given us, we´ll just have to sit, stare at your work, be amazed, and hopefully learn something on our own :)

ps. antar att ume har varit stendött i sommar? studenterna flyr fältet och vaaad är kvar? :)

circumlocutious
08-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I just bought this video lecture instead...
http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=42

Oh, and just because I'm very focused on learning and developing, doesn't mean I don't stop to admire and appreciate Linda's work. If that was what you were insinuating...

Chill... nobody blamed you of doing anything wrong (ok... one person did, but for continuity's sake, ignore him...)

I give you credit for putting yourself out on the line and saying what you feel (minus 10 points cuz it's the internet).

Linda and Lunatique - Wow.... well thought out, well worded and ironically very soul-baring posts...

Although, if you do consider it, use the Swedish Chef's dialect please.

umbrellasky
08-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Zeicon (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=93269) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2513078", true); : Sorry, What I said wasn't aimed directly at you...gah it's so hard to talk over internet. I was just saying about how some people are towards amazing artists. I too love learning from artists with wonderful skills I jsut understand their feelings on the issues such as creating dvds...again sorry if it sounded like I was implying things about you...I don't know you so, yeah sorry.

depleteD
08-04-2005, 03:53 PM
you shoulda renamed this thread homes,
i came here expecting some ownij tutoring.

But yes, if she did a dvd i would definatley shell out the cash, i have some of the gnomon ones and they excelled me where school never could. I cant stress how amazing those dvds actually are.

start a petition and email her till she makes one?? (j/k that would be HARRASSMENT) :O
-andrew

umbrellasky
08-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I've been thinking of buying a couple of the Gnoman DVD's wasn't sure how good they are though...

FabioMSilva
08-04-2005, 08:34 PM
While it would be interesting and you would learn stuff you won't be able to draw like her just because you see a video. It's a culmination of years of practice. Why don't you try to develop your own sense of style, your own techniques.

problem? if it hadnt one of those then i'd worry. I usually find the parts where artists encounter problems the most useful parts:D

gnarlycranium
08-06-2005, 01:22 AM
I myself would probably slaughter many innocent pedestrians rushing to the store to get such a DVD if it were ever made-- but I don't think the community's similar desire to see it would be so simple and tawdry as copying techniques. Not that they -could- be copied at all, since so much of what Linda does is based on.. well, sheer talent. A ballet dancer can show everyone and explain exactly what steps to use, but how many people really could follow?

I'm still learning photoshop, myself, and I'm horribly interested in the basic sublteties of just how shading and color are built up, the layer setting methods and things of that sort. I would love to see examples, since it would give me an idea of where the heck to start, and probably speed me up down my own artistic path by leaps and bounds since I could avoid some of the psychotically endless trial and error that comes with being self-taught, with no mentors. I think almost EVERYONE ELSE who would want to see such videos would have the same reasoning..... even if they don't KNOW it yet, and might waste a lot of time trying to simply mimic-- not that it would get them anywhere. It's a pity that fears of such student parrotry keep so many fascinating and wonderful things hidden from the community.

Anyway, to address Linda's frustrations on the tutorials vs content issue-- these forums are still chock-full of technical people. The industry itself is made up disproportionately of men, and most of them (Lunatique being one prominent and rare exception) are simply not interested in passionate storytelling or beauty. Much as I adore my fellow CGers, to be frank many of them collect techniques like tricks, just tools to be impressive, and they want to see stuff that's 'cool'; big guns, bright lights, big boobs. I feel truly, deeply sorry for anyone around here (including myself!) with dreams that do lay along more heartfelt lines-- because the CG community generally doesn't give a crap. My few attempts to show my own personal artwork with emotional content here, even to friends, were met with total, crushing indifference, and I count myself lucky they weren't outright mocked.

Good luck trying to encourage this community to feel and answer the beating heart of artwork-- there are many other places that will generously express that sort of appreciation, but this will probably not be one of them for a long time.

Fahrija
08-09-2005, 04:30 PM
I also think there´s difference between the work of guys in the gnomon dvd-world like Ryan Church, James Clyne, Mark Goerner in comparison to Linda.

Ryan for example often said he sees himself to be more a designer rather than an artist. Within the design world there´s often the topic about learning drawing and painting techniques no matter if it is about car-design or concept-design. It is quite usual to share the own techniques within a (small) group within an agency or a big company cause there is some kind of standard and in the end every designer puts his own personal note in the common drawing techniques automaticaly.

Artists have another relationship to their artworks than designers have. That´s why martiniere for example enjoys to make book covers besides his daily work for the big companies. Those kind of work is much more personal and self-determined. Artist often work alone and try to develop a style/technique to finish their unique works. And if it took you ages to come to a certain style you don´t give that away cause it somehow defines yourself together with your artwork.

The point is that concept designers (art)works (clyne/ chuch/feng) look like artwork plus they show their techniques wich make most people think why artists like linda could do this also but this is devenitley not comparable.

gnarlycranium
08-09-2005, 06:35 PM
I still don't quite see, though, how a few tricks can really be that critical. An artist is not the tools they use, and a few clever buttons in Photoshop do not an artist make. No one can truly copy someone else's style without the same eye for color, line, and shape that they have. I suppose a few specific flourishes could very well be private, but in general I haven't heard of many traditional artists, emotive or not, that would mind talking about how they work-- in fact many seem quite proud of the techniques they've come up with, secure in the knowledge that no one else can do it like them anyway. It's the more difficult mediums that people get twitchy and insecure about-- like ceramics, where one might stand out by getting a particular glaze color to work that hardly anyone can guess how to use, or computer graphics where we're limited so badly by the quirks of our equipment... but those are all still just tricks, just tools. Linda Bergkvist will always be the only Linda Bergkvist, Ryan Church will always be Ryan Church, or whoever, whether they're using the full power of Photoshop, or chalk on a sidewalk.

Also, it's all of tremendous value to the art community. Think of how much time has been spent trying to decipher the processes of the masters like Leonardo-- how precious their simple rough sketches and unfinished works have become, how eager all of us are to find any sign of how they worked, how they thought. What the heck would a DVD simply watching one of those people in action be worth today?

Zeicon
08-13-2005, 02:44 PM
"What the heck would a DVD simply watching one of those people in action be worth today?"

A lot.

ekah
08-13-2005, 04:15 PM
What the heck would a DVD simply watching one of those people (DaVinci) in action be worth today?

I would say about gazillion dollars. :D In fact, I would bet that people would kill for such a DVD.

Although I'm sure that many people would benefit from watching a dvd from any of the talented artists you mentioned, it's just not comparable to DaVinci. I don't say this to be disrespectful to the mentioned artists.

There are ton of books, web sites, etc. We have more resources available to us for us to find than any other time in history, and one often take things like linear perspective for granted, myself included. Such system didn't exist before the Renaissance period. I don't know whether one would call linear perspective a trick, but it certainly changed the way artists sees the world, forever. One cannot put a price tag on something that big, imo. :)

arquebus
08-13-2005, 04:33 PM
I think there are people out there who have technical talent equal to someone like Linda Bergkvist but dont produce art that captures the interest of popular culture the way Linda does. Its like there are a thousands of guitarists who have technical ability to play as well as Eddie Van Halen, but that doesnt make them equal to Eddie Van Halen. And someone like Eddie Van Halen isnt going to let video cameras roll in the studio while he is making an album because that creative process is something personal that would spoil the magic so to speak. I think there is a lack of photoshop videos that show the entire process of making a an art work the way someone like Bob Ross shows the entire process of making a painting. But Ill bet someone could be found who would be willing to do it if people would seek them out.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2005, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.