PDA

View Full Version : Powergons??????

WireframeZ
10-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Well this is what i thougt to do....
I have a terrain and need to plant 30.000 trees...
I thouht to use Powergons to clone one tree around but i cannot do that....
The manual does not help a lot and i found that it will probably align the trres with normal of the polygon... and i don't want that... is there any alternative???

yog
10-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Have a look on www.flay.com for Clonez2, it's cerainly more of what your looking for.

WireframeZ
10-30-2002, 11:22 AM
:bounce:
Thank's man... since i'm no native english speaker sometimes even if i try hard to search i can't find the stuff just because i can express :-)

CG.p
10-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Powergons are a secret. We aren't allowed to find out how they are used. :)

aurora
10-30-2002, 08:03 PM
Yeah, whats the deal with Powergons. I was trying to use them in pretty much the same manner, planting a few trillion (ah not literally) plants in a scene using powergons but I never figured out how to use it correctly. Or maybe I did and I just thought it was something more. This is one area I have to admit I really like in Maya it has the PaintFX so you can use objects as a brush type and then just paint them onto whatever. Even funner yet the brush objects can even have dynamics such as trees blowing in the wind. Thats my one major wish list item for LW.

CG.p
10-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by aurora
Yeah, whats the deal with Powergons.

I know, I mean powergons, what is up with that? :)

aurora
10-30-2002, 10:57 PM
What I tried to do was create a script that would repeatedly open an object into layout that object had a polygon base which was a powergon with a script that randomly placed it onto a plane. Thats the short of it and it just did not work the way I had dreamed of making it work. It kinda worked but you are really limited to how you write the LScript for the powergon. However there are several other cool things you can do with them. Personally I like the luxigons. You can do some pretty easy special lighting effects with them.

Cman
10-31-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by aurora
.... Personally I like the luxigons. You can do some pretty easy special lighting effects with them.

Oh? Why don't you share some ideas?

wgreenlee1
10-31-2002, 01:17 AM
This is actually the best cloner plug/LScript.
Check it out!
Point Clone Extra! (http://thespread.topcities.com/)

olo
10-31-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by WireframeZ
Well this is what i thougt to do....
I have a terrain and need to plant 30.000 trees...
is there any alternative???

You can use RandomCloner :-)
I think it is the best solution for you.

check my web page: plugins.polas.net (http://plugins.polas.net)

aurora
10-31-2002, 08:01 PM
Cman - I used luxigons inside the tail of fireflies so they each had their own light which blinked at random sequences. Using it this way I was able to very quickly clone a bunch of fireflies to fly around my scene. I've also created a small luxigon with a dim light and arced it across the sky to imitate a satellite on a summers eve. Another thing I'm getting ready to try it on is numerous small ploygons on stalagtites and stalagmites to provide a more fantastical (is that a word?) look to a cave scene. Kinda like the shiny but impossible specular and refelective points of light in something like the mine in Snow White.
Very cool, not the only way to do this stuff but very fast.

wgreenlee1 - thanks for that hint on thepointcloneextra plugin. I just downloaded its latest version and plan on playing with it soon.

wgreenlee1
10-31-2002, 11:55 PM
No problem aurora.
Best of all it's free thanks to "artists creating for artists".

Brett H.
11-01-2002, 12:51 AM
I'm not real sure about Powergons, but I use Luxigons alot. I have created skydomes using a very low-poly half-sphere (tessellated), each poly of which has a Luxigon with an area light. In layout, I just convert luxigons and I have a seven-light half-sphere for fake GI. It works very well for faking GI. The idea is not my own, but I like to think the implementation is. As an extension to that, I have created various luxigon-enabled objects that represent the various lights in Layout, but using only area lights (they produce the most realistic shadows, and the render times are really not that bad).

In short, I love luxigons. I just resize the object to fit my needs, make it unseen by rays & camera, turn off any shadow casting/receiving, and the lights resize with the object.

Brett

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.