PDA

View Full Version : XSI Foundation worth $680 ?

ecas
07-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Hello
Im not new to modeling but Im new to high poly
modeling and animation, Im currently looking for a good 3D package
I would learn and eventually buy. I thought about 3 softwares
Animation:Master - There is no poly modeling so Im puting it aside.
Lightwave3D - I couldn't find any reseller in Israel
and XSI Foundation - I found a reseller and he is close to me but the thing is
the reseller sell XSI for $630 plus VAT and everything it's about $680
now I don't know if XSI worth that match, what do you guys think?

Im starting to learn XSI with the mod tool but I don't want to learn
a package for a few month just to understand it's too expensive for it's worth.

alona
07-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Many people, especially on this forum :), believe that XSI is easily one of the best 3D packages around - even the Foundation version - so $680 is still a bargain. Of course, you can get the package for less than $500 by purchasing online. Why do you prefer a reseller?

It will certainly be false to say that "XSI is too expensive for its worth" in general - but of course this also depends on your particular preferences. Find the package you feel most comfortable with, and learn it.

JDex
07-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Apparently online purchasing is not available to residents of all countries, it's my understanding that this is due to long-ago signed exclusive distribution agreements with resellers in various regions...

As to your question. How can anyone really answer that? It's worth $500 to me currently, was worth $2000 back when it was $2000.

Chris-TC
07-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Personally I think if you had to pay twice that price it'd still be easily worth it. XSI is nothing short of amazing.

T4D
07-31-2005, 11:40 AM
look at the other Packages
Maya vs XSI FND is cheaper better value
C4D vs XSI FND alot cheaper alot better character tools
Max vs XSI FND alot cheaper ( not a max user so that's all i know )
Lightwave vs XSI FND makes LW look as if it hasn't been updated for 5 years
and you don't have to go shopping for plugins after you purchase XSI :thumbsup:

I purchased XSi Fnd after afew months i was looking to update to XSI Ess Just because i was in LOVE and I wanted it ALL! :love:
I did upgrade and it feels great, I havn't used much of the Ess stuff yet, But Man I love having it there :D I'll update to the next level on the next job too XSI is the best 3D system I've used by a long way and i know there's many great years ahead of it :buttrock: !!

ecas
07-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Thank you for the respond, I thought that most of you would
say that it is worth it I just needed to be sure, I guess I feel
like it's a bit unfair that I need to pay $680 and other $500 but it will go away :)

Maya vs XSI FND is cheaper better value
C4D vs XSI FND alot cheaper alot better character tools
Max vs XSI FND alot cheaper ( not a max user so that's all i know )
Lightwave vs XSI FND makes LW look as if it hasn't been updated for 5 years
and you don't have to go shopping for plugins after you purchase XSI

You can't compere XSI FND to max or maya, they are more expensive and got
more features you should comphere XSI ADV to those packages IMO, but it's not important
I can barely afford XSI FND so I will not go to max & maya :P

T4D
07-31-2005, 12:30 PM
You can't compere XSI FND to max or maya, they are more expensive and got
more features you should comphere XSI ADV to those packages IMO, but it's not important
I can barely afford XSI FND so I will not go to max & maya :P

yeah very true XSI Fnd It blows them all away and IS cheaper

but if you compair them with the price range
Truespace Hash and blender there's no contest :D

if money if a problem XSi is still as far better option

IF learning curve is in your list of must haves Maybe Lightwave is easier to learn ?
But you get more power with XSI fnd so it's far better value for the $$

XSI wins everytime :buttrock:

yog
07-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Personally I think if you had to pay twice that price it'd still be easily worth it.Heck, I DID pay THREE times that for Foundation (before the Sig 2004 price slash), and I STILL thought it was worth every penny. XSI Foundation all but replaced my usage of LW within a couple months, and relegated MAX to purely architectural work.

Mind you the fact that Softimage bumped me up to an Essentials licence 6 months later didn't hurt my confidence that the company was going to look after us humble users :thumbsup:

ecas
07-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Just a question about XSI FND
LW has Daz Mimic (http://www.daz3d.com/Mimic/) for creating and editing facial animation sequences and
I was impress by the result, Is there some plugin or (even better) feature that will
allow me to creating and editing facial animation sequences in XSI?

SheepFactory
07-31-2005, 03:45 PM
i guess we'll find out in two days. From the looks of the teasers they are releasing for siggraph there will be some nice announcements regarding facial animation and rigging.

Kahwatikid
07-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Its definitely worth every penny. You're getting an industry tested tool thats powerful enough to be used in many highend companies, yet easy enough for the one man show.

It does take some getting used to, and I know that animation master is a pretty cool program. I've recently converted from maya (well not true...I still use maya at work)....but XSI has sooo many awesome freebies that many maya studios spend buttloads of money on to create similar tools that only work half as well.

Anyway, Its definitely worth your while....I just hope that Avid will be imbedding XSI into more companies in Toronto...like Alias did a w hile back...the size of their user base in my opinion is their biggest problem...otherwise Its a superior package.

...though on a side note...a programmer I work with said that it is a pain to work with last he touched it (v.3)

Anyway...

I highly recommend it!

Good Luck

MikeMD
07-31-2005, 10:25 PM
The only question here is because it's $495 for somebody like me, you would be paying $200 more, but what else can you buy under $1500 that's anywhere close to what you will get for those $680?

When I first got it I couldn't believe how good it was ( after the initial week or two of total confusion, before I figured out what and how things worked ). Best value of any software I've bought.

If Foundation is worth $495 ( or $680 for you ), something like Photoshop shouldn't cost more than $49, that's how good I think XSI is.

JDex
07-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Well the issue of it being over the $495 price is something I believe you will face with all apps overseas (at least in most regions). As the subject of why apps cost more outside of N. America comes up every few months here at CGT, it painfully obvious that you will pay more than the list price... for most if not all competitive apps.

I believe that XSI at $680 is still a better deal than all the other apps, especially since they'll likely be more expensive than the list price too.

SevenString
08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
I've used a LOT of the major apps out there, including MAX, Lightwave, Maya, etc, but honestly, XSI Foundation just rocks!

I jumped ship from Lightwave/Messiah about a year ago, and it was the best $495 I can remember spending. I have not regretted the decision even once, and I STILL get misty-eyed when I discover some new (to me) cool thing about XSI that I didn't know before.

I still have to use Maya at work, but I consider myself a total XSI convert, and after drooling over all of the new features annouced for 5.0, I plan on plunking down the cash for another full seat of Foundation come September. I figure for the difference of $100, I might as well just get the full version.

As for some of the cheap/free apps out there, Blender is cool enough, especially for the price. It's a fun, snappy app that can do a lot. However, it has some weaknesses that make it unsuitable for the sort of work that I choose to do. As for Animation:Master, I did my time, thank you very much. I'm going to follow my mother's advice: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." ... I'm not saying anything.

Anyway, XSI grows WITH you. Even the base Foundation 4.2 is massively powerful, and is a truly solid and trustworthy professional piece of software. If I had to buy XSI all over again for $680, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

MJV
08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
If you don't mind not having hair then Foundation can't be beat. If you need hair then you shouldn't consider Foundation as anything more than a very nice learning edition.

gent_k
08-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Or do the hair the way its been done for years before dedicated options were commonly available, and is still occasionally preferred in many situations where only stills are required.
So definetly not a learning edition, whether or not you need hair so much.

not targeted at anyone specifically, just a thing I've always wanted to say when the hair issue was brought up.

MJV
08-04-2005, 10:28 PM
But if you need hair, and not a workaround, then you must get Advanced, which is $7000. There are no other options. As long as you know that up front and are ok with it, then yes, Foundation is great.

greyface
08-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Foundation is definitely worth $600, it's worth what it used to cost in early 2004... I was a max user and switched to XSI without looking back after two weeks of use.

T4D
08-05-2005, 02:33 PM
But if you need hair, and not a workaround, then you must get Advanced, which is $7000. There are no other options. As long as you know that up front and are ok with it, then yes, Foundation is great.

you could do everything in XSI and export to another app for the final hair/render stage
I read Maya users export to LW to uses SAS and final render ( few cool Disney ad's were done this way )

I Export out of XSI and render in Lightwave without a problem Tho doing it less and less now I'm getting my head around Mental ray.. But if the job needs Hair, LW is always there for me.:)

ecas
08-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I want to hair option but I don't need it now, or in the near future
so Ill be fine with XSI if I will learn it.

As I said Im trying to learn XSI as we speak but I have got
a lot of questions plus I got some weird bugs that I have seen
I will open a thread about it soon.

pichoo
08-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Anyone knows if we can miss a 1.0 upgrade without paying for the support/upgrade price, and having the same support/upgrade price for the next one? eg: v4.0 to v 6.0 ... for Essentials and advanced.

Actually I also think softimage will gain even more Essentials user if they can give a simple hair solution, that can't be used for serious stuff (maybe only short hair ... *hint*). Because right now $7000 is beyond a normal person's budget. Again a 'normal' person don't usually need hair, syflex and behaviour.

Sorry its a bit OT, but I know a lot of people from other countries usually have to pay more than what its worth in US.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.