PDA

View Full Version : UVW unwrapped scale question

Ian Jones
07-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi, I'm using 3dsmax and am new to UVW unwrapping... though this concept should apply to all 3d packages.

I was wondering, when you lay out UV's of your unwrapped pieces into the texture space you are limited to, how important is it to match the scale of one piece to another piece? It will affect the texture space each part has if you size the pieces a different scale, so I was wondering from the more experienced texturers here, if having different amounts of resolution on different pieces of a single mesh is really that noticeable? any guidelines or rules of thumb? I would imagine cleaning up seams along different resolutions is next to impossible?

Neox
07-31-2005, 09:23 AM
sure it is noticable when the difference is pretty big ;)
well there are no real guidelines, just pump up what you need bigger because it needs more details than the other parts of you model, i.e. the face needs way more details than a shoe when yxou show the face much more often...

Ian Jones
08-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Thx for the answer... that's all I really needed a little confirmation.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 01:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.