PDA

View Full Version : Maya and Intel processor compatibility apple PB

nepaligurkha
07-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering, becasue apple is coming out with the intel based macs, wouldn't maya have to run through rosetta right? Because the maya running on macs right now have been compiled to work on the PPC processor right? am i understanding right? Has alias announced anything about realsing a maya compatibile with the intel processor?

-Thanks
Tabha

Srek
07-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi,
since Maya is already available on Intel hardware and Apple makes the APIs for the coming Intel OS X versions very compatible Alias shouldn't have more trouble then other manufacturers of cross plattform apps that already announced to support the transition (Maxon, Luxology etc.). Currently it's much to early to look for precise information on this, the available Intel Mac development tools (Hardware and Software) at this time are not production ready.
Cheers
Björn

beaker
08-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Luckily Alias moved maya over to Mach-O/Cocoa with version 6.0 and the only Altivec acceleration they did was on the sound plugin. So porting over to osx-intel should be fairly easy for them.

Beamtracer
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
As I understand it, once an app is Mach-O and compiled with Xcode (necessary to run on MacTel), then Xcode will spit out both a MacTel and a PowerPC version at the press of a button.

What I'm saying is that most of the hard work is getting things ported to MacTel, and once they've done that it's relatively easy to support PowerPC as well.

So if you need a Mac now, I think the existing PowerPC based models are reasonably future safe. It would be a long wait if you hold off to get an Intel based one.

It's good that Maxon and Luxology have made public statements showing their support for the future Mac OS on MacTel.

Halford
08-01-2005, 09:46 AM
There was an article about it on 3DWorld, it says tthat Alias is working closely with Apple to make sure the transaction goes as smooth as possible.

Don't worry about. :)

Hal.

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 09:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.