PDA

View Full Version : Motion Mixer (do people actually use it)

jim_h
10-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to Lightwave, but use modeller a far bit.
My main app is Maya.

My questions are:

Does motion mixer actually work (beyond basic stuff)?

Sorry if this question offends anyone.

Maya has non linear animation similar to motion mixer but the NLA in Maya is quite unusable for anything complex, ie. you get jumps between clips of animation (even when using appropriate transitions).

softimage XSI and 'the humble' animation master both have NLA also. From what I here XSI's NLA is amazing and animation master (that has had NLA for a while now) works well also.

Am keen to find out what other people using LW think of the new NLA system and whether they actually use it in production.

re Jim

Tudor
10-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Hey!

I was just about to post a thread asking how to get rid of this popping between clips.
Apart from that I think it works fine. It is not an all in one solution to every problem. It is just another tool. I will most likely use it for more and more stuff in the future.

uncommongrafx
10-29-2002, 02:32 PM
Are you making a transition between clips? That should get rid of the popping.
I've used it and was rather pleased with it's abilities. But you really have to spend some time with it.
Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

Tudor
10-29-2002, 03:07 PM
what I want and cant quite get is to for example make a character walk 10 steps with a clip.. Stop at that pose. Use normal animation for say 5 seconds. Continue with motion mixer and a clip.
Now it resets to the default position whenever a clip stops.
If I add a transition I cant animate it.

DigitalDeuce
10-29-2002, 03:07 PM
I tend to use it more as a pose mixer, kinda like cyclebranchmorph in Messiah.

Not really like a NLA, but it does the trick.

Mike RB
10-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Yes people use it. Here is an old thread that has a bit of info.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13592&highlight=motion+mixer

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.