PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't power on....

Joel Hooks
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
I type this weeping. I replaced my $25 server tower with a CMstacker today, and now the computer will only power on for 1-3 seconds before shutting back down. No power, no post, nothing. I am going now to Frye's to replace the PS, though it is only 2 months old. Could I have killed the motherboard in some way?

I have:

Tyan K8WE
GF 6800gt
Enermax 550w PS
2gb ECC REG RAM

I am totally bummed, and can't figure out what might be causing this issue. I'd think it wouldn't power on at all if something were that wrong. I thought maybe the jumper pins from the front audio might be it, or something wrong with the switch pins. The Standby light comes on when the pins are set, and everything appears to start normally. No weird noise or smells. It has been functioning without a problem since early may.

:weep:

imashination
07-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Sounds like the power switch is getting stuck down and turning itself off after a few seconds.

MadMax
07-30-2005, 09:18 PM
my first thought would be to put it back the way it was and see if it still works.

TheCleaner
07-30-2005, 09:23 PM
i had this problem, crapped my pants (not really) and then found that my bios jumper was set to clear, changed it back to 'normal operation' and all went swell.. also, very well be something shorting, if the motherboard is shorting somewhere, i think it powers off automatically

Joel Hooks
07-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I ran the power cable from the original case to the powersw jumper, just to see if it was a physical switch issue, but that didn't do anything. It powers up, all the fans spin on the cpus/ps/vid card but then it powers down after a couple of seconds.

Putting it back into the other enclosure might be a nice voodoo ritual, but I can't see how anything would have changed. My gut is telling me that I damaged the mobo in the transition somehow.

I'm going to be pissed if I have to RMA this MB :/

About to try a new PS.

Shorting? Where would I check for that? What might cause it? I put it on the supplied stands, but maybe this is it?

MadMax
07-30-2005, 09:49 PM
I ran the power cable from the original case to the powersw jumper, just to see if it was a physical switch issue, but that didn't do anything. It powers up, all the fans spin on the cpus/ps/vid card but then it powers down after a couple of seconds.

Putting it back into the other enclosure might be a nice voodoo ritual, but I can't see how anything would have changed. My gut is telling me that I damaged the mobo in the transition somehow.

This is what I hated about working tech support, you would get people scoff at what you tell them.

Okay, lets try this again..... TAKE THE MOTHERBOARD OUT OF THE NEW CASE.

Why? because on occasion, I have seen MB's shorting against the stand off's in the case. Unless you are using all plastic stand offs. It is not a voodoo ritual. Obviously if it worked all in the original configuration, something has changed since you moved the components.

The idea is to figure out what has changed since you moved things, or is it suddenly not working also Voodoo?

So step back to where you were BEFORE. If it works again, then we need to figure out why.

Joel Hooks
07-30-2005, 09:56 PM
I wasn't scoffing, sorry if I cam across that way Max. Your opinion and consultation is extremely valuable to me. I totally get what you are saying and I am in the process of removing it.

I just remembered that I had put an extra standoff in there and believe that is most likely the issue. :crosses fingers:

MadMax
07-30-2005, 10:04 PM
I wasn't scoffing, sorry if I cam across that way Max. Your opinion and consultation is extremely valuable to me. I totally get what you are saying and I am in the process of removing it.

I just remembered that I had put an extra standoff in there and believe that is most likely the issue. :crosses fingers:

Sorry, I just took my advice as being nothing but a voodoo effort kind of insulting.

Hopefully the standoff is shorting and this will solve the issue. You might also look into the plastic standoffs where you can, and you can put the insulators under the board as well.

Joel Hooks
07-30-2005, 10:07 PM
I just used the wrong words, sorry again. Don't let me discourage you from dishing out rock solid advice to people.

As it happens, the 4 :blush: extra offset screws appear to have been the cause.

Cheers guys, I appreciate the help troubleshooting this user's error.

MadMax
07-30-2005, 10:31 PM
I just used the wrong words, sorry again. Don't let me discourage you from dishing out rock solid advice to people.

As it happens, the 4 :blush: extra offset screws appear to have been the cause.

Cheers guys, I appreciate the help troubleshooting this user's error.

No problem. If it had been a problem I'd have taken your head off :)

I am glad to hear the offsets were the issue. That is SOOOOO much cheaper than having to replace a fried MB!!!

lots
07-31-2005, 04:54 AM
How are those 275s treating you max?

Mind giving them up? :P

;)

MadMax
07-31-2005, 05:09 AM
How are those 275s treating you max?

Mind giving them up? :P

;)

Eh, I think I'll pass. I only have less than a weeks worth of use so far, and as of tomorrow, I won't be touching them again until Friday.

Siggraph starts tomorrow you know. I have an 8:30 course to attend. :)

lots
07-31-2005, 07:34 AM
If only I knew where to find your abandond computer ;)

*mischivous grin*

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 07:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.