PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeks guidance.

NY3D
10-29-2002, 09:19 AM
Hi, and thank you for taking some time to help me. I am still learning the program,just got it last year.I love it.
But anyway here is my problem.I have difficulties scaling(spelling too...LOL) What is the best size or dimension for a plane(primitive) to create oceans,vegetation fields,concrete floors,that sort of thing.When I render the map that I use seem too close or too far. Does the size of the plane have to do with the problem? I really would appreciate any link or tut,explaining takes too long at times,I understand. thanx and God bless.:cool:

oxygen_77
10-29-2002, 10:30 AM
Hey NY3D,

Newtek's website has some really good tutorials on applying textures and such, I think this is where your problem lies. You can have an object that is 1m X 1m or 1000mi X1000mi and it can be made to look the same size just by how you apply your textures and arrange your lighting and camera. I would check through some of the tut's and see if that helps.

jfornasar
10-29-2002, 11:40 PM
NY3D,

A good way to start is to model everything to exact scale. LW's Modeler gives great control here.

Measure and model the room you are in to scale. If you have a few pics of your walls and floor, you can work with Automatic Sizing when placing the images.

Then bring your camera in and set it at a "normal" height (say 5' 9", or whatever height your eyes are at. You can then use this room in the future to size other objects you create, find on the LW CD, or download from the net.

If you are doing a "field", the size you will need will depend on the placement of the camera. Unless you are creating a "world" (as in a level map for a game), get into the Hollywood mode of just modeling what can be seen. An easy way of keeping control of scale is to "rough" in shapes (similar to drawing primitives to block in a sketch).

It'll take you a short amount of time to assemble a few basic shapes - blocks for houses, large rectangles for apartment houses and factorys, etc. You can even place image maps from the net on these to help your visualization.

As far as the ocean goes, same thing applies - how much is going to be seen from the camera - there are some great water tutorials out there. Keep in mind that to an average height person on the beach, the horizon is about 25 miles away. A rendering timesaver is to create an ocean patch (say 2 miles size) with a slight upward curve on the edges, and throw a simple color and procedural on it. Then model another smaller poly to put around your boat with the "detailed" ocean waves, etc.

I don't want to start a flame here, everyone has their own method, but I've found that modeling to scale helped enormously.
And after a while, you will assemble loads of stock items that can be dropped into a scene without any extra work in sizing - if you can skip the mechanics, you'll be able to keep your "vision" thing moving.

John in Brooklyn

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.