PDA

View Full Version : Maya 5.0 Bind Pose

drawallday
07-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Maya 5.0 Bind Pose

I already rigged and animated a male character. I would like to fix using the "Edit Membership", "detach skin", etc but it won't allow me to do so because it doesn't seem to remember the "bind pose"... Please please please help me out. I really need to fix this character up.

How do I relocate the "bind pose"? Many THANKS.

cavetroll
07-30-2005, 12:01 PM
if you, for some odd reason, cannot reach the bindPose anymore and you want to add or remove influences you have to reset the bindPose on specific or all joints.
to do that, look in the scriptEditor and find out which joints are not in the bindPose (try to add or remove an influence or edit some memberShip and look at the error message you get).
now, type the following in the scriptEditor:
dagPose -reset -n bindPose1 l_low_leg;
where bindPose1 is the name of the bindPose of your character and l_low_leg an example for a jointName. but be careful with that. do it only when you know your pose should be the bindPose and maya doesn´t get it.
hope that helps.
cheers, tom.

drawallday
07-31-2005, 12:31 AM
drawllday.net
07-30-05

Problem: returning to original BindPose, Edit Membership

The solution isn't striaghtforward:

- My Root joint was grouped 4 times, therefore bindPose got confused.

- I had all IK nodes grouped and it appeared that the bindPose worked when I put the Root joint in the "IK nodes group".

- I had to go to Modify > Evaluate Nodes > and switch to neither "Ignore All" or "Evaluate All" and then Skin > Go to Bind Pose.

- Once I got the correct "original" bindPose, I have to try and RESET by typing down "dagPose -reset -n bindPose1 Root;" in the Script Editor (found at bottom right).

- I have to test the "Skin > Go to Bind Pose" often until it works.

- On the other hand... I had problems using "Edit Membership Tool" because I used "Edit Membership Tool" on polygon then "polySmoothFace". I had to go and locate the "polySmoothFace" in the polygon's attribute editor and "Node Behavior > Node State and select HasNoEffect".

Thanks cavetroll for your help.

john_homer
07-31-2005, 02:42 AM
just delete the bindpose.

.j

drawallday
08-06-2005, 03:23 PM
just delete the bindpose.

Not sure how that will help.

However, I realized an easier step to reset the ENTIRE bindPose.

1- select the root of skeleton
2- type in the script editor "dagPose -reset -n bindPose1" (name of root joint); (also check name of bindPose to make sure, maybe it could be bindPose2 or under a different name)
3- Execute script editor, maybe there are some kind of distortion with the model but don't worry..
4- with the joint still selected, go to Animation > Skin > Go to bindPose
5.- The bindPose should resume and u can detach/add models to the joints without problem

Marcel
08-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Deleting the bindpose also does the trick for me. If you can't seem to find it, select the skincluster that is complaining, go to hypergraph and use 'Graph->Input Output Connections'. Search for the bindpose node and delete it.

Be careful however, first put your character in the bindpose before you do this, and create a new bindpose afterward.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2005, 10:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.