PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on Tablet PCs?

ilya11
07-29-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm looking for a laptop to sketch on. Portability and long battery life are the biggest factors. Also needs enough ram and cpu to run photoshop.

But it also has to have some kind of pressure sensitivity recognition. 256 or more levels would be nice. I guess tilt recognition is too much to ask?

So far it seems like ThinkPad X41 Tablet satisfies most of my needs. However, I don't know if it's pressure sensitive, or just basic touch recognition?

Any help would be appreciated. If you have any other suggestions as far as Tablet PCs go, that would be nice too. Any better choises out there? Do you think the maket is even there yet, for art uses that is? Maybe best to wait another year?

Thanks!

Saurus
07-30-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm looking for a laptop to sketch on. Portability and long battery life are the biggest factors. Also needs enough ram and cpu to run photoshop.

But it also has to have some kind of pressure sensitivity recognition. 256 or more levels would be nice. I guess tilt recognition is too much to ask?

So far it seems like ThinkPad X41 Tablet satisfies most of my needs. However, I don't know if it's pressure sensitive, or just basic touch recognition?

Any help would be appreciated. If you have any other suggestions as far as Tablet PCs go, that would be nice too. Any better choises out there? Do you think the maket is even there yet, for art uses that is? Maybe best to wait another year?

Thanks!

Any new PC Tablet can pretty much handle Photoshop pretty easily. I probably just upgrade your memory to 512 or 1 gig, depending how heavy photoshop files you're working on. And if plan to do some Maya work (3D), I recommend tablets that have video cards...not intergraded. HP T1100 (32 mem), Toshiba's M4 (64-128 mem) and Toshiba's M200 (32 mem). I have the HP T1100...it's super compact without the keyboard. I carry it around everyday and I don't even notice it.

Simon
07-30-2005, 06:02 PM
I have an acer Travelmate c302xmi

Check it out. 7 hours battery. lots of cool features like dvd rw.

It even runs Dawn of war pretty nicely too. :wink:

I do 3d and photoshop drawing. The screen is larger than usual tablets and I've never got irritated at it. (I get irritated at all my computers so thats a good thing). Its also very bright.

Shogmaster
08-01-2005, 06:26 AM
I have an acer Travelmate c302xmi

Check it out. 7 hours battery. lots of cool features like dvd rw.

It even runs Dawn of war pretty nicely too. :wink:

I do 3d and photoshop drawing. The screen is larger than usual tablets and I've never got irritated at it. (I get irritated at all my computers so thats a good thing). Its also very bright.

Dude, that mother bizneeyatch is almost 7 lbs just like my Toshiba R15!! Hardly "portable". ;)

Simon
08-01-2005, 10:26 AM
but Im a lanky fool and i still manage to carry it around with no probs. I think the reviews exagurated the weight.

Maybe I'm just very strong or something. :D

londonsam
09-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Hey man, did you end up getting a Tablet PC? if so which one??
Seems like you have the same needs that I do, sketching, photoshop, dreamweaver and a bit of 3ds max and autocad when I am not at home or in the office.

CGTalk Moderation
09-15-2005, 11:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.