PDA

View Full Version : using sliders to open/close hands

debaser
07-29-2005, 07:34 PM
..is there a tut out thier somewhere about this.
if anyone can shed some light into this, that would be great.

cheers
-nino

serge1971
07-29-2005, 09:21 PM
The time slider?

....but I bet you didn't mean that. Yeah, good question. I'm working on a (animated) hand-project myself. And something like this would come in really handy.

NanoGator
07-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Do you know how to create a Null + appropriate expressions to control a hand?

(If ya already know how to do that, then the slider bit is a lot easier.. but I'd liketa gague where ya are righ tnow. :))

debaser
07-30-2005, 03:11 AM
NanoGator,
I know how to full around with expressions, hows that?
Not really i guess.
ive done this TUT: http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/121
i thought after doing that id be able to figure it out, but I am still stuck.

I know the concept of it though, i just cant do it.
its: you add mutiple channels ( the ones appropriate that'll move a finger/s) to a custom channel, using expressions. Then just plug it into the slider. I know it might be harder than that but yeah, thats all i know so far.

-cheers

debaser
07-30-2005, 03:34 AM
ok, i just had an idea.
Is it possible to record a motion to use for motion mixer, but instead attatch it to a slider?
Because it is, i could just record a hand gesture and then have a slider to control its action.

Insider
07-31-2005, 08:35 PM
You can use the sliders to setup hands -
but what I've often done is simply setup rotation limits. If you're going to click and slide a
bar to move a finger, why not then just move the finger? For seriously complex rigs,
the sliders are quite handy. For simpler items, using a rotational lock is often the way to go.

Mike RB
07-31-2005, 08:57 PM
http://www2.3dluvr.com/26/120/S26A120FIL10.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/120

There is an old tutorial I did. It hooks motion mixer clips to sliders for hand posing, it's exactly what you're looking for, you can even mix hand positions.

Mike

uncommongrafx
07-31-2005, 09:08 PM
And Boy oh Boy, is it a great Tute! Great use of the toolset, as well.

I've been quite successful with this on walks, etc. to great effect. Quite useful.

Insider
07-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Nice tutorial Michael!

doc sampson
07-31-2005, 09:25 PM
..is there a tut out thier somewhere about this.
if anyone can shed some light into this, that would be great.

cheers
-nino

The simplest method Ive found is to just use selection sets. The cool thing about things in a hierarchy is that they can be selected at once and rotated additively. The upside is that creating sets is fast and easy. Setting up sliders starts to get complicated and the worst thing is you cant override the expressions without doing a VERY complicated rig. Doing very general sorts of hand gestures with sliders is ok but wont give you any fine or exact controls. Pose mixing can also work well but again depends on how much control you need.

Mike RB
07-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Doing it with sliders is really very easy, have a quick read through my tutorial.

Mike

Fongool
08-01-2005, 04:16 AM
Yeah, that tute is the kind that brings a tear to your eye. So easy... so powerful. :love: I liked the one on corrective morphing too. :)

It sounds like Maestro 2 will practically automate this approach to animation, I'm looking forward to hearing more details...

Hmm, looks like not enough people are donating to 3dluvr, the place is turning into a spam vortex...

-but I'm a WINNER WINNER WINNER!! :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 04:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.