PDA

View Full Version : any easy way to do this?

greatbeast
07-29-2005, 12:54 PM
ok i only have a demo version of lightwave..that came with that dan ablan book,so i cant post any illustration,it doesn't save.anyway i have a humanoid figure i downloaded,and i texturized it and all,now i want to make his texture change over time. what i did was made a copy of the figure,re-named it..open both of them in lightwave gave the new one a different texture.then i added a null object with effector for the first figure.so as i animate the null it "peels"away the first figure leaving the second figure. it is mimicing morphing into a new texture...is there another way to do this?..i am trying to learn lw,so a detailed way to do it would help,not just terms i am unfamiliar with.i want to get an effect like in the matrix 1 when neo touches the mirror and it travels up his arm. so as one texture is falling back it is replaced by another but completely different one. the first figure is textured with an image map so i need it to seem as though the image map is slowly changing yet stays there until the new texture gets to it.

telamon
07-29-2005, 01:06 PM
you can apply both textures to the same object by stacking layers in the surface editor (have you noticed the add layer button in the left part of the surface editor / texture pannel).

Simply speaking the texture editor works like photoshop's layers. There is at the top right of the surface editor a parameter called opacity. Select the upper texture, click on the E button close to this text field, a graph editor window will pop up. Add keys on the curve to animate the parameter.

For instance, if you want texture 2 (the one above) to be visible until frame 30 and want it to be fully invisible at frame 40: add a key at frame 30, keep its value as 100 %, add a key at frame 40 (value = 0). For both frame (learn how to use the graph editor, it is a bit tricky but rather simple in fact) set the Tension (T) value equal to 1 and you should have a nice smooth transition.

Do this for all texture channels that you have textured.

greatbeast
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
thanx for the reply ...
i played around with that a bit ,but will it give it that nice rolling effect from one texture to the other? its kind of like peeling a bannana..its all yellow until you strip away the outer layer.and you cant see the inner part until the outer part is peeled away.

i guess another way to put it is i am trying to get a total color and texture change in very gradual steps..kinda like the new texture is slowly climbing up the figure.i even tried animating textures with a null as a reference object.so like when his legs are liquidy his waiste area and torso is still normal..and as the liquidy texture rises higher each part changes to the liquidy and those untouched are still the same until the whole figure is liquidy.

but i will still try playing with your advice to see if i can achieve it.

Zarathustra
07-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Ok, so you're looking to have the texture change like a wipe? You see one texture creep over another, from bottom to top?

Use a null as a reference object for a layer or layers and move the null.

Telamon was giving you a way to smoothly fade from one to the other.

greatbeast
07-29-2005, 03:13 PM
can you give me a bit of advice on setting this up.i tried with the null ref obj a few times already..but i just can't seem to get it right..i was about to try and post some images(i sometimes love that print screen key)i figured that would work..but as i said i am still learning.

Zarathustra
07-29-2005, 03:36 PM
There's nothing to it, really. If the layer you're tweaking is the top layer (in Color channel) you'll see the change in position on your screen as you move or scale your reference object.
Tutorials here:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
and on NT's site.

If it's not working, maybe it's because it's not a full version, but even so, it SHOULD work.

There was a scene I remember, maybe it comes with LW, where you move a null on the Y and a soda can label moves up and down. Same thing.

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2005, 03:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.