PDA

View Full Version : To Partition or Not to for Notebook Laptop with 80GB HardDisk Space

wumf
07-29-2005, 11:02 AM
I just got a new Laptop computer but it doesn't have Operating System in it yet. I am planning to install Window XP into it. I was wondering if it is a good or bad thing to partition my drive to something like D:, E:, F:, etc. or just stick on to C: that's all.

Is it actually good or bad to partition??? Especially with Laptop Notebook PC?

extol
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
I just got a new Laptop computer but it doesn't have Operating System in it yet. I am planning to install Window XP into it. I was wondering if it is a good or bad thing to partition my drive to something like D:, E:, F:, etc. or just stick on to C: that's all.

Is it actually good or bad to partition??? Especially with Laptop Notebook PC?

Hey,

If it hasnt been Partitioned then yes you have to do it, after that youll need to format. I dont think it lets you choose what letter to use (could be wrong) I think C is the primary HD. Its not really a good or bad thing to partition. People usually partition when they want to split their HD into multiple logical drives. But if you mean format then my opinion is that it is a good thing b/c it clears ur comp and reg. of all the old crap and clutter that you dont need. Youll most likely notice a performance gain after a format.

jbw
07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
You can partition your drive through the XP install process. After you setup your partitions XP asks where you want to install it. Once you've done that it'll format the drive you're installing XP on. Go and do something else for 30mins then follow the onscreen prompts to configure XP. On restart and getting into windows you won't see the other partitioned drives. To get them in my computer you'll want to access the disk management (r-click 'my computer'>'manage' in new window disk management is in the right hand column) then select drives that aren't formatted and format them from there. You can also assign drive letters to your drives here.

If you have a new machine I presume it came with all the necessary drivers to install?

ta,
jbw

ecco
07-31-2005, 02:11 AM
I think it's a good thing to partition, and have done since my last machine. My laptop I use now I only bought five months ago and everything was pre-installed including XP and whatever other stuff it had. I formatted everything straight away and started entirely from scratch, partitioning in DOS (which sure probably invalidated my warranty in some way). I've not had any problems since. As I barely used it before partitioning I can't say if the performance has improved, but I like to think it has :)

I partition as follows:

C for the main one with op sys;
[D is my cd drive;]
E Paging drive and Temp Internet storage.
F Work-related docs (ie, anything graphics related), like application saves, tutorials etc..;
G Non-work-related docs;
H Backup op sys, in my case Windows98 (old games I put on here too if I'm lucky)

My HD is only 60Gb so I'd definitely partition in your case with 80.

As extol says, you can rid of old junk easier and not worry about your documents so much. This setup has saved me & proven its worth on a number of occasions- having all documents in a seperate place they weren't harmed and I could back them up too.

I read an excellent couple of threads somewhere, might have been on this forum such as the sticky threads here on Hardware/Technical.

Regarding C drive, I think it's best to be the main one but it doesn't have to be (I once used D). I've had problems installing some progams in the past because they insisted on being on C - it didn't even give me a choice like most do- so I couldn't install it.

Plus. playing around in DOS gives you a nice little bit of hardware experience. I printed and read through loads of blurb on the matter to guide me. might be a good idea if you go that route.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 02:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.