PDA

View Full Version : Lioness walk cycle

Sudeshna
07-28-2005, 10:05 PM
My first proper animation of a 3D creation. Comments and critiques extremely welcome.

http://sudeshna.com/Lioness.mov

flex24
07-29-2005, 02:46 PM
You might want to find some references on how lions walk. The major problem i'm seeing is that the front and hind legs are moving in unison. Which isn't natural for quadrupeds. The skeletal set-up looks good though. Most animal anatomy books should have walk cycle diagrams for you to follow. The one i got under my desk is How To Draw Animals by Jack Hamm. Its alright, and it has the lion walk cycle in it.

Now have at it.

Slurry
07-29-2005, 03:02 PM
They say cats are one of the hardest animals to animate. They have such flexible skeletons.

So you picked a hard one! I've never tried to animate one myself, but there are some basic principles of walking that apply to all creatures that seem to be missing. Make sure you have some hip and shoulder rotations. Check how the paws are offest for each step as flex24 mentioned.
Also, a cat's forepaws turn inwards as they are brought forward and then roll flat before they makie contact with the ground.
You may want to consider less head bobbing too. Cats tend to be more sleek. Especially if they are stalking prey. Their heads stay perfectly aligned and still in that situation. The head motion reminds me more of a horse here.
But good effort. Keep going!

Art

Riptyde
07-29-2005, 09:57 PM
I haven't taken the time to watch an actual lion walk cycle yet, but the one thing that stands out to me is the length of the stride. It looks like it could be a bit longer.

Along with the other comments so far its lookin' good.

mehdianim
07-30-2005, 04:16 AM
yes you should definitely check out some reference before you take on that sort of animation.

avanish s phatak
07-30-2005, 08:34 AM
hi,
quadrapeds r tricky to animate, u have chosen the hard one !!
the basics of quadraped walk, is missing,
i have workedon few quads ,its very difficult to explain evrything ,
grab a copy of Richard Williams' "The Animators Survival Kit" there is a topic for animal action,
its very clear about the basic concept of quad walk in that book ,

good luck

phatak

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2005, 08:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.