PDA

View Full Version : character rig and walkcycle - help...

dines
07-28-2005, 08:58 PM
I set up my first rig and tried to animate a walkcycle... but the knees start jumping whenever the character changes a step. Am I missing something on my rig... did I do something wrong. How could I improve this to be able to animate it smooth (or at least let it walk). Or is something about the animation that I am doing wrong...

any help, critics, comments would be appreciated...

dines

attached there is my rig + "walkcycle" I am using LW 8.2

Drakaran
07-31-2005, 04:08 PM
I notice the feet aren't directly under the hips so the knees tends to lean in on the lift. you should also lock down some of the rotations of joints for like the hips and knees.

dines
08-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your response Drakaran... I made that on purpose to follow the flow of my mesh ( which I not attached to the scene)...
Is that something I'd better not do?
I set this up with the bone tools coming in Lightwave 8 and I recognized with the help of Surrealist ( http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=39022 ) that when I use Tip-Move in Side-View my bones get a rotation on H and B, which I do not want.
Right now I am trying to fix that.

T4D
08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
here you go dines :thumbsup:

OK I cloned the r_knee and renamed it R_knee_X
That's the knee control now, Using the heading control, best hide the old r_knee:)

check the parenting I changed some stuff
Add IK to the Bank channel on the R_knee_X
and turn the IK OFF on the Headingon the R_Leg

Enjoy if you see any more IK wobble
check you hip and knee placement
if you can't fixes it with these Post it again and we'll see what we can do :D

dines
08-01-2005, 08:24 PM
thanks T4D... that's great...:bounce:
that is a new approach for me... having to bones in the same place with different purposes.
I know like in the most cases there is no right and wrong and it always depends on the case but I am still curios about some basic questions.
maybe you can help me ( i hope so :))...
1.) These rotation bones some use them, some not, some put the tip into z direction others the the top of the bone... how would they be used approperiate?...
2.) how would I use Record Pivot Rotation to zero out the rotation axis...

sorry I am new to animation and there are so many approaches and I try to find out what suite best for me...

but thanks for fixing my scene I study it... and the additional control for the knee ist great...

dines

Drakaran
08-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I think part of why you are getting the wobble is basically the knee is always flexed. when I see people animate a walker, at some point the leg bones are at full extention, or nearly so. not sure if this is having an effect or not, but if you watch that ankle joint, it's wiggling crazy all over the place.

T4D
08-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Here's a demo rig I didn't do the model just the rig

check out the bones chains, It's different then what you done
I just edited your rig to basicly copy what i do with my rigs.:thumbsup:

debaser
08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
hello t4d.
i had a look at your rig.
im sure you know this - how Mike RB creat those knee rigs? they look really helpful
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=28922

cheers
(i havnt read all 11 pages of it so sorry if it's in thier. ill have a look when i get the time if you dont know)

T4D
08-02-2005, 11:59 AM
they are afew ways to rig the knee control,
I used to use that method in Version 1 of my rigging tools But now prefer the Bone control method that i used on your rig and the demo rig.

i still rig that way when a client prefers that knee control method, but i have my personal preference with these things when i Animate :)

debaser
08-02-2005, 01:21 PM
ahh yes. yours are on the hip, right? cool, i missed those
would you mine explaining how to do it mikes way if it's not too much trouble?
your one is greay. but when i saw his rig, i imediately tried to do copy it but it wasnt as easy as it looked. i thought all i needed was 2 bones on the knee set up 2 IK chains for one leg but that did not turn out to be right.

cheers

dines
08-03-2005, 08:48 PM
thanks t4d I am going to study your approach...:thumbsup: indeed if you could find the time to explain some things about your stuff... it would be great :applause:...

but anyway thank you very much... will take a closer look at that alien scene..

T4D
08-04-2005, 01:40 AM
OK sorry for the late one here go

ok in rig I like to have a body mover and a pelvis rotate and then knee control at the top of each leg So

one large bone for the body pointing forward ( called body_X )
and another large bone pointing behide the character ( Called Pelvis_X )
parent the pelvis to the body and parent you legs to the pelvis

now the leg
draw a very small bone at the top of the leg drawing to the front of the character
now draw the next bone upper leg bone going down to the knee then draw the lower leg bone to the ankle Make sure you have a nice bend at teh knee ( prebending joint in LW is very important ) ( I hope you know how to draw foot and toe bones :thumbsup: )

now for IK setup the Top hip/knee control will only have the bank control by IK
the upper leg will only have the Head control by IK and the lower leg heading will be control be IK too,
Have only one channel control by IK is one of the tip to getting good IK in LW

so dines the direction your Leg hip/knee bone is facing is wrong
But even i was surprise to see it still worked, So my method isn't the only way to do But I fine my ways pretty solid for CA work :D

hope this helps you guys out AND any more questions just ask :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 01:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.