PDA

View Full Version : Network Rendering Cpu's?

R-6
07-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi there.
I'm looking at adding another AMD PC to my current AMD64 3200 (939 socket)for rendering.
I have read I can't use an Intel cpu for network rendering but what about other AMD cpu's? non 64/939 socket will they be o.k was thinking of a cheap AMD 754 socket 3100 Sempron.Sorry if this has been asked before??

assistant pimp
07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
you cant use intel's? Funny I am using intels for both Screamernet and Amleto. In other news, Amleto 2.0 does not work properly and nodalideas tech support is next to non-existant. Which netwrok renderer are you using? Maybe I dont understand the question.

R-6
07-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Sorry what I mean is,the hardware.I'm just going to use Lightwave's screamnet.I wanted to know about different cpu compatability.I have 1 AMD64 3200(939) and an old Intel P4 2.53 but read I can't use Intel and AMD together on a network render so how about the different AMD cpu's (AMDXP/AMD64 754 etc)???

Megalodon
07-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi R-6!

I don't think that that's entirely true. I've had Intels and AMDs in our network and there were no problems. I have heard that there may be problems, but I can't recall in what situations. I would just set up your network with the Intel and try it for yourself. Run one of your scenes through and see how it looks. No use in buying another machine if the Intel system works in your pipeline.

Good Luck!

Megalodon

assistant pimp
07-29-2005, 03:23 AM
I just realized that I have a AMD machine on my network as a node (and it is the wekest of the machines) And I dont have any problems. Granted I dont have a heavy scene or what have you. I wish screamernet did stills. Amleto sux because of their crappy tech support.

R-6
07-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the replies.I have rendered the same single frame on my P4 system and my new AMD64 system and the P4 took an extra 4 mins.How do you get both machines to render the one frame?
I will have a look at setting up screamernet ,thx Megalodon;)

softdistortion
07-29-2005, 01:44 PM
If I recall there was some talk (wy back) about a difference in the render color output of the two different CPUs. Others I've talked to that have a mix have never verified this though.

samartin
07-29-2005, 01:52 PM
If I recall there was some talk (wy back) about a difference in the render color output of the two different CPUs. Others I've talked to that have a mix have never verified this though.

Hmmm I too have heard this, but how can this be? After all a CPU is just a number cruncher, the code decides how the output is rendered not the CPU IMHO...

Limbus
07-29-2005, 02:48 PM
If you mix AMD and intel you can get different results due to some difference in computing random numbers, I think. The difference might not be visible but you can measure it.

duke
07-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Most of these problems were discussed when 6.0 came out and I'm pretty sure had more to do with Hypervoxel colour output. I'm pretty sure this was no longer a problem after 6.5/7.0.

assistant pimp
07-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.I have rendered the same single frame on my P4 system and my new AMD64 system and the P4 took an extra 4 mins.How do you get both machines to render the one frame?
I will have a look at setting up screamernet ,thx Megalodon;)

Screamernet cannot render single frames. Like splitting up the single frame over multiple nodes. You will need to get another network renderer. Amleto does it. But you have to use the old version. Oh and their tech support sucks real bad, version 2.0 has a major flaw and they dont really care to fix it. You can try tequila scream as well.

R-6
07-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Yer Lucky I'm not hardcore about it,was more curious than anything.I think when I can afford it I will update to a dual core AMD and use my other AMD for single frame rendering.

Megalodon
07-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Actually... Scremernet CAN render individual frames because that's what we did back in the "5.6 days." All you have to do is save individual scene files that are set to render only one frame and then load up the scene files in Screamernet. Simple. I haven't done that in years, but I'm sure it's still possible.

Megalodon

Cageman
07-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Actually... Scremernet CAN render individual frames because that's what we did back in the "5.6 days." All you have to do is save individual scene files that are set to render only one frame and then load up the scene files in Screamernet. Simple. I haven't done that in years, but I'm sure it's still possible.

Megalodon

Of course you can do that. Just save the scene with first frame set to 1 and last frame set to 1, and frame 1 will be rendered. However, if you want to render one frame on several cpu's you will need a rendermanager that can do this. I know that Muster is capable of splitting a single frame over a network and then assemble the pieces. This is great for laaarge renders. :)

I havenīt noticed any differences between AMD and Intel cpu's, but Iīve seen differences between renders when mixing x86 and PPC.

samartin
07-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Haven't really had chance to use it but this may help you for single frames over a network, well a start to splitting your scenes up so it canbe done ;)

http://www.frenchwave.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=250

Cageman
07-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Haven't really had chance to use it but this may help you for single frames over a network, well a start to splitting your scenes up so it canbe done ;)

http://www.frenchwave.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=250

Good find! But I recall that Iīve used something similar to this and there were huge gaps in the final render. So far Iīve only managed to split single frames using Muster, but I will try this one for sure!!! :)

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-30-2005, 11:57 PM

No way, I've rendered a lot of diferent scenes over a network with 3 AMD and 1 Intel and there was never a difference between them. LW's 128bit FP renderer can't miss, results are always correct and always the same. I'm especialy gratefull for that when I do looping materials, first and last frame must be absolutely identical.

SplitRender actualy saved my a*s in many situations when I needed renders for print, and a heavy scene just couldn't be rendered on a single comp due to high res and heavy RAM usage.
Split scene into many and shoot it out to screamer.

NanoGator
07-31-2005, 05:34 AM
Back in the Alpha days there was a problem mixing renders across CPUs. It had something to do with the differences in the ways they generated random numbers. Procedurals would look different between the two CPUs, so a network render looked flickery.

I don't know what happens if you mix OSX and Intel, but I can tell you I've successfully network rendered across Intel and AMD with no probs. I couldn't tell you if using a 64-bit processor will change things, but I find it unlikely. At the very least, run a 32 bit version of LW and you'll be fine.

R-6
07-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Very interesting reading guys .Thanks for sharing your knowledge!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 11:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.