PDA

View Full Version : Adding Ram - Does it need to match?

Joel Hooks
07-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I have the K8WE and I want to bump the RAM up to 4gb. Does it have to match? Or can I just add another 4 sticks of the ECC REG 512mb stuff?

extol
07-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey hooks,

Sorry but I dont reall understand ur Question, but I can try neways. If you memory is Dual-Channel then yes you have to use identical memory modules on the Dual-Channel. If not then it doesnt matter. You can tell if u have Dual-Channel DDR by just looking at the MB and seeing if your DIMM slots are two different colors. If they are then you have Dual-Channel. Be careful tho I think you have to install the RAM on a certin channel first. Just take a look in your MB guide it should tell u everything u need to know!

deathman20
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I have the K8WE and I want to bump the RAM up to 4gb. Does it have to match? Or can I just add another 4 sticks of the ECC REG 512mb stuff?

It depends....

Since you got 8 ram slots (just taking a guess from what your saying here didn't look at the mobo info) just adding another 4 sticks of ECC 512mb ram should do it. Typically people say if you have just make sure you have 1 type of ram in your computer (same manufacture and try to get the around the same dates). I've mixed ram in my Dual Channel system though, 2x 512megs of one type and 2x 512megs of another type. It works well just as long as the matching ram sticks are in the correct slots on the motherboard.

Like set one must be in slot 1 and 3 and set two must be in slot 2 and 4. You might want to check on that and post mroe info when you get a chance.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.