PDA

View Full Version : Which book would be better?

AngelDream
07-28-2005, 07:34 PM
LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips & Tricks

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556220901/ref=pd_sim_b_6/002-2989088-9594416?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Lightwave 3D Character Animation
by Timothy Albee

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556220995/ref=pd_sim_b_6/002-2989088-9594416?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Which one would you choose?

Dragon_Lee
07-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Quite different books...

The first leans more to general Lightwave knowhow...the other really focusses on (character) animation techniques...

So its hard to really compare them...

I guess it depends on your knowlege of Lightwave, (and WHAT you want to learn/read about) if you're just starting out with Lightwave, and have no real other 3D-app experience, I'd go with the Tips & Tricks one...

But if that is the case, I think I'd rather recommend Inside Lightwave 3D [8] by Dan Ablan, which is more of a companion to the LW manual, with plenty of learning for the starting Lightwavers :)

AngelDream
07-28-2005, 09:34 PM
I already have Inside Lightwave 7. I'm not a begginer, neither a pro yet. And I was looking forward to learn more character animation, but the 1001 T&T appealed me, since it has been written by so many great people like larry schultz, leigh van der byl, kurv, proton, etc. I'm also looking forward to buy Disney Animation: The illusion of life.
Thanks dragonlee.

Sil3
07-28-2005, 10:26 PM
In that case get Timothy book, u will get an amazing book on CA :thumbsup:

coffeefery
07-29-2005, 03:26 AM
If you're heading into character animation, Timothy's book is your best bet. I would also highly recommend "Animator's Survival Kit".

AngelDream
07-29-2005, 03:39 AM
I wanted from the beggining to buy Albee's book but a hard review of one of his books dissapointed me a little. however, after long thinking and reading your answers I'm buying Albee's book. Thanks for the replies.

chaostest
07-29-2005, 06:30 PM
How good is the other timothy albee book essential lightwave 3d 7.5

Signal2Noise
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Speaking of character animation books, I just got Jonny Gorden's two volumes. They are pretty good! Writing could be better (kind of on the dry side) but technique is good and tutorials go fairly deep. :thumbsup: Cartoon Character Animation (http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=wwpub&Product_Code=Cartoon-Set)

AngelDream
07-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Albee's book, Essential Lightwave 8, has received quite good reviews. The only book I can speak of by now is the Inside Lightwave 7, which is a great book, although it lacks some essential things, for example, UV mapping. However, it's a fine book for the begginer.
It would be nice to see book reviews posted by CGTalk members. Anyone has the CGI Filmmaking by Tim Albee??

Bye.

Signal2Noise
07-30-2005, 12:37 AM
...It would be nice to see book reviews posted by CGTalk members. ...

I'm thinking of doing just that. My LW book collection has grown quite a bit over the last couple of years. I did a similar exercise for 3ds max books (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=70167) way back when. I've long since jumped the max boat for various reasons (*cough*...cost!...*cough*).

...Anyone has the CGI Filmmaking by Tim Albee??

Yup. I've got it. An exceptionally nice book. I find it to be one of those books that you just pick up from time to time to browse. I use it merely for inspiration but I don't find it useful as far as a tutorial book goes. If you're the type of person that digs all the special features and commentaries on a movie DVD then this book is for you. Or a die-hard LW fan- and aren't we all? ;)

AngelDream
07-30-2005, 03:16 AM
I am that kind of person. I'm always looking around to see what can I get into my work. Besides these two books, I wanted to buy Albee's CGI Filmmaking, but the book got this bad review that totally confused me

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556222270/ref=pd_sim_b_3/102-7150586-7351356?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
Unimpressed., March 17, 2005
Reviewer:willie (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/member-glance/-/AL2DVTTG8CPC6/1/ref=cm_cr_auth/102-7150586-7351356?%5Fencoding=UTF8) (CA) - See all my reviews (http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AL2DVTTG8CPC6/ref=cm_cr_auth/102-7150586-7351356?%5Fencoding=UTF8)This book, to the uninformed, might seem like something special however, it seemed more like self promotion on a product that is over hyped and severely lacking in quality content... the DVD of Kaze. (See the rest in the url provided)

I thought, why would this guy be lying? Could it be true that the book was a bad one? So I put it away from my list until I got some other opinions. Maybe this guy is a enemy of Tim Albee, hehehe. I will post a review of Albee's book as soon as I get it. Have LW!!

Darth Mole
07-30-2005, 09:49 AM
If anyone is interested my copy of Inside LW7 is up for sale 2nd hand on Amazon.co.uk. At 18.50 it's the cheapest one there and is in very good condition. Even with LW8 now out, you'll still get lot from this book (after all, Modeller has hardly changed in that time!). In fact, I bought Inside LW8 and was so disappointed at the lack of new material, I took it straight back.

Feel free to contact me direct if you fancy buying it.

Cheers
DM

kevman3d
07-30-2005, 10:22 AM
If you want a REALLY good book on CG film making, I would thoroughly recommend the 'Inspired 3D Short Film Production' book. ISBN 1-59200-117-3

It covers everything, in plenty of detail from writing a story to the post production. Its a generic book, but it explains everything in enough detail to bring you up to speed. If you want a 'sneek peek' then I recommend you check out the series of excerpts that inspired me to buy it here:

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2517

The 1001 Tips and Tricks is a great book as well, but be aware that it won't teach you LightWave, it will however expose plenty of interesting snippets of advice and tips on the tools in LightWave, from Design and Previz through to Texturing, LScript, Expressions, rendering and a lot more. Its like a handy bible of LightWave insite... :) There's also a tonne of cool stuff on the CD Rom...

Kev.

coffeefery
07-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi Angeldream, here are my opinion on Timothy albee's books (as well as lightwave books) since I learnt Lightwave through them:

If you're a beginner and learning Lightwave, Dan's "Inside LW 8" and Timothy Albee's "Essential LW 3D 8" are the 2 books to go for. Dan's book is more easily understood while Tim's book cover more stuff but at the expense of more brain usage. In the end, I refered back to Tim's book more than Dan's book once I finished going through them.

If you're into character animation on LW, no other book gets you done faster than Timothy's "Lightwave 3D Character Animation" (provided you do his tutorials).

If you're into character rigging (which is different from character animation), Johnny Gorden's "Cartoon Character Creation: Vol 1 and 2" are the best.

If you're into understanding lighting in LW, go for Nicholas's "Lightwave 3D 8 Lighting".
If you're into texturing in LW, go for Leigh's "Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing". Her explanation is so much better than the manual, and she speaks from production experience. She mentioned about refering to the manual on the procedural textures in her book, but seriously, she explained more than what the manual mentioned...

As for making your own short film, if I'm to grade it, I would give CGI Filmmaking a 9/10 because there's just so much to learn by reading it. And you feel so motivated and uplifted to start one immediately.

Hope that answers some of your questions :)

P.S. I agree with Signal | Noise's comments on CGI Filmmaking. I think the book works best for newcomers, as well as those who are going to do short films themselves. I got a good first impressions of it. I still browse it to understand why he did what he did in making Kaze since I have similar problems on doing my own short films. He speaks from experience, and most importantly, when I'm in the middle of my project and getting burnt out from doing it over a long period of time, the book helps to lift me up, literally :D

AngelDream
07-31-2005, 12:41 AM
I want to learn more character animation, I mean, I want to learn, because I believe I don't know anything. However, I'm also lacking knowledge of cameras, lighting and so. Please, take a look t the link below, it's my second character animation, comments and critiques are welcome

http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38URCT35HQXNK1KES4TSQNMPHX

Insider
07-31-2005, 09:22 PM
If anyone is interested my copy of Inside LW7 is up for sale 2nd hand on Amazon.co.uk. At 18.50 it's the cheapest one there and is in very good condition. Even with LW8 now out, you'll still get lot from this book (after all, Modeller has hardly changed in that time!). In fact, I bought Inside LW8 and was so disappointed at the lack of new material, I took it straight back.

Feel free to contact me direct if you fancy buying it.

Cheers
DM

DM - lack of new material? Are you sure you got my book? That book was rewritten from the ground up. New tutorials throughout. And, there's 5 hours of exclusive video tutorials from 3D GARAGE.com on the DVD-ROM, something no book has ever offered.

So, pardon my confusion.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.