PDA

View Full Version : MPEG4 to MPEG2

Pretorian
07-28-2005, 07:21 PM
How can I convert a mpeg4 (DivX) file to mpeg2? I was importing the video to Premiere and then exporting as mpeg2. Is this the way or is there any other interesting way to do it?

Thanks

Ckerr812
07-28-2005, 07:40 PM
You are compressing your video twice, which is always a bad idea.

As for other ways try this site, http://www.doom9.org/

There are tons of ways to do this....picking one way is the hard part.

Pretorian
07-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the "other ways". :)

I thought on that, it would be compressing twice. How would you do this? Far as I know, you can't "uncompress" a movie like you do with files (WinZip, WinRAR, etc..).

Ckerr812
07-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Nope, you can't de compress a movie. You need to have good source files that are uncompressed, that would be the best situation.

Like if you have a divx movie, you would need to find the source that the Divx encoder used and use the mpeg2 encoder on the orignal files.

GreyWolf_OPS
07-29-2005, 06:52 PM
You can convert a divx to mpeg2 using Canopus ProCoder 2.

Its like discreets Cleaner. Just a little more streamlined. Thats all.

http://www.canopus.com/Index.asp

It should point you in the right direction.

Beamtracer
07-30-2005, 12:55 AM
What's this DivX "MPEG-4"?

MPEG-4 is the Moving Picture Expert Group's codec format. DivX is a proprietary company with proprietary codecs.

GreyWolf_OPS
07-30-2005, 01:08 AM
Well from my understanding. There is Mpeg-4, and then there is H.264,Divx, sorenson video, xvid.

Now I am not entirely sure here. But I know that Mpeg-4 is part of the Moving Pictures Expert Group. Divx is a varient of the either H.263 or H.264 codec. Same goes for Sorenson and Xvid. They are mainly varients of the H.263 and/H.264 codec with their own proprietary code to make the video even better looking or crisper. Sorenson taylors theirs for internet video. Personally don't like it much, but its pretty popular. The latest Divx 6 is rather impressive. Check out the Madagascar trailer that runs in 1024x768 in full quality. It looks amazing.

Speaking of which, Divx 6 is competing with the HD-DVD and Blue-ray to be one of the choices, since they can compress the video at the level of quality that the new High Def DVD's will be presented at and still fit on a standard DVD. Doesn't look too promising for them right now, but I will say that the quality is amazing.

brzilian
08-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Well from my understanding. There is Mpeg-4, and then there is H.264,Divx, sorenson video, xvid.

Now I am not entirely sure here. But I know that Mpeg-4 is part of the Moving Pictures Expert Group. Divx is a varient of the either H.263 or H.264 codec. Same goes for Sorenson and Xvid. They are mainly varients of the H.263 and/H.264 codec with their own proprietary code to make the video even better looking or crisper. Sorenson taylors theirs for internet video. Personally don't like it much, but its pretty popular. The latest Divx 6 is rather impressive. Check out the Madagascar trailer that runs in 1024x768 in full quality. It looks amazing.

Speaking of which, Divx 6 is competing with the HD-DVD and Blue-ray to be one of the choices, since they can compress the video at the level of quality that the new High Def DVD's will be presented at and still fit on a standard DVD. Doesn't look too promising for them right now, but I will say that the quality is amazing.

DivX, xVid, H.263 and the like are all based off of MPEG-4 spandard which was developed with web delivery in mind.

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.