PDA

View Full Version : Nice Little Plane

SHEPEIRO
07-28-2005, 05:07 PM
hi ilike planes.
please critisize this.
er i mean my liking for planes not the pics.
sorry ignore last statement too long in front of computerscreen.
plse crit

its a game model for a fantasy shottemup/flight game i have always wanted to play.
4000 polys jet seaplane with spinning torpedo loading mechanism around the nose cone.
poly count is high because of individual torpedos. 1024x1024map used in all slots i.e colour, bump, spec, gloss.

AdamAtomic
07-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I really like the design! I think the bump map is a little extreme though. I love the image of it skimming the water, very cool!

Jove
07-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Really nice, agree with Adam on the bump tho

Matt
07-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Not only that, but for a 6000 polygon object you're using an incredibly small texture space.

Wayne Adams
07-29-2005, 11:09 AM
yeah the bump gives off an aluminum foil look. a plane like this deserves a more toonier look IMHO. nice tho. i like the decal.
;)

SHEPEIRO
07-29-2005, 12:02 PM
first off im havin a prob with maxes material editor at the mo, probably need more mem on me old machine (512mb) but when ever i try to open the material editor in this file it crashes, tried merging files and everything it just crashes when i bring it in. arghhhh.

the maps 1024 by 1024 is that not big enough, what would you recommend, for a model this size.

i was going to make a seperatebump/spec map but got side tracked.

as for using cartoon shaders, thats a bit of a cliche, i like realistic mats on warped stuff.

thanks for the crit..

SHEPEIRO
08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
right managed to sort out bug on file, yeah,
plus i played around with bump map etc.
heres some new images.

new crits please

the image shows the torpedo seperatly. this is why model is 6000 poly.

SHEPEIRO
08-11-2005, 02:56 PM
no crits at all?

SHEPEIRO
08-11-2005, 05:28 PM
what still no crits

florian
08-11-2005, 11:50 PM
...still no crit

Its a bit strange, that the bumpmap makes the painting look carved in, instead of painted on the surface. The red, yellow colors on the nose are too much in my opinion.
Compared to your overall polycount, you should fake the holes on the nose with a bump.
To be honest, I'm not sure if they are modeled. If so, they have too many polys.
If not, your bump map works ;)

mine (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=201595) against yours

...wait...I dont have weapons :argh:

SHEPEIRO
08-12-2005, 09:41 AM
mmm hadnt noticed that. will invert painted values on the bump texture for the decal

mine would win although its got guns n stuff but i like your texture.

i flattened the texs on this about a year ago when first started texturing propperly. they ar notvery efficient.

SHEPEIRO
08-12-2005, 10:08 AM
i think i could save alot of space by fliping the tail plane as i dont need 2 sides as they are thwe same. the same could be done for the base (fillet) between wings ane fuse, and the insides of the engine must take up a good 512X256 of the tex, when i could just use one section!hmmm but can i be bothered to redo this model i finished ages ago
is it worth it?

MFTituS
08-12-2005, 01:21 PM
i like the exaggerated design. thats how an airship for a shoot em up should look like.

but the overall texturework is very simple. it is just the same grey over the whole plane. try to paint details, make the metalplates different and rivets around them...you can do so much even with some value and colour variation.
the best example is the thumbnail. there your ship looks fine. but if you make it big, nothing happens. there are no more details coming up than in the thump.

and if it is worth to redo your old model?
i would say, the design is strong, if you have trained your skills and your texturing is much better, than yes, do it and show us, what you are able to do now. if you just wanne optimize the mesh and damp the bump, then nobody will see a big change.

hope it helps a bit.....

SHEPEIRO
08-12-2005, 03:22 PM
MFTitus thank you for your crit.

i will go away and redo the diffuse texture map i know its a little under whelming. i like your ideas about giving the plates different grey values. sod it i will do the bump/spec map aswell.

SHEPEIRO
09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
yeah Adam Automatics EDIT (Crap i meant atomic) EDIT sprites got me yerning for the old skool, so i figured out how to make animated Gifs, this is what i got so fart.

its based on the plane above, but i will try some completely new stuff aswell

they are not optimised very well. the antialiasing that comes from reducing images dont work so well. so some properl drawn stuff is coming as soon as i draw them.

SHEPEIRO
09-15-2005, 05:06 PM
ok heres my first drawn attemt, phew it aint easy.

Bazooka Tooth
09-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Did you mean to leave the white edges around the top view?

I think we should just start the 'micro' challenges on our own, I dont think the mods are into it.

SHEPEIRO
09-16-2005, 09:45 AM
great shall wee start a thread.

heres my latest, i used a simple 3d model for the basis, then painted over, for colours and extras.

hope you like. C&C welcome

oh yeah. white bits, not sure about them, they are from scaling down an image, antialiasing, which i have since realised that you should void at all costs.

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2005, 09:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.