PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful blue screen of death...

Boone
07-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I have problem with my WindowsXP machine where it keeps producing the bluescreen message of "Windows has been shut down to prevent damaged to your PC..." and here is what I can make of it...

I get this message when I try to open Internet Explorer and Norton Anti-Virus. Also, when I try to run the Disk cleaner utility, it progresses a little with examining how much space I have and then goes to the bluescreen... :argh:

Sometimes, I will get the following information: vdmt.sys is causing the problem and returning the error code "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".

The only thing I have installed recently is Doom3:Resurrection of Evil, which didn't install successfully, but did run okay. Since this bluescreen problem, though, I've removed it from my disk to be sure - but hasn't solved the problem...

Also, just before this error occoured, I had noticed a new program that popped up from time to time from a "Synmatec" firm that appeared to be reading in a message? :argh:

First person to solve this gets a bag of Maltesiers! :D

Marzocchi
07-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, from the information that you gave it sound like the Doom anti piracy protection kicked in. If you've installed a illegal copy of the game and later installed new driver updates, this is enough to crash the whole system.

If you have installed an legal bought game it's probably some sort of virus (since you can't open Norton) Try to install another virusprogram and preform a serch to see if it finds something.

Edit: I'm not accusing you for anything, just so that you know.

Boone
07-29-2005, 10:07 AM
"Doom anti piracy protection"? Haha - whatever will those dashing men of action at id think of next? HAHAHAHAHA! :D

Nope - it was indeed a legal copy( 12.98 in GAME ), but I'll try another virus checker. :thumbsup:

evanfotis
07-29-2005, 11:02 AM
try unistalling recked norton, and use something like avg
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
do a virus scan, winows update, and see how it is.

extol
07-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey Boone,

Just some info that might help u solve the problem, a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" a lot of times can mean that your RAM is defective (might not be ur case tho) also the "symantec" thing you noticed; symantec is the company that makes norton anti-virus. If you get the blue screen when u try to open Norton, maybe Norton is the problem. Also the blue screen says that vdmt.sys is causing the problem. I have an idea maybe we can narrow this down. Do a search for "vdmt.sys" file and see if it shows up under Symantec or Norton folders if it does then maybe we have located the problem. If Norton is the problem uninstall it then re-install it and get the latest updates. But this is just a guess! Good luck!

Halford
07-29-2005, 01:17 PM
I would say...run memtest to check the ram and re install Norton ( well try to see if it happens while Norton is not installed ).

Could you give me you Mobo model and Ram as well?

Hal.

prixatw
07-29-2005, 04:33 PM
A quick google for vdmt.sys found some very dodgy sites. Best not to click on them!

Norton sometimes behaves like this when it finds something but can not remove it. (Like IT support staff everywhere, it assumes computers would be much safer if users were not allowed near them!)
Other processes trying to access that file could be triggering the same response.

A different AV program should help.

Boone
07-31-2005, 03:23 PM
A quick update...

1) I "believe" that the vdmt.sys file is in the windows\system32\ folder on my hardisk.

2) My hunt has led me to my "Tempory Internet files" folder in the \local settings section of my hardisk. Whenever I right-click on the folder and select "properties" - Bluescreen occours.

3) Norton Anti-virus is now working! I was able to delete most of the files( "cookies" ) in the "Tempory Internet files" folder and it now works.

4) When I run Norton to do a scan of the entire hardisk - it goes to the bluescreen whenever it inspects the contents of the "Tempory Internet files" folder.

5) Sometimes, the bluescreen will mention a "classPDP.sys" file as the problem...

6) Immediately, after boot-up, I can enter Internet explorer and it seems to be okay. However, when I exit IE and open it up again - Bluescreen. :banghead:

7) I have used the properties section of IE to attempt to move the "Tempory Internet files" folder to another location - but it didn't work.

8) I have run Memtest for 20-30mins and it found no errors with my RAM. It searched "all unused memory" option...

anibal187
07-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Try uninstalling Norton. Some antivirus programs are very intrusive and it may cause some problems with some Doom files. My computer was having serious problems, all thanks to AVG antivirus. After a re-installation everything went smooth.

Halford
08-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Just an idea,

What if you start up with F8 ( just after the bios screen push F8 more than once, you will have then the choice to boot as SAFE MODE ) option and get the Basic Admin log in, this way it will start up in Safe mode and you can delete the temporary folder with no issues.

You can ran a scan while in safe mode as well to delete "inacessibles files".

Let us know.

Hal.

Boone
08-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Hmmm...I'll give it a go! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.