PDA

View Full Version : War cinematic

Maxluere
07-28-2005, 02:03 PM
This is a war cinematic for a game named ghost recon 3...

here is the link :

http://arthur.gordon.free.fr/ghost.htm

http://arthur.gordon.free.fr/images/index2.jpg

http://arthur.gordon.free.fr/ghost.htm

we were 6 or 7 persons during 2 months

The compagny is MAGICLAB (france)
www.magiclab3D.com (http://www.magiclab3D.com)

Hope you enjoy !

eric P
07-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Very nice render,nice cam,nice textures,mo cap a bit weak sometimes
anyway that's a great cinematic.
Did you used gi or indirect illum? how long does it take to render per frames?,what's the resolution output?

peace out

RAINpit
07-28-2005, 03:47 PM
congrats on the job mate
saw this one during E3 , was curios who did it, as i knew this was not ubisoft's cinematic division (didn't look like ubi style, ahem...xsi)
initially i thought it was the same crew that did the sony playstation realtime(caugh caugh)
demo videos, guess i was wrong.
Looks like all is mocap to me? did u keyframe anything?
aaa, somehow i smelled aura was used for that tank scene.. hehe ;)

awesome job people, thumbs up for me
and just so u can hate me , i really disliked the other cinematic u did for ubisoft, the one for Might and Magic 5 posted on ur website.
somehow it "begged" me to compare it with the Exigo Cinematics done by Digic, and, well...u guessed
to me it felt soulless.
but this one for ghost recon is kick ass work

PS. and since i mentioned ubi cinem division that And 1 basketball trailer cinematic was hideous..in my opinion, that had to be the worst animation and cloth simulation i have ever seen in a 20th century video game. i mean, it feels ubi is doing "some" of these cinematics just for the sake of doing them. (beggining to think they're getting into a microsoftish kinda game thing)

cheers

pthomas72
07-28-2005, 04:40 PM
very nice..

Iknow that was Alot of work!!

HellBoy
07-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Yo, thats awesome work, you must be very proud of yourselfs guys, 2 months, thats cool

5 starts here

thematt
07-28-2005, 04:45 PM
wow..awsome..this is Blur studio quality we got here..amazing my friends.

keep it up, this is great.

cheers

Bazooka Tooth
07-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Dang, thats good work.

kkm
07-28-2005, 04:56 PM
that is brutality, a lot of work, but in 2month that is very fast...

danydrunk
07-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I think the reason why it didnt look like ubisoft divison or as you said Xsi is because usually they use in game models for the cinematics with just some little added rendered effects.
this one iis not using in game models it seems.

Anyway thats a very good cinematic. Great quality you achieved there I think. congratulations.

kobeone
07-28-2005, 05:15 PM
This was some really great work, there were a few shots where the mocap was short and coming but that was the only problem. Nothing to big tho. When i was looking at it, the first thing that came to my mind was this looks just like a movie. When i think like that, then you know your doing a good job. Great cinematic. A++ job

P.S. I would love to see some behind-the-scene stuff, like a wire frame of the models if you can.

xsenos
07-28-2005, 05:16 PM
This cought my attention - the very first moments when they are entering the city (area), the camera shoots from behind, there's smoke above their heads, smoke disappears, the sky is clear for a moment and then suddenly dark clouds appear. Looked bugish to me.

Other than that - awesome quality and certainly a superb work here!

Stucky
07-28-2005, 05:20 PM
This movie is awsome dudes.very very good...keep it up magic lab...

polyman
07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Superb work. Did your team use a 3rd party rendering system and other plugins?

-NG-
07-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Sweeet! Nice cinematique there. Can't wait for the game. :)

jayreef
07-28-2005, 05:31 PM
awesome stuff,

:thumbsup:

Ducimus
07-28-2005, 05:31 PM
congrats on the job mate
saw this one during E3 , was curios who did it, as i knew this was not ubisoft's cinematic division (didn't look like ubi style, ahem...xsi)

PS. and since i mentioned ubi cinem division that And 1 basketball trailer cinematic was hideous..in my opinion, that had to be the worst animation and cloth simulation i have ever seen in a 20th century video game. i mean, it feels ubi is doing "some" of these cinematics just for the sake of doing them. (beggining to think they're getting into a microsoftish kinda game thing)

cheers

Be careful what you say, dont' lump all of Ubisoft into one, there are many divisions of ubisoft, Montreal being probably the best one has yet to release a poor trailer or even a poor game...

Other than that, this is a great ciniematic...

But being i the Military, I do have a few inconsistent things to point out...

1 - The story is alittle strange, we hear about the Strykers, which are primarily American vehicles, then they are randomly taken out by jets, which seem to have nothing to do with the troops on the ground...

2 - the trooper who is firing around the corner, well, being the elite troops that they are, he would always bring his sights up to take properly aimed shots...

3 - where did that sniper rifle come from?

4 - Why are they atacking an M1 abrams tank?

But hey there might some stoyryline that i am unaware of but these are just a few sore spots...

karimD
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Un grand Bravo pour toute votre équipe…
textures : ok,
animation : ok,
story board et cameras : ok,
effets spéciaux et post-production : ok,

Délais de fabrication : étonnamment court,

Sur que vous n’avez pas perdu votre temps vous.
Mes sincères souhaits de réussite pour vous tous.

Cordialement,

karim

little note : shadows from tanks crossing the bridge, the view from the sky... they seam weird and could be better

JeroenDStout
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Hmmm....nnno :) that did nothing for me. Bit dull. Couldn't place the animation as realistic, either. Looked like Deus Ex Machina-violence to me.

jayreef
07-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Hmmm....nnno :) that did nothing for me. Bit dull. Couldn't place the animation as realistic, either. Looked like Deus Ex Machina-violence to me.

please pm me with a link to an animation that does impress you, i would love to see it
:)

thanks, and no disrespect intended, your work is great, but i am greatly intriqued by your comment :thumbsup:

Strang
07-28-2005, 06:02 PM

cheers

yeesh a little personal?

maybe the 21st century? worse cloth sim? not by far

how much cloth sim have you done for production? with deadlines? with syflex? on 11 different characters?

i mean come on be resonable.

@magicLabs, great job. i liked the lighting the most. a little of the character animation felt off, but then some shots were just great! i love the whole technology on the battlefield idea..

pum
07-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Very impressive and very inspiring!

oid
07-28-2005, 06:08 PM
3 - where did that sniper rifle come from?

4 - Why are they atacking an M1 abrams tank?

But hey there might some stoyryline that i am unaware of but these are just a few sore spots...

I was wandering where the rpg launcher type thing came from, besides the time that he fires it at the m1a2, it's simply nonexistant, should be slung over someones back or something. I was also wandering the same thing about the stryker and m1a2. At first I thought the USA was fighting the USA inside Mexico.

and for the person who posted this cinematic, what nationality are the soldiers that the camera follows around (I assume they are from USA), why are they fighting Mexico? Does the Mexican army use strykers and abrams tanks? I've seen pictures of mexican army rolling around in 4 wheeled vehicles that um, don't really look like strykers.

GreyWolf_OPS
07-28-2005, 06:25 PM
The whole animation looks cool, but I remeber my training when I was in the service. And its wall-body-weapon. Kills me to see how the guy keeps doing a spin from the wall to shoot.

Surprise good old Tom Clancy didnt catch that one. Seems to me lately that Tom does not have much of a voice in the Tom Clancy games anymore. Shame. But over all I thought it was nicely done. Like the style that it had.

-Alex

loocas
07-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Congrats on the great intro animation! :applause: Very well done! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me guys! :thumbsup:

ENL
07-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I loved it....no comments here....

PhilOsirus
07-28-2005, 06:46 PM
2 - the trooper who is firing around the corner, well, being the elite troops that they are, he would always bring his sights up to take properly aimed shots...

He is using the "Integrated Warfighter System" which is either based on real technology or actual technology, maybe the name is different. Basically the scope is also a camera, so the scope sends image data to the soldier's goggles hence he can aim around corners as such with great accuracy without placing himself in direct danger.

As for the sniper, I am not certain if this is the case here, but the new weapons made by the military are modular, so you can quickly turn a riffle into a sniper, an automatic, or add a shotgun module or grenade luncher.

But I do wish that military advisers were closer to the developpment of the games like it's the case with Metal Gear, the best example of what a military adviser can do for a game, from walking stance to weapons to just about anything.

sestanis
07-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Good stuff! Lots of good comments here that I won't add onto (in respects to the lighting, animation, and military accuracy/inaccuracy). Good work in such a small amount of time:thumbsup:

luima
07-28-2005, 07:10 PM
absolutely amazing, great attention to detail, 5 stars for this piece :thumbsup:

Anthonie
07-28-2005, 07:22 PM
yeah 5 stars :thumbsup:

It's all very good.
Only thing is that sometimes the animation isn't what it should be. but those are very little flaws. It's in overall very nice

Congrats

3D Freak
07-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Great Trailer........Can't wait until the game comes out- Ghost Recon 2 is one of my fav's :thumbsup:
Congrats on a fine piece of work!

john banana
07-28-2005, 07:54 PM
you did great in so short timing.
some animations bother me a tiny bit but the result is :bounce:

good work Magic Arthur.

iduna79
07-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Nice rendered, but I was expecting a lot more realistic moves by the characters. Sometimes too weak.

gpepper
07-28-2005, 08:03 PM
MagicLab ! Great job men !
I knew U before !
Say Hi to Serge and Matthieu if U see them ! :thumbsup:

assistant pimp
07-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Man that was a pretty intense trailer. I love that game series sooo much. I think I held my breather thru the trailer. Good job guys. I hope to be that good one day.

Maxluere
07-28-2005, 08:09 PM
euh... I don't know serge and I don't know matthieu... sory

Nazgul
07-28-2005, 08:09 PM
It is very nice indeed.

Altought 2 months is not a lot of time, when you think of it there's only 1 environment, 4 characters, 5 vehicules and 1 matte painting... so it's feasible.
So for 6-7 people to achieve. Tell me how much overtime ;)

Naz

shingo
07-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Well RAINpit, you should really come out of your shell and say what you really think. images/icons/icon7.gif You are not the easiest guy to please by the sounds of it.

First question I would like to ask is, what do you mean by "ahem...xsi"? or do you want to explain that to house like animal Logic, Omantion, Blur, The Mill and other companies who use it for most of their character work?

Secondly, the And1 Trailer was almost 100% mo-capped. I appreciate your comments, but have you any idea what that many characters is like to manage, with cloth sim, crowd simulation, all in the space of 8 weeks?

And as for the notion that we are just mindlessly pumping these things out like an aseembly line, Ubisoft has a lot of titles, hence lot of Cinematics and trailers. FYI, Ubisoft also won best Cinematic Trailer for 2004 (Prince of Persia Warrior Within) so bagging everythign we do seems pretty harsh dont you think?

congrats on the job mate

and just so u can hate me , i really disliked the other cinematic u did for ubisoft, the one for Might and Magic 5 posted on ur website.
somehow it "begged" me to compare it with the Exigo Cinematics done by Digic, and, well...u guessed
to me it felt soulless.

cheers

lo
07-28-2005, 08:48 PM
I really can't understand why everyone is scrutinizing this animation from a storyline perspective. First of all, I'm sure the animation team isn't the one who decided on what happens in the game... and second of all... this is a futuristic setting in a fictional environment, they're allowed some tinkering of facts.
It's like telling the animation team that made Lord of the Rings - "pffft... that's crappy animation, there's no such thing as orcs!"

I thought the trailer is really great - some parts of the motion were a bit unnatural but other than that, awesome quality!

Raphael-Lacoste
07-28-2005, 08:55 PM
to me it felt soulless.

cheers

Ah Ah Ah.... I think man you may be a bit too fast in your judgment, you have faild to mention that we wond Awards with Prince of Persia Warrior Within Trailer and Cinematics, The studio did an amazing job on Prince of Persia 3 trailer, with Mathieu Raynault on the MattePaintings, don't talk too fast there are very talented people here...

Raphael Lacoste
Cinematic Dept Art Director
Montreal Canada
ha ha ha.....

kabojnk
07-28-2005, 09:11 PM
He is using the "Integrated Warfighter System" which is either based on real technology or actual technology, maybe the name is different. Basically the scope is also a camera, so the scope sends image data to the soldier's goggles hence he can aim around corners as such with great accuracy without placing himself in direct danger.

As for the sniper, I am not certain if this is the case here, but the new weapons made by the military are modular, so you can quickly turn a riffle into a sniper, an automatic, or add a shotgun module or grenade luncher.

But I do wish that military advisers were closer to the developpment of the games like it's the case with Metal Gear, the best example of what a military adviser can do for a game, from walking stance to weapons to just about anything.

You have the best avatar here. Period. :buttrock:

Anyway, I loved the texturing... Not quite Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within quality, but still damn good provided that you had only a handful of guys. The animation for the most part was realistic, but still didn't seem fluid enough for my eyes, but it's perfectly fine for a video game commercial. :)

The only major problems I have are the military inconsistencies that have been previously mentioned, especially the part about the airstrike. Granted, most people who see the commercial won't know the difference between military tactics and hollywood military tactics, but even they might go, "What in the hell was that whole airstrike thing about?"--that's what I asked, anyway.

By the way, another thing I loved was the aerial shot of Mexico City zooming in. Very, very well done. :)

Ducimus
07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
I really can't understand why everyone is scrutinizing this animation from a storyline perspective. First of all, I'm sure the animation team isn't the one who decided on what happens in the game... and second of all... this is a futuristic setting in a fictional environment, they're allowed some tinkering of facts.
It's like telling the animation team that made Lord of the Rings - "pffft... that's crappy animation, there's no such thing as orcs!"

I thought the trailer is really great - some parts of the motion were a bit unnatural but other than that, awesome quality!

When you have a game based on war fighting tactics it always helps to have a little authenticity...

Ohh, and the soldier who was shooting around the wall, was not the not i was speaking but the other who kept spining from behind the wall to fire...

I have no gripes about anything except the authenticity towards military combat, if Tom Clancy where at the helm, he'd be rolling over in his grave, if he where dead... :p

Nazgul
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
About story and army tactic inconsistencies...
Sometimes the client asks for that kind of thing. They usually have it all in mind and you just execute. So if your client is asking for that kind of move and that camera and this position etc...you have no choice but to give it to them. So it's usually not the team who did the animation that was wrong..

Maxluere
07-28-2005, 09:26 PM
the soldier who "kept spining from behind the wall to fire..." have a camera gun...
this is one of the gameplay of the ghost recon series... so he can shot whithout being saw...

For the aistrike, this is not at the same place of the 4 soldiers but few miles from the action...

the action take place in 2010...

hope I answer all your questions....

SheepFactory
07-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Thats a lot of work to do in 2 months and you guys nicely pulled it off.

I think the animation is very jerky in some areas and the pacing can be improved but overall very impressive , especially considering the time limit.

cgtalkmember
07-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Wow may i add, it looked almost real, i could feel the tension of the game. Simply well done. One thing i found odd was the guns shooting, there was no kick on it.

monkeykingxxx
07-28-2005, 10:36 PM
nice cinematic guys. love the look and feel of everything.

maxluere you mention that it took 7 people to make this cinematic in 2 months, now does this work include all the storyboarding concepting, modeling, texturing, animating and all post production work that consists in this entire cinematic was completely done by the 7 people team? or did ubi provide you guys with a lot of the art assets and your studio focused mainly on animation, shot setup and post production work.

again, very nice work.

Maxluere
07-28-2005, 10:40 PM
when I mean we were 6-7... it's average... on the 2 months, somtimes we were 3, somtimes we were 10...

and I talk only about CG artist ( not storyborder, director or producer)

VKarlsson
07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
This one was really great. Really nice textures and nice bullet scene! 5 stars from me

shtl
07-29-2005, 12:05 AM
rrraaaa non pas encore vous!
alors que je démarchais un client potentiel ya environ un mois, ceux ci me disent: "désolé, nous ce qu'on veux c'est ce qu'ont fait ces 7 gars en 2 mois", et bing ils balancent la démo...
:eek:
et la je repart la queue entre les jambes:wise: haha
pas possible de luter haha! trop la guerre ;)

awesome work for 2 months, even so it's a wonderfull sequence:thumbsup:
well i suppose you know that.
i especially admired the wall painted textures and the effect it makes in the environnement atmosphere. Soldiers move quite well, closes sim , lightning, camera centring and focal, etc, but yeah, the atmosphere is the key overall, colors feeling. I think it's this kind of small details that make the differences with all thoose war cinematics we already saw and we will see again and again... yeah hope you'll keep on producing in that direction, true difference between technicity logic and true talent, well my personnal taste for sure.

Congrats for you all, hope to see more from your great team soon :thumbsup:
mais pas trop hein je voudrai bien bosser un peu moi aussi ;)

MSun
07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
looks great, but i have a few questions,

1, like someone had asked, why in the world would they attack an american tank?(or america sells M1 to mexico?)

2, being the elite, they should know always have a person to take care of their six, so someone is always looking back so they got the 360 degrees covered :D

and really great animation, i like it :D:thumbsup:

DarkSkills
07-29-2005, 12:38 AM
:applause: Well done! Well done indeed!

Skirnir
07-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Great animation. Good lighting, textures, everything.

After watching the animation though I think I understand some of the things Ducimos and a few others were talking about, which are more relative to a realworld situation or helping the viewer understand; rather than the actual quality of the animation.

I think the airstrike appears confusing because of when and how it appears. Normally tanks and airforce are deployed as the basic force for military bombardment to Harm and destroy an enemies forces/bases/supplies/etc. This has been the warfare style since WWII called "blitzkrieg" tactics first utilized by Adolf Hitler beginning with the invasion of Poland. Other cases where the airforce is used is when an officer(I don't know what rank is given clearance to command an airraid) calls them in during desperate or extreme measures. The attack in this case seems to be neither which may be what Ducimos is questioning regarding the Airstrike. Im sure there are a few other cases airforce is deployed, but I can only speak what limited knowledge I know. Regardless, this does not hinder from the animation or the skill of those involved in the project. :)

When it was mentioned about the soldier spinning and firing; the position of his weapon during combat would actually decrease his ability to do proper combat. Granted you said the weapon had a camera, however, the fact that he has placed his entire body in harms way and has crouched down and taken part of a second to aim his weapon makes the actual manuever seem unrealistic. Bringing the gun w/ camera from the height of his chest to the sights in his eyes would actually make him more effective and more accurate with the weapon. One's own perspective vision is far superior to that of a digitized image from a camera regardless of the camera's visual specs because of the ways the brain interprets the bodies actions in an environment. However, we are again talking about a game animation so we can disregard some of the realism. It was still enjoyable to watch! :thumbsup:

The weapons which appear out of nowhere which were an entirely different mockup of the weapons they possessed without extra munitions/weapon caches being brought is an unrealistic thing, however once again...its a game animation...gotta let some thing slide. :scream:

And who cares about why they are trying to target tanks...maybe they just like to blow stuff up...I mean...Doesnt everybody?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

5 stars from me!

robin
07-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Its pretty good, the motion is potent, the textures are nice, my problem with it is the modeling. Probably too stiff and the gears are a little too much "starship troopers" i mean did you watched this show just before bed each night and decided that is a cool design.

webhead
07-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Nice camera work. Really gives a feeling of realism; reminds me of the camera work in the movie SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. :thumbsup:

Digiegg
07-29-2005, 02:05 AM
WOW... just amazing CG video... wow...

whoever directed it, it there job reallll damn well
Also the modelers and the animators...
you guys are just so amazing....
good job guys.
I love it...
makes me want to play the game.

HWX
07-29-2005, 02:21 AM
very very cool! great work!:thumbsup:

Neeno
07-29-2005, 02:32 AM
very nice work thoroughly enjoyed it.. excellent work! :thumbsup:

Titan
07-29-2005, 03:11 AM
I am a Huge fan of the series, and I cantwait for this version.....nice cinematic...I really enjoyed it...especially the truck driving by and the attention to details like the brick chips breaking off from bullet impacts.....very intense lighting too...awesome all around!

dragonP
07-29-2005, 03:15 AM
This looks so sweet. I cant wait. Man I love CG and where its going. :thumbsup:

Ducimus
07-29-2005, 03:58 AM
Its pretty good, the motion is potent, the textures are nice, my problem with it is the modeling. Probably too stiff and the gears are a little too much "starship troopers" i mean did you watched this show just before bed each night and decided that is a cool design.

The kit they are wearing is currently being develpoed by the US...

gpepper
07-29-2005, 06:10 AM
euh... I don't know serge and I don't know matthieu... sory

They are not graphists, Serge is one of the associates and Matthieu is a friend of him who helps sometimes to find new customers...
Strange that U don't know them...
:argh:

kiboSVK
07-29-2005, 06:10 AM
very good work nice texture and camera
magnificent intro GREAT WORK

colintheys
07-29-2005, 06:15 AM
The animation was excellent, especially considering the timeline. The lighting and texturing was my favorite part. I felt that it achieved very well a feeling of bright, hot sunlight and dirt and dust on the textures. Excellent work. The only thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned was that when he fires at the tank, the smoke from the grenade has suddenly cleared! However, having said that, this is really top-rate animation and I think it's unfortunate that there seem to have been so many seemingly mean-spirited posts in this thread. This is definately work that you deserve to be vwey proud of.

smoluck
07-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Very Impressive Bullet Scene with many tension like in Battlefield 2 cinematic's but in HighRes...haha... thanks to the "French Touch" well mixed with Hollywood Blv. :buttrock:

Just a question ??? Can you help me on my carrer, I think you doesn't need new team worker, but maybe think that was interesting to see your work in France..I leave in Paris so can I have a VIP passport to see you as a friend CG artist :rolleyes: ?

:wavey:

Adriano-Zanetti
07-29-2005, 08:01 AM
it's aiiight... I guess...

hehe ;)

F###in hell, what a work ! Congrats guys !

pe@ce

Lunatique
07-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Good job!

A couple of things I noticed:

1) Some shots of one of the soldiers firing showed him just shooting from the waist and not aiming with his scope at all (I'm not talking the shot of covering firing shooting from behind the wall). In reality, AFAIK (I used to play airsoft with guys in the special forces and the army on weekends), you just don't shoot your gun like that. Even during cover firing, you aim--unless you are doing that "reaching from behind a corner" thing.

2) All 4 soldiers seemed to have similar build and similar proportions. I think variation would've been more interesting and realistic to look at.

KaDDD
07-29-2005, 09:39 AM
excellent work ! ! ! in part i like the realistique lights and very good shader , the camera move are amazing and the mocap very good for the realistic effect! ! !

an very impressive work ! ! ! encore une fois bravo à toute la team pour ce tour de force ! !

ashrumm
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
The trailer is really nice, though i would highly advise walking down the middle of the street as if it is the yellow brick road. I don't know who's idea that was but its not accurate to urban warfare combat protocol. Other than that I really enjoyed the fatigues really nice textures all around. Great trailer.

Major Bootay
07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
First off its amazing work to get that done with the time limits. Was odd though as I didnt like the pace and the cuts the first time i watched it. It felt awkward somehow, but after watching it a few times I kinda got into it. The only prob then after watchin it a few times was some of the actions bothered me (namely that guy spinning to fire) but never mind.

Other than that I cant fault it. Looks very classy and I would be very proud to have produced it. Well done!

SILMAETH
07-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi everybody, thanks for the comments.
by the way, I'd like to congratulate all the team member who worked on that cinematic.
to answer some questions:
-The rendering is 3DS Max scanline with Lightracer
-The proportion of the character was restricted by the Mo-cap skeleton system

As the character modelling/texturing artist, I'd like to share some behind the scene pictures...
so here's first some wires of the main character
I'll post full renderings of the characters ASAP

WEIHUA
07-29-2005, 01:58 PM
The animation was excellent . I like very much:thumbsup: :bounce:

Masnado
07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Simply incredible.

I love love love textures!

SupRore
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
The kit they are wearing is currently being develpoed by the US...

Yeah, here. (http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Warrior,,00.html)

Anyway: The cinematic is excellent. I see nothing wrong from a modeling/rendering/texturing perspective. Save that the textures for the damage on the walls when Mitchell was being fired apon using the corner as cover looked a bit flat.

'Course, I'm not exactly experienced with cgi, and for 2 months...

5 stars, from me.

vfxcreator
07-29-2005, 02:28 PM
first off, excellent job given the 8 week time frame. it certainly looks nice visually. the matte painting on the opening shot with the pan upwards really rocks. Did the client come to you with storyboards or the idea? Or did you guys have to do that within the 8 weeks?

-The proportion of the character was restricted by the Mo-cap skeleton system

how so? did you guys go straight from cleaned data into character studio? motionbuilder would have made it easy to retarget the data onto other proportioned characters...

which brings me to the animation. it REALLY bugs me as looking like uncleaned mocap data. they actually look like toy soldiers moving around. did you guys handle the shoot, or was that ubisoft that gave you data? our mocap director would go nuts seeing this, as he never wants anyone to get the impression that mocap = poor animation. and i have to agree...

the facial stuff was pretty off as well. looked like they just had a jaw joint and no morphs or anything... dead faces with a moving jaw. which is understandable - you had a deadline, but.... :)

other than that, i thought visually it was great. models and textures looked spot on. some of the edit cuts were a little odd. the camera work was pretty decent, and the effects hit the spot. nice work with those - did you use any plugins for the explosions? (afterburn?)

gotta love those <8 week deadlines.... well done! :)

shingo
07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
8 weeks doens't give you much time for anything, especialyl when the director is changing his mind and you are getting revisions from the client. Our modelling team are often remodellign characters after being approved. Games clients seem to forget that while they can drop new character designs in and out of a games engine, it isn't neatly as straightforward in high res. Thus they are prone to constatly changing their monds. That's the nature of cinematics.

Mo-cap can sometimes be more trouble than it's worth (espeically if you have a limited deadline and budget), though I agree that retargetting should not be an issue with tools like Motion Builder.

Facial animation doesn't seem a big issue given the amount of garb these guys have on their heads and faces.

For such a small time and team, I think the guys deserve full marks.

first off, excellent job given the 8 week time frame. it certainly looks nice visually. the matte painting on the opening shot with the pan upwards really rocks. Did the client come to you with storyboards or the idea? Or did you guys have to do that within the 8 weeks?

how so? did you guys go straight from cleaned data into character studio? motionbuilder would have made it easy to retarget the data onto other proportioned characters...

which brings me to the animation. it REALLY bugs me as looking like uncleaned mocap data. they actually look like toy soldiers moving around. did you guys handle the shoot, or was that ubisoft that gave you data? our mocap director would go nuts seeing this, as he never wants anyone to get the impression that mocap = poor animation. and i have to agree...

the facial stuff was pretty off as well. looked like they just had a jaw joint and no morphs or anything... dead faces with a moving jaw. which is understandable - you had a deadline, but.... :)

other than that, i thought visually it was great. models and textures looked spot on. some of the edit cuts were a little odd. the camera work was pretty decent, and the effects hit the spot. nice work with those - did you use any plugins for the explosions? (afterburn?)

gotta love those <8 week deadlines.... well done! :)

==Spawn==
07-29-2005, 03:10 PM
any chance of a direct link to download the video?? :scream: :D

Leydecker
07-29-2005, 03:18 PM
I like the take on the FCS stuff, e.g. the designs look pretty much what the
U.S. military has presented to public lately...

The only thing I don´t like is the model of the HK G-36 US mod, even thought
it´s recognisable, it seems the smooth/subD made it loose too much volume,
especially in Y, for Y up.

Other than that, cool athmosphere, lovely modeling and texturing. Great style.

Can´t compete with that. Definitely.

Cheers

tim

P.S: It is weird to see an M1A1 Abrams being blown up by US troops, thought.

grundelboy
07-29-2005, 03:24 PM
You can get it from your cache it's not a streaming file.

stefgrafx
07-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Black hawk Down Part II.. not in somalia.. but in mexico.. why not.. good job.

maelstrom
07-29-2005, 03:34 PM
nice rendering, nice modelling, top job there!

some of the mocap looks really off, you can see the actors weren't trained soldiers. in the first scene with the kneeling soldier shooting: the gun doesn't have any significant recoil and he holds it too far from his body.

what's really bad is the guy tossing a grenade like a little highschool girl :)

considering production time you guys did a stellar job though.

vfxcreator
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
8 weeks doens't give you much time for anything, especialyl when the director is changing his mind and you are getting revisions from the client. Our modelling team are often remodellign characters after being approved. Games clients seem to forget that while they can drop new character designs in and out of a games engine, it isn't neatly as straightforward in high res. Thus they are prone to constatly changing their monds. That's the nature of cinematics.

yeah, its funny how a lot of designers think a design change should be simple and wont have such a ripple effect that it does to us artists. still, with 8 weeks, thats not a super rush job, but it is tight. as with our stubbs cinema, we had 5 weeks and that was with hashing out the storyline for client approval. granted, it did not involve a lot of the effects in this one, but from those 5 weeks, i can be a good judge of what an 8 week project would be like. so yes, it was an excellent job for 8 weeks...

Mo-cap can sometimes be more trouble than it's worth (espeically if you have a limited deadline and budget), though I agree that retargetting should not be an issue with tools like Motion Builder.

especially if character studio is involved... yikes!

Facial animation doesn't seem a big issue given the amount of garb these guys have on their heads and faces.

to me, facial animation cannot be skimped on these days. it's just horrible to watch dead characters with stiff faces. you still see their faces with all the equipment over them, and they do talk. it wouldnt bug me so much, but with the last shot of the cinema showing a closeup of the leader talking and trying to show some emotion, it was just a bad image to be left with at the end.

i'm not trying to bust a nut or anything, i'm just saying in general... people should spend more time making characters look alive in the face. even blur's cinemas where they have 4 week deadlines have a major lack of facial animation. seeing their shorts, you know they can do facial stuff, but with these tight deadlines for game stuff, facial anim usually gets the ass end of the production.

/end facial rant :)

For such a small time and team, I think the guys deserve full marks.

i totally agree... a job very well done.

mosconariz
07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I live in Mexico City, and yeah, I think you got very well the look of some of the poor zones of the city, it looks to me like Ecatepec or Vallejo, hehe. However, the cars you put in the streets are datsuns and that stuff... not very common here, you should have used VW bugs and combis, tsurus, jettas (boras), some chevrolets and chryslers maybe, etc... I know this doesn't matter that much for the 90% of the possible costumers, but for me, it just doesn't fit.

DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO HERE! (http://arthur.gordon.free.fr/images/MAgicLab_GR3_med.mov)

If you save the page htm and open it in note pad you'll find: <embed src="images/MAgicLab_GR3_med.mov" type="video/quicktime" autoplay="true" controller="true" cache="true" loop="true"
:scream:

decipleofX
07-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Im speachless, Damn!

==Spawn==
07-29-2005, 04:10 PM
DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO HERE! (http://arthur.gordon.free.fr/images/MAgicLab_GR3_med.mov)

If you save the page htm and open it in note pad you'll find: <embed src="images/MAgicLab_GR3_med.mov" type="video/quicktime" autoplay="true" controller="true" cache="true" loop="true"
:scream:

muchas gracias...estoy en un pc sin QT y queria llevarme el video a mi casa...:scream:

xjgd4321
07-29-2005, 04:43 PM
perfect job!

especially the ambience of the war!
hoping your new job!

Naseem
07-29-2005, 05:08 PM
very nice show indeed! i'v seen it at E3 :P

gpepper
07-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm so speechless about your work ! I think most of the studio's make such cinematic with bigger team !
A great lesson of production !
Are all the animations made in Motion capture or some were made in keyframing ?
What kind of software do U use to compose?
Do U render by pass ? And what kind of channels do U use ?

euh... I don't know serge and I don't know matthieu... sorry

PS : Matthieu (my cousin by the way) has just told me that he only came once at Magic Lab (that's why you don't know him...), and in fact Serge isn't an associate but one of ML
big customers, maybe U know him...

sorry for the misunderstanding, I was wrong for sure...
:argh:

Learn_w_Grafix
07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree with Kobeone (post #11), "When i was looking at it, the first thing that came to my mind was this looks just like a movie." Really nice work!No crits from a "that wasn't right" point of view.
The one thing I did notice (and that seems is not in agreement with the others here!) is the textures of the soldiers' uniforms. They seemed too uniform (no pun intended), and flat (the textures themselves, not the uniforms or the soldiers).
The part where the pickup truck full of guys drives past was outstanding, IMO.

andronikos916
07-29-2005, 08:09 PM
amazing work ...not good enought to critique your work!

congrats to all people involved!

cy,
Andronikos:):thumbsup:

Spc
07-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Awesome trailer.
Nicely done.

:eek:

shyy
07-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Amazingly detailed

chaostest
07-30-2005, 08:20 AM
that was nasty! whats a mocap because i didnt see nothing wrong with that. RESPECT KNUCKLES.. reaally reaaly sweet

RAINpit
07-30-2005, 02:24 PM
ok, been away for a couple of days and i feel like i need to give some ppl a little explanation.
shingo, el rafo, i wan't bashing u and u'r teams, u did great jobs on prince of persia , hell i loved it.
i was just pissed with the and 1 trailer, to me it sucked. and i just felt like spitting it out here. sorry for robbing the thread
as for ubisoft itself, lets just say i had some nasty experience these weeks with ubisoft romania division, that left me a bit "bleah" about ubisoft and they're attitude as a company
just personal view again (thats why i made the microsoftish comment, but again i was bashing ubisoft itself, not u people)
so, i didn;t say anything about the "other" titles. i just said and 1 and thats it.
as for what it involved, the man power, the hours etc invested into it
i can only guess that people gave they're uber best
i wasn't bashing the man power and creativity of the team
just the end result
so my apologies if i offended u people

cheers

eXiGe_da_1337
07-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Amazing work! 5/5 stars! :scream:

Fredivoss
07-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Very fine result! Especialy for this short peroid of time you worked on that with only 6 people...sounds like alot of coffee and pizza ;)

shingo
07-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Rainpit,

No offence taken. We are not privy to what takes place at other office, but as is the case with all large companies, there will always be people left with bad experiences as well as good.

As always, you can't please everybody and we respect your opinion. Sometimes you are asked to produce something you may or may not agree with, but ultimately, the director is the one with the vision. It might surprise you, but in this case, the client was very happy with with the end product.

ok, been away for a couple of days and i feel like i need to give some ppl a little explanation.
shingo, el rafo, i wan't bashing u and u'r teams, u did great jobs on prince of persia , hell i loved it.
i was just pissed with the and 1 trailer, to me it sucked. and i just felt like spitting it out here. sorry for robbing the thread
as for ubisoft itself, lets just say i had some nasty experience these weeks with ubisoft romania division, that left me a bit "bleah" about ubisoft and they're attitude as a company
just personal view again (thats why i made the microsoftish comment, but again i was bashing ubisoft itself, not u people)
so, i didn;t say anything about the "other" titles. i just said and 1 and thats it.
as for what it involved, the man power, the hours etc invested into it
i can only guess that people gave they're uber best
i wasn't bashing the man power and creativity of the team
just the end result
so my apologies if i offended u people

cheers

Tilstrom
07-31-2005, 11:15 AM
excellent work, i loved that. :)

kromekat
07-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Like it! :D

LOTK
07-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Ok the work is very good and professional and the time limits are really tough, well done for a good job.

I guess I will not go into details, cause I am well aware that the detail rocks and you are much better in making it look as good as it gets. Texturing, light, motion and vfx are all very very good work for what my eyes have seen up to now.

This is beyond the art part but it is a comment I would like to make since I feel like it. I have to say that though this is a concept of your company (and not particularly yours), and you did a good job for it which is what you are working for, on the other hand I am fed up of "go go go" trailers and american invasion style attacks with hi-tech gadgets etc. Perhaps the same concept in an imaginary scenery with unknown "enemies" would make a better impression. Just a small crit for the game industry really.

Well done guys

LOTK

Rivendale
07-31-2005, 10:31 PM
The textures,atmospherics and overall rendering was really nice and for the timeframe it's very good work!
I do have a few issues with it. The animation does not sit very well with me. It often pulls me out of what's happening. It's a bit jerky and not fluid enough imo. I know I am a bit picky though.
The characters proportions are a bit off. Mainly I think the upper bodies are too small. With all the gear they are wearing they would have to be pretty thin to look like that.
The overall story is weak for me, it mostly tells me this is yet another game from yet another Clancy book made to perhaps glorify the recent american military operations and that doesn't appeal to me very much. I mostly feel bad for the dude getting shot. I got no reason why I should not be on his side other than the fact the the other soldiers look "western". Also I wish companies would realize that games like this must stick out as a sore thumb in the eyes of some people in the middle-east, but I guess they don't care...what a world eh.

Your part in the making of the cinematic is overall very well executed though.

Peace,
CML

KtmDuke2
08-02-2005, 06:53 AM
RivendaleThe textures,atmospherics and overall rendering was really nice and for the timeframe it's very good work!
I do have a few issues with it. The animation does not sit very well with me. It often pulls me out of what's happening. It's a bit jerky and not fluid enough imo. I know I am a bit picky though.
The characters proportions are a bit off. Mainly I think the upper bodies are too small. With all the gear they are wearing they would have to be pretty thin to look like that.
The overall story is weak for me, it mostly tells me this is yet another game from yet another Clancy book made to perhaps glorify the recent american military operations and that doesn't appeal to me very much. I mostly feel bad for the dude getting shot. I got no reason why I should not be on his side other than the fact the the other soldiers look "western". Also I wish companies would realize that games like this must stick out as a sore thumb in the eyes of some people in the middle-east, but I guess they don't care...what a world eh.

Your part in the making of the cinematic is overall very well executed though.

Peace,
CML

Firstly I would like to say this is an animation forum so surely it could be kept non political?

And on the animation..............great job! I rececently went to a motion capture studio to take a look at how the whole procedure works from the initial set up, calibration and to the collection of data. And I have to say that it was a very entertaining and educational experience (I got to wear the gimp suit as well :)). Now it doesn't make me a Mo-Cap expert but the Mo-Cap in the animation looked pretty sweet. There have been comments made at how bad it looks and it must have been unfiltered etc etc but the camera movement and the action certainly takes the attention away from this...if its even there I personally couldn't see it but I have no training in Motion Capture either.

But on a whole the animation rocks, from the textures to the models to the lighting you name it!

For those of you complaining about the tactical movements of the soldiers and the scenario, broaden your minds. Would someone be suprised to see and American fighter shooting down an F14 Tomcat that was in Iranian colours in the late 70's early 80's? We guess what its real the Iranians bought F14 Tomcats of the Americans. Whose to say it didnt happen with the Americans and the Mexicans between 2005 and 2013 (but with M1 Abrams and Strykers)?

Its a film and it can be any scenario. I spent 12 1/2 years in the Army and yeah even though some of the tactics seem alittle dubious I appreciated the clip for what it was, a great combination of lighting, texturing, modeling, mocap and action.

Its a thumbs up from me

Fulix
08-02-2005, 07:53 AM
I like the take on the FCS stuff, e.g. the designs look pretty much what the
U.S. military has presented to public lately...

The only thing I don´t like is the model of the HK G-36 US mod, even thought
it´s recognisable, it seems the smooth/subD made it loose too much volume,
especially in Y, for Y up.

Other than that, cool athmosphere, lovely modeling and texturing. Great style.

Can´t compete with that. Definitely.

Cheers

tim

P.S: It is weird to see an M1A1 Abrams being blown up by US troops, thought.

Fisrt of all awesome video! I saw it before in a Ghost Recon community website... looking foward to the PC version.

The weapon shown in the video, although it is from HK too, it is not an G-36 but XM-8... the runner up to replace the M-4 carbine (although, the SOCOM recently said they will adopt the S.C.A.R. :thumbsup: ).

About some questions of 'Why Mexico?' and 'Abrams blown up by U.S. troops' you guys could do some research about the game history... here´s a link of the official website http://www.ghostrecon.com/uk/ghostrecon3/

Enjoy.

Cheers to all.

cg_zeroorone
08-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I liked it, I give it 4 stars

Leydecker
08-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi Fulix,

yeah, it looks something like the XM8, a stepbrother of the G-36. Have a look at
this site, to see what I meant when I said the guns look to small, especially in Y:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm

Regarding the Abrams, it´s just that it´s an unusual scenario to try and nuke
*homemade tanks*, exept for training purposes of course.
Didn´t say I dont like the idea. It´s something new...

Cheers

tim

P.S: The S.C.A.R. indeed looks more like a *customizable* gun but is probably
just as tedious to clean as the XM8. Either these RIS attachments or those dents,
but still nothing to protect the Magazine Release Button from being pressed by mistake...
That´ll be version A1 then, just as it was with the M16.

Fulix
08-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi Tim,

I understand what you meant now... it really looks a bit inacurate...

http://www.ginklai.net/images/pesti/432_xm8soldier.jpg

About the game:

You are a member of an elite United States Special Forces unit: the ghosts. The year is 2013, and the leaders of the United States, Canada, and Mexico are meeting at a political summit in Mexico City to negotiate a trade treaty. Mexican rebels take advantage of the unique opportunity to attack the event, which results in the kidnapping of the US president. The ghosts must provide assistance in quelling the unrest, and, of course, in rescuing the commander in chief. The game's single-player campaign will take place in multiple districts throughout the sprawl of Mexico City.

A bit John Woo films, but...:shrug:

PS: Thank god they choose the SCAR over XM-8... SCAR seems more versatible, 'solid' (don´t seem like a toy - like the XM-8) and pretty! :)

My apollogies about the missunderstanding.

Cheers

kyrobyro
08-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Awesome trailer.....i am not a ghost recon fan but when i saw this trailer.....i was like hell yeah Xbox 360 is definitly worth buying with Ghost Recon 3 and PGR 3

ted4ever
08-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Simply Love this piece! Have been watching it repeatly. It's one of the best cinema animation for video games I've ever watched.

P.S. It does remind me a lot of Black Hawk Down, just not as gory as it.

w4y
08-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Very nice trailer i like it. I'm very impressive when i was watching it.
Nice job :thumbsup:

Grosserfrosch
08-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Can you do something about your server? get a mirror or something? I can't get the video to load past the first 15 seconds or so. It just stops. And everybody else can just keep quiet cause all you are going to say is dumb crap about how it is probably a problem on my part when this only happens with one damn server.

Jazzbreeze
08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
good!!http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif i like it

AndersEgleus
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Very nice trailer. Especially impressed by the look of the rendering and lighting. What system did you use for creating the volumetric smoke, explosions and bullet hits? I'm refering both to the rendered look of the volumetrics which are really nice and to the movement of the smoke which looks very realistic and fluid-like.

Afanissiev
09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
:buttrock: waoo! just fantastic!:buttrock:

blz
09-09-2005, 02:52 PM
excellent work
congratulations guys

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2005, 02:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.