PDA

View Full Version : DV interlace???

CyborgFetus
07-28-2005, 03:03 PM
I am making a skateboard video and have some questions about the interlacing of my DV footage.

I searched the forums first, but didn't really find anything relevant, so here goes...

I am using PAL DV footage and editing with Premiere Pro and After Effects 6 on a PC.

Some of my clips get that "comb" effect. Being clips with a lot of motion, it is pretty obvious and just doesn't look right. But not all the clips look like this, some are fine.

I read that this could be because it is looking at the fields (upper & lower) out of order.

BUT all the footage has been captured and edited in the same way, so I thought it should all either look fine, or be out of order.

I am editing these clips into individual sections, then placing them all together and rendering into one DV AVI for use in an Encore DVD project.

When I preview the project the interlacing looks bad or out...

Will this look OK once it's a final DVD and viewed on TV or do I have to change the interlacing in my original projects before I export it?

Thanks, hope someone can help here...

BlueTide
07-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Will this look OK once it's a final DVD and viewed on TV or do I have to change the interlacing in my original projects before I export it?

Without seeing the shots, I would dare to guess it is normal. Computer screens are progressive, so especially stills from interlaced material look odd at times. This does not bother TV sets. Run it back to the tape on the camera, connect it to the TV and play to be sure you have not done anything odd.

CyborgFetus
08-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks, It's OK, I got everything to work out fine.

I just exported some clips in a bunch of diffent ways and found the best one.

JohnnyRandom
08-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Tons of people ask about the combing artifacts... There's nothing wrong with your interlacing.

Its from watching interlaced footage on a non-interlaced monitor I.E. CRT or LCD on your PC. Simple as that.

When working in Premiere hook up your DV cam to your pc and attach the camera to a TV, then enable real-time DV output in premiere. Tell ya it helps to see you edits on a preview monitor as opposed to your PC.

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 12:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.