PDA

View Full Version : Animate with low-poly, render with high-poly

nikopol_gfx
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Is there a solution for this?
I want to animate in Layout a low-poly replacement for a complex object, but when I render, I want to see the original hi-poly object, not the low poly object that it's used as stand-in. This is the case of polygonal objects, not subD. I'm tired of bounding-box display, or manual object replacement.

Until now, the best solution I have found is to write a simple Object replacement LScript, that automatically replace one chosen object with another at render time. The problem is the reverse replacement for Layout after rendering doesn't took place unless I force a one-frame preview.

Anyway, is there a serious solution for this, some kind of "intelligent LOD" or something ?

Limbus
07-28-2005, 02:34 PM
You could lower the Display Subpatch level. It in the object properties panel.

Florian

Sil3
07-28-2005, 04:35 PM
You could lower the Display Subpatch level. It in the object properties panel.

Florian

Or use the Metaform Plus plugin, that allows u to even have Ngons on the Low Res and the High Res comes out fine all in quads.

Itīs the old way of animating High Poly chars in LW, still usefull today :)

blaqDeaph
07-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Save a copy of the scene, run the object replacement script on the copy, render, then delete the copy of the scene.

KOryH
07-29-2005, 02:40 AM
I have a seperate really lo rez model that I animate. It is driven by the same set up as the hi rez model.

In the scene editor I have turned off the display of the highrez model and un-checked the low rez version. Unchecking it will make it not render.
This works for me. I have also seperated the head from the body in both versions.
that way I can animate the low rez body while being able to do full lipsync when needed, and the feed back is better than having everything high rez.
If I were really cool I would write a visibility l-script to swith them so I couls chech deformations. Althoughh I think something like that is out there. I should check flay.

telamon
07-29-2005, 02:10 PM
for me the safest way is to turn on unseen by ray & camera and to turn off cast shadows & receive shadows for the lowrez object in its properties pannel / item render.

A question though, has anyone used the fx metalink plugin to animate any frozen Hi Res character based on a low res cage?

KOryH
07-29-2005, 06:17 PM
hey telemon.
The check marks in the scene editor does it all in one click.
It's the coloumn "A" next to the eyeball

G3D
07-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Name the models so that they have almost the same name. The only difference could be a suffix "_low" and "_high" for each model. Set up your scene and animate. Before render time open the scene in a text editor and simply replace "_low" with "_high"
I do this very often, and it works well.

Triple G
07-30-2005, 06:56 AM
I have a seperate really lo rez model that I animate. It is driven by the same set up as the hi rez model.

In the scene editor I have turned off the display of the highrez model and un-checked the low rez version. Unchecking it will make it not render.
This works for me. I have also seperated the head from the body in both versions.
that way I can animate the low rez body while being able to do full lipsync when needed, and the feed back is better than having everything high rez.
If I were really cool I would write a visibility l-script to swith them so I couls chech deformations. Althoughh I think something like that is out there. I should check flay.

I've done basically the same thing in the past. In addition, I'll take the low res character and cut it up at the joints, and parent the pieces to their respective bones. That way you can turn off deformations in Layout, and feedback speed is GREATLY improved. When it's time to render, turn off the lo-rez, turn on the hi-rez, turn deformations back on, and you're good to go.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2005, 06:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.