PDA

View Full Version : Cityscapes

DoogalSnr
07-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I'm toying with a graphic novel project I've been working on, on and off for the past 6 years or so. I've got to a point where I want to create some visuals of the places in the book I have in my head. Most significantly a city.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice about creating Cityscapes?

Thanks,
Doogal

Lunatique
07-29-2005, 04:32 AM
1) perspective

2) atmospheric haze

3) reflections on windows and other objects

4) ambient light vs. direct light

5) interesting lighting

DoogalSnr
07-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks Lunatique. I'll keep those points in mind.

I can see the city in my minds eye... Time to get drawing!

Thanks,
Doogal

mangual
07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
To follow onto what Lunatique said... don't forget to add buildings. Sometimes they really help a cityscape look very realistic.

alexyork
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
To follow onto what Lunatique said... don't forget to add buildings. Sometimes they really help a cityscape look very realistic.

buildings in a cityscape?! are you mad?! just kidding :) don't forget "mood". define a clear mood and atmosphere really early on. how visible certain elements are will be determined by this, so you can easily avoid spending days painting a gorgeous structure when it's gonna end up in shadow by the end anyway. and depth. you might well end up with hundreds of buildings, so getting a clear focal point in there will be a challenge. that's where your atmospheric haze can come in handy as lunatique said.

DrFx
07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
History. Most cities will be a mixture of buildings of several epochs, and it will totally define a city's character. You can't compare, for instance, Dallas or Miami to Prague or Berlin.

DoogalSnr
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
These tips are good. I particularly like your one, mangual, I would have never thought of adding buildings in! ;-) Keep them coming, please.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to do a map of the city (a very basic one) to plot where the various areas will be? Or save the time and just jump straight into the rendering of the images?

Thanks again,
Doogal

KOryH
07-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Well if you have access to 3D program. It's worth the time to build a couple of boxes and plan out some shots. then you don't have to worry about the perspective. You can also get some idea of how the shadows may work. Keep it simple in 3D.

mangual
07-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Yep I was being sarcastic...

Go figure!

Another tip though, if you're ever doing a landscape painting... try to have some scenery and stuff.

=)

PatternRecognition
07-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Do you think it'd be a good idea to do a map of the city (a very basic one) to plot where the various areas will be? Or save the time and just jump straight into the rendering of the images?

Thanks again,
Doogal

I've found that neither of those work for me. I prefer to use the big brush slightly textures brush and draw the dark shapes. Then I use a smaller and more precise brush to put in the sky and a very soft brush for some ambience. Then I sketch in the details (very roughly) in the buildings themselves and start rendering. Jumping into rendering is not a good idea. I also tried 3D just yesterday, but it feels like cheating, so I don't plan on using it ever. Maybe just for inspiration I'll do a few Terragens but nothing else.

jmBoekestein
07-30-2005, 01:04 PM
1) perspective

2) atmospheric haze

3) reflections on windows and other objects

4) ambient light vs. direct light

5) interesting lighting

6) drama, the context of the scene, choice of time and viewpoint. :D

mangual
07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
6) drama, the context of the scene, choice of time and viewpoint. :D

Yea, yea... again -- that's all nice and all but what about the buildings. Don't forget the buildings!

Just make some kick-ass BUILDINGS first and foremost.

LOL...

jmBoekestein
07-31-2005, 06:16 PM
I think floating jellyfish would be cool too. Let's take this to the 2d WIP forum and slug it out. :)

Squibbit
07-31-2005, 06:47 PM
u mean the buildings would be floating jellyfish?

or cabs or sumthin?

hmm maybe the peoples thoughts... it'd be a slow but intriguing city..

jmBoekestein
07-31-2005, 06:52 PM
well the floating jellyfish would be sort of the repaidroness with their tentacles doing the work...

The buildigns would have landing points for the jellyfish. Sooo... there would have to be some sort of vein system throughout the city too for proper functioning of these jellyfish, and jellyfish give of light sometimes, so they function as streetlights too. Maybe they could work as phones too, I guess so.

Squibbit
07-31-2005, 07:09 PM
cool idea the streetlights!

yea ok so it would be like an outpost city on an alien planet
and the ground would be bad to liv on for some reason so people
would live in high buildings

but then the iron locust swarms ram into the buildings at full speed,
killing themselves and much of the city so the repair jellyfish would
always be ready

?

jmBoekestein
07-31-2005, 07:27 PM
yeah that's a good approximate, I think the locusts couldn't be metal though. They must have some sort of acid blood or just extra thick shells.

Since there's differeent sun light there, the radiation changed thme into weird looking locusts, they hae all soirts fo spikes and are really nasty genrally.

There should be something to ward them off, like hives of insect eating flying squirrels. :) That jump to and rfo all day.

Squibbit
07-31-2005, 07:43 PM
yea they coul be metal, they'd be just regular locust stuff from
the inside the just turn more iron toward the outer shell

then they could be full of maggots that would spread into the buildings with the
impacts

and no acid, too alien dude

and there wouldn't be anything to drive them off, but they wouldnt intentionally attck the
city, it would just be in their way when they travelled , and the city electronics would
mess up their brains so they couldn't fly straight

jmBoekestein
07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Good point. Now they're trying to get more things like the jellyfish to work for them. Because they don't mess up the locusts as much. They come back every year so they have to find a solution. But these maggots make it really difficult to do it without electronics.

No acid, but some sort of weird crystal gets on their outer shells after travelling across wastelands and volcanic regions and such. this woul d look really cool too I bet.
something like these perhaps:
http://www.bestcrystals.com/html/labradorite/images/LAB-23b.jpg
http://www.bestcrystals.com/html/labradorite/images/LAB-1b.jpg
or this spectrolite, which is actually from Finland. :D Just found out. heh.
http://www.bestcrystals.com/html/labradorite/images/LAB-22b.jpg

But the city won't be able to use it since it's difficult to reproduce on the ground. So they can't make it themselves.
Nooooow...What if they were to somehow be trying o make homes out of the jellyfish.

nebezial
07-31-2005, 07:59 PM
dirt, posters on the walls commercials...wires..al the urbanistic uglyness that makes it look soo good

Squibbit
07-31-2005, 08:01 PM
dirt, posters on the walls commercials...wires..al the urbanistic uglyness that makes it look soo good

yea pipes and chimneys, steam and smoke too!

Squibbit
07-31-2005, 08:05 PM
yea the place could be so hostile they couldn't do without electricity
that runs the life support systems

they could try build nets to capture the locusts with and then shoot the
buggers there and collect the spectrolite for sale and use

jmBoekestein
07-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Pretty difficult to do if the planet's very tough outside the city. They'd need protective suits and armor. Maybe they could put up giant screens to try and lure them into one place and start shootin the living daylights out of them. Then they could fall down and they'd let them rot or something and kill the grubs in em. And the spectrolite would be just lying around.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 08:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.