PDA

View Full Version : Need help: First rigging ( cartoon )

flamedevil
10-29-2002, 12:37 AM
Hi,
i'm completly newbie in character rigging and animation, i 've modeled the following character and posed the skeleton but i'm skeptical about the position of the bones etc...
I would like you critics the rigging and if there is something wrong, tell me.

thanx

-dc-
10-29-2002, 01:04 AM
I'd reccommend you use lattices on that guy...he's pretty cartoony, and that would really bring out his squash/stretchiness.

Also, you're going to need some control objects unless you intend to directly animate the joints.

regards,

Joe

flamedevil
10-29-2002, 06:49 PM
Thanx for the advice dc but...

Do i have to keep the skeleton or not ?
If yes where have i to use lattice and where have i to use skeleton ?

Thanx.

fortner
10-29-2002, 07:57 PM
Flamedevil

dc has a good suggestion....I think that i might implement both ways. I think using bones for the feet and hands, are a good idea. You could use a lattice to control the body movement, and possibly parent the bones to a cluster of the lattice. One for each appendage. If you chose to do it this way, you would get rid of all of the joints in the body.

Your control objects for the lattice could simply be curves that are parented to clusters of the lattice. Hope this isn't confusing.

Mike

-dc-
10-30-2002, 03:31 AM
Hey flame :)

You use both, smooth bind the lattices to the joints, and either animate with the joints, or make some control objects. You'll have to weight the whole thing using the Component Editor though.

regards,

Joe

flamedevil
10-30-2002, 07:29 PM
okay thank you guys, i'm going to learn more and read docs about lattices, joints etc...
Like i said, i'm newbie in animation, it's time to get in .

cya soon
:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.