PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Hillary vs. the Xbox

mummey
07-28-2005, 03:20 AM
>>Link<< (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-johnson27jul27,0,1432940.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions)

"I'm writing to commend you for calling for a $90-million study on the effects of video games on children, and in particular the courageous stand you have taken in recent weeks against the notorious "Grand Theft Auto" series.

I'd like to draw your attention to another game whose nonstop violence and hostility has captured the attention of millions of kids a game that instills aggressive thoughts in the minds of its players, some of whom have gone on to commit real-world acts of violence and sexual assault after playing.

I'm talking, of course, about high school football.

I know a congressional investigation into football won't play so well with those crucial swing voters, but it makes about as much sense as an investigation into the pressing issue that is Xbox and PlayStation 2.

Your current concern is over explicit sex in "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas." Yet there's not much to investigate, is there? It should get rated appropriately, and that's that. But there's more to your proposed study: You want to examine how video games shape children's values and cognitive development."

more in the article, have at it guys...

JDex
07-28-2005, 03:27 AM
Bravo! :thumbsup:

10 characters... bla... bla... bla...

Yourworstnightmare
07-28-2005, 03:27 AM
i totally agree with her she's the first politician who thinks of violent video games as a good idea. Because i'd rather anyone go on a killing spree in grand theft auto than in my neighborhood.

PhilOsirus
07-28-2005, 03:29 AM
That's a book author sending a letter to Hilarity Clinton, not Hilary's letter:p

mangolass
07-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Campaigning against a videogame for the benefit of voters who have never played it is way too easy ~ but then again her theory that violent games might negatively affect kids is no more out-there than the author's theory that the complexity of video games is making kids smarter.

LT

PhilOsirus
07-28-2005, 03:37 AM
It is "out there" because SHE is the one spending millions on the study instead of looking through already-existing studies.

novadude
07-28-2005, 04:13 AM
It is "out there" because SHE is the one spending millions on the study instead of looking through already-existing studies.

<rant> darned server backups and posts being lost </rant>

Anyways, those studies available don't agree with her "views," so she'll have to have one that does. Politicians are looking for a platform to catch themsevles on as they fall into the abyss. People need to realizes one thing: as the number of violent games has gone up, the number of violent crimes has gone down. The same thing can be said about anything else the government "protects" us from.

EpShot
07-28-2005, 05:01 AM
i'm really lookign forward to next presidential election

where one side wants to control what i watch and play
where the other side wants to control what i do in my bedroom.

Kirbsaw
07-28-2005, 05:48 AM
i'm really lookign forward to next presidential election

where one side wants to control what i watch and play
where the other side wants to control what i do in my bedroom.

Wonderful isn't it. Next they'll tell 3d modelers they can only model the head, the body is just too suggestive, it'll corrupt us all and society will crumble!

Lunatique
07-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Hahaha, yeah, high school football is much worse than any video game. It puts peer pressure on teenagers, and it turns some of them into idiotic meathead jocks who bullies other kids. Then, look at the cheerleaders and their little skirts--can you believe schools actually allow them to jump around and do suggestive dances in those little skirts? High schools is absolutely the worst thing for a teenager because it is a micro version of the society's worst attributes. Video games are far safter compared to high school.

SheepFactory
07-28-2005, 06:00 AM
That article requires common sense , which the people its adressed to does not have.

CelticArtist
07-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Yay, good article, too bad Hillary Clinton wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, she's too caught up with her little campaign to care what anyone actually proves about video games and society as a whole (well American Society). I agree, it's going to be an interesting election next term, but i won't state politics because it's against the forum policy. The sad part is that there are a ton of people who do agree with her, not because they've experienced any of it, but because they believe anything that tv tells them, and they make up a large percentage of the voting population.

noisewar
07-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Hahaha, yeah, high school football is much worse than any video game. It puts peer pressure on teenagers, and it turns some of them into idiotic meathead jocks who bullies other kids. Then, look at the cheerleaders and their little skirts--can you believe schools actually allow them to jump around and do suggestive dances in those little skirts? High schools is absolutely the worst thing for a teenager because it is a micro version of the society's worst attributes. Video games are far safter compared to high school.

And you forgot how high school sports promotes drug use and gang mentality, as well as lowering academic standards for promising atheletes in college.

DangerAhead
07-28-2005, 07:42 PM
What about the America's Army video game (http://www.americasarmy.com/) sponsored by the US Army? I'm pretty sure people are dying in that game.

I'm getting the moral message here:
As long as polygonal private parts are at least covered in blood, it's okay.

pearson
07-28-2005, 09:30 PM
I loved this article. I'm old enough to remember when D&D was blamed for every suicide or school rampage. Now it's video games. As soon as the bandwagon is identified, every politician tries to jump on...

This, too, will pass (hopefully).

toonman
07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
This, too, will pass (hopefully).

The question is... how can people be so stupid to even tolerate this things to start? (No offense intended at anyone).

Ah, well... business will remain business... always.

BillB
07-29-2005, 01:00 AM
The question is... how can people be so stupid to even tolerate this things to start?
Something to remember as you go thru life : Studies have shown that half the population is of below average intelligence
;)

That said, a lot of the people complaining are apparently intelligent. So I dunno.

Maybe this is better : We're all idiots about something.

PhilOsirus
07-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Something to remember as you go thru life : Studies have shown that half the population is of below average intelligence
;)

That said, a lot of the people complaining are apparently intelligent. So I dunno.

Maybe this is better : We're all idiots about something.

Maybe my question will put me in that unintelligent group, but how can half of the population be less than the avarage?;)

Martin_G_3D
07-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Computer games don't affect kids: I mean, if Pac-Man would have affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, eating magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music....

JDex
07-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Computer games don't affect kids: I mean, if Pac-Man would have affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, eating magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music....

Sounds like a regular everyday Night Club to me. ;)

pearson
07-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Maybe my question will put me in that unintelligent group, but how can half of the population be less than the avarage?;)

On the bright side, the same study showed that half of the population was above the average for intelligence.:p

Unfortunately they tend to be smart enough to have manners and thus don't raise cain at the drop of a hat, so most of the sensationalist shouting you are exposed to comes from the below average half...

BillB
07-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe my question will put me in that unintelligent group, but how can half of the population be less than the average?;)
Well, maybe there's one person who is precisely average, so make that half-1. Doesn't sound as nifty though.

DrFx
07-29-2005, 11:15 AM

Lol! This is the funniest thread in some time!

owenlewis
07-29-2005, 11:58 AM
The thing to consider is that politicians don't care one way or the other about the video games. To them this is what they call a "litmus test" (I'm not sure I spelled this correctly). Basicly they servey the demographic of people that are probably going to vote at the next turnout, and then they stand with which ever has the better results. Statisticly, the biggest voters in america are 50yrs and older because they are the most concerned with social security (which the government controls).
The last big litmus test was abortion, then stem cell research (when was the last time either of these were the big story on the news).
I guess the point that I am trying to make is that if we want the polititians to be more simpathetic to our wants and opinions, then more people from our demographic (generaly the 18 to 35yrs) need to VOTE.

Apoclypse
07-29-2005, 11:59 AM
So when do we start burning are draft cards guys, and sitting in front of some prissy college listening to acid rock.

Tom N.
07-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Wonderful isn't it. Next they'll tell 3d modelers they can only model the head, the body is just too suggestive, it'll corrupt us all and society will crumble!

and NO making funny faces!! Blendshapes and morph targets MUST be approved before use.

-Tom N.

Dougs
07-30-2005, 05:38 AM
So when do we start burning are draft cards guys, and sitting in front of some prissy college listening to acid rock.

When can you get your butt over here?

jbo
07-30-2005, 05:49 AM

well... say there was a population of 4 people. one person had an IQ of 80, one of 90, one of 110 and one of 120.

that makes the average IQ 100.

that makes half the population less than the average.

jeremybirn
07-30-2005, 10:53 AM

It might not be guaranteed like half being less than the median, but half being less than the average happens pretty often. On the other hand, I suspect that most of the people on CGtalk would rate themselves above average on intellegence.

-jeremy

gga
07-30-2005, 11:27 AM

Step 1.

Joe, 100 IQ. Peter 50 IQ.
Average IQ: 75.
Half the population (Peter): below average.

Step 2. Add more guys. :)

JeroenDStout
07-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Step 1.

Joe, 100 IQ. Peter 50 IQ.
Average IQ: 75.
Half the population (Peter): below average.

Step 2. Add more guys. :)

Joe 150, Peter 180, Fred 140, Oiston 190, Monkey-boy 180
Frank 10

Average IQ: 142
2 of 6 people are below average.

Step 2. Improve formula ;)

Nocturn
07-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I wonder how motivated Hillary would be to conduct this 90 million dollar study if those 90 million were coming out of her own pocket....

Something is wrong in a society were children have more common sense than adults...

parallax
07-30-2005, 06:09 PM
I wonder how motivated Hillary would be to conduct this 90 million dollar study if those 90 million were coming out of her own pocket....

Something is wrong in a society were children have more common sense than adults...

Welcome back to reality.

jbo
07-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Joe 150, Peter 180, Fred 140, Oiston 190, Monkey-boy 180
Frank 10

Average IQ: 142
2 of 6 people are below average.

Step 2. Improve formula ;)

nobody said that half the people would ALWAYS be below the average, we were just pointing out that it was possible(and not at all uncommon).

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2005, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.