PDA

View Full Version : DRAWING WORKSHOP 001: Copying the Work of Rubens

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Guys / Gals,

I have been thinking that it might be a really great thing to have ongoing "Figure Drawing Workshops" that are the virtual equivalent of the real thing. In time, I would like to try to get real models to agree to pose for photographs ~ I'm a bit tired of the same SK Fine Art images ~ but there is no assurance that this will be possible. HOWEVER, I would like to kick off the first Figure Drawing Workshop with a Master work by Rubens, a painting concerning David and Goliath.

Basically, this is a "Master & Servant" image, Old School style. :)

Here are the Rules:

1. Post DRAWINGS OR PAINTINGS of the figures / background in the painting below. Post your BEST WORK ~ even if it is unfinished.

2. Drawings / Paintings may be created using any Traditional or Digital DRAWING / PAINTING medium. If you are 3D artist, and feel like participating, by all means feel free. :)

3. Drawings / Paintings may be Black / White or Color.

4. DO NOT post images to exceed 600 pixels WIDE (LENGTH may vary).

5. The time limit to post for this Master Copy is Unlimited.

6.This is not a REVIEW topic per se, but rather an OPEN SESSION for people to draw.

7. People may post comments and criticism that is polite and constructive. Flaming will not be tolerated.

8. If you do not wish to have someone else DRAW/PAINT OVER your image, state this ~ otherwise others are to assume that DRAW/PAINT OVERS are okay to do for your piece.

9. Your FINAL image should not be traced. However, if you wish to do a tracing first, just as a practice exercise, feel free to do so ~ so long as your tracing does not become the final piece.

10. Don't be afraid to post your work ~ we are all learning here, and it is natural that different people are at different levels. :)

11. Have fun! :)

Here is the image which is to be copied for this first Drawing Workshop:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/FIGURE%20DRAWING%20WKSHP%20001/Rubens_David-Goliath.jpg

image source: http://www.statenvertaling.net/beeld/rubens_david_goliath_grt.jpg

Good luck, guys / gals! :)

~Rebeccak

RO
07-28-2005, 01:58 AM
I get a black picture am I the only one?

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Hmm...I can see it...that's odd. Anyone else? Let me relink the picture.

Thanks! :)

~Rebeccak

LoTekK
07-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Piccie no workie. :p

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Ok, fixed :)

~Rebeccak

RobertoOrtiz
07-28-2005, 02:38 AM
Hey Lotekk, how is life on the other side of the pacific?

Nice to see you posting here!

-R

InterFacer
07-28-2005, 04:30 AM
do our peices have to be of one or both the figures? of the entire peice? or selections of it? I just got out of summer courses and this would be a great way to get started :)

jmBoekestein
07-28-2005, 06:58 AM
More importantly, can we do caricatures? Since his knobbly weird legs don't look too realistic at all for instance, it would be fun to do an ol' geeser with arthritis shooting a bb gun. :D.

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
InterFacer,

I would suggest doing the two main figures, the main props, and a bit of the landscape in the background. I don't think it's as important to add the small figures in the background ~ there's not enough detail to make it really worthwhile ~ I would much rather see you guys lavish attention on the foreground figures than spread yourselves too thin concentrating on the minor details.

Good luck with this! :)

jmBoekestein,

Lol, I'd prefer if people NOT do caricatures, as I think the purpose of the Workshop is to increase peoples' accuracy. :) Plus, if you copy Rubens' painting exactly, what you will wind up with will be wildly exaggerated, anyway. :)

~Rebeccak

zhuzhu
07-28-2005, 09:22 AM
try it ~~~:bounce: sketch in SketchBook Pro, need more study later.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/18623Z6HKg/586615.jpg

NOOB!
07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
*off-topic agen* COOL ASS! website rebecca! please do sum fantasy art,or sum art for the exotique book coming.

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 09:43 AM
zhuzhu,

Congratulations on being the first to post! :) Happy to see you here. :)

NOOB!

Thanks a lot! :) My friend Ava Ann did a great job ~ I worship her technical and design skills! :) Plus, she's just a super nice person. Alright, NOOB, it is my mission in life to get you to post more work! :) How is the Surreal WIP going? ;)

~Rebeccak

NOOB!
07-28-2005, 09:55 AM
:) How is the Surreal WIP going? ;)

~Rebeccak

i was inspired by you to go back to traditonal,so i'm gunna redraw it up on paper and charcoal etc. then scan it in a colour under it.

sorry i didn't post in ur last lesson,whens ur next lesson starting?i'll be sure to post sum stuff.

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 10:29 AM
NOOB,

Hey, that's cool to hear! I am thrilled you'll be doing traditional work and copying the Old Masters ~ I think the bigger the person you pit yourself against, the better you'll become. I think there's a psychological thing that happens when you go to copy someone's work you really admire. You kind of don't want to knock down your idol, so in some small part of your mind you hold yourself back. That's why it's good to go after the biggest fish in the lake, because basically, you'll have way more room to grow than if you only pit yourself against the best contemporary artists you can think of. And that, tadpole, is the cookie fortune lesson of the week. :)

The next Lesson should start sometime shortly after Aug. 5th. Hope to see you (and your work!) there. ;)

~Rebeccak

default-rol
07-28-2005, 10:32 AM
So here it is then - you could have chosen an easier pic for an "ice breaker" tho! :D

Will try to get some stuff out for this soon.

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey, if it were easy, t'would be no fun! :) Looking forward to seeing your work!:)

~Rebeccak

zhuzhu
07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
thanks, rebeccak. once again.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/18623Z6HKg/586616.jpg

woodyradica
07-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Ok here is my inital sketch and values..... I will continue a bit later..

Feel free to pull apart ..... thats why im here.... :)

step1

http://www.finaldeadline.com/sketches/david%20step1.jpg

well got to stop thats my lunchtime
gone.... :)

step 2

http://www.finaldeadline.com/sketches/david%20step2.jpg

thetrianglekid
07-28-2005, 02:58 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/thetrianglekid/rubens_david_cgtalk.jpg

just a quick gesture, then started filling in curves, a little shading

far far from finished. the pose is a bit off, i think, but too late to fix it haha.

comments/crits welcome.

Slux
07-28-2005, 03:05 PM
It sounds interesting .. may be I will try it since I need a lot of practice :)
btw if someone would be intenterested in little more bigger image then here is the link
http://www.digital-images.net/Images/NS_Paint/David_Goliath_3548.jpg
its 656x830 not that big but I haven't found anything bigger
btw that link on the first page doesn't work for me .. but I can see picture quite fine :)

to zhuzhu: nice crosshatching especially on the upper arm may be I should try it that way too .. who knows

- Slux

yAdam
07-28-2005, 03:28 PM
I havent really ever done a copy of a master before, but I am having real fun with this!:D Definately going to go on and paint it... may take me some time..

Here's the line work:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/yAdam1/rubens_dg_copy2_small.jpg

paperclip
07-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to toss in my version. It's coming along slowly. David's head is driving me insane!!
It is too small and the features are not 'just right'.

:cry:
I'm being very careful about this. Picking out colors 'by eye'. They are rather different from the original but hopefully not TOO MUCH.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/592/davidgoliath1hg.jpg
Obviously, it's not much more than a sketch and is unfinished. Will keep it up, though.

thetrianglekid
07-28-2005, 04:06 PM
the proportions in my first sketch were bothering me too much, so i went back and fixed them as much as possible. there's still some off, but it's as close as i'm going to get i think.

the legs on the figure are unbelievable, i barely even dared to try and copy them.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/thetrianglekid/rubens_david2_cgtalk.jpg

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 04:26 PM
WOW!!! Everyone's posts are looking great!!! :thumbsup: It's AWESOME to see this many posts this early! Keep up the great work, guys!!! :bounce: Also, feel free to post updates! :)

Yay! I finally got paperclip to post!!! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

default-rol
07-28-2005, 04:53 PM
I think this "Ruben's" guy needs to be joining the regular threads for anatomy and gesture practice - I think his proportion is nowhere!:scream:

I've made a start three times now, but I just dont buy David's pose. The top half of his left arm seems far too short and his torso seems too long. The direction of his left leg v's his right seems really odd also - or is this all in my head?:shrug:

Going to try again after some food. Perhaps that will help me resolve this. Will try to have something on-line later tonight.

EDIT: If I could "top the Sandwich guy" <JOKE> RebeccaK, then I will let you keep the $50 - because I'll be off around the famous courts of Europe, selling my skills to famous Kings, Queens and Nobles etc for vast sums of money like he no doubt did! :D

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 04:56 PM
default.rol,

"Reuben"? Like the sandwich? :scream: Hahaha! How DARE you question the Master Draughtsman???!!! Lol, that's pretty funny! :)

Just, er...go with it ;) ~ you're guaranteed to get something out of copying this, even if it is "flawed". :) And, if you can improve on the Master drawing, I will personally give you $50. :)

I'll post some comments later, but I do want to keep this focused on GROUP critique ~ so PLEASE offer your advice and crits for other peoples' work.

ALSO ~ I noticed that people are posting updates, which is GREAT!!! I think that the second, third, and fourth times that you copy the SAME image, is when you REALLY start to see things. The first go is almost always a throw-away attempt for me ~ I've copied the same images MULTIPLE times o'er the years. 'Course, back then we didn't have tv... :scream:

EDIT: hahaha! The only "nobles" these days are the likes of Britney Spears. I dunno if she's interested in classical art...:shrug: :D

Thanks!!! :)

~Rebeccak

vikkie
07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Rubens:

You need to work more on your proportions, david's right arm seems like it is only consisting of biceps, you forgot the shoulder again how many times do i have to tell you this? Work on deltoids more and remember that they exist. I know you can do better, and please for art's sake stop painting fabric you can't do it right. Also you can not do portraits good, make them wear a gas mask or something and save us the trouble of seeing those ugly faces.

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 05:35 PM
vikkie,

Lol!!! Hahahahaha!!! Poor Rubens...now I've put him on a pedestal, you guys are turning him into a pinata!!! Yargh! Is nothing sacred? *Cradles book of Rubens in arms protectively*. :scream:

~Rebeccak

vikkie
07-28-2005, 05:38 PM
are we going to the more masters copies? albrecht durer(he has to learn how to draw fabric too) norman rockwell(everything but portraits, he sucks at portraits):D ok i'm not going to flood this topic anymore, good work everyone, if i can find more time i'll give it a shot too.

edit: norman rockwell's "gossip" would be a great portrait study for everyone i guesshttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 05:39 PM
vikkie,

Yup, I think it will be great to have two concurrently running continuous threads: one for Master Copies, and the other for Life Drawings. Next week, I'm going to see what I can do regarding the latter and getting models (we'll see...) :)

Look forward to seeing your work! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Guys, I think you are doing a great job! I just wanted to add a few tips about figuring out a complicated (and apparently flawed!) Master Drawing:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/FIGURE%20DRAWING%20WKSHP%20001/Rubens-Demo_STEPS_small.gif

Obviously, for this Demo I have traced the image. I actually encourage people to trace images this way, to get used to the Lay-In concept, and to figure things out in their own way. For your final drawings however, do not trace (as I know people are not doing, which is good :))

~Hope this helps! :)

Let me know if you guys have difficulties seeing the gif.

Thanks!

~Rebeccak

yAdam
07-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Great tips rebecca! Thanks! You are so helpful in this forum.... where do you find the time to do anything else?!

I might go back and correct areas of my preliminary sketch, but i started blocking in already so i'll just try and correct it at this stage instead. Heres where I'm at now... found it hard, as usual, to get nice skin tones.:hmm: Also will shrink the battle in the bg.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/yAdam1/rubens_dg_copy_colour_small.jpg

default-rol
07-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Heres my first couple of hours at it. (After food and some TV:))

I know he looks a bit lonely on that white sheet all by himself - but I promise in the next day or so I will give him some friends. :D Crits always welcome of course, (unless its about spelling the name R(e)uben's...)

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5990/wip1dg2807059pg.jpg

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
yAdam,

Thanks a lot! Yep, I spend a lot of time on the forum, but I greatly enjoy every minute of it! Seeing everyone working hard to improve and contributing their work is just an incredible reward! So thanks to you and everyone for doing such a great job! :)

I have said this before and I will say it a million times again :) ~ the main thing in a painting is not COLOR but VALUE. Rubens, as a painter, used VERY thin washes over his Drawings ~ the order of importance in his, as well as any great master painter is (excluding Composition):

1. Drawing
2. Value
3.Color

Oh, look! Color is in a 1 point type, it must not be very important!!! Heh! :)

Anyhoo, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Great to see your work!! Thank you for posting! :)

default.rol,

Looking nice so far! And I see that you have a good sense of priorities:

1. Food
2. TV
3. Drawing
4. Value

:)

My #1 suggestion is to immediately, before ingesting any more food, watching any more tv, walking the dog, or swimming, is to FILL the background with a mid-gray. Since Values are all RELATIVE, they need to have a background to which they can be relative.

But other than that, it looks like you're doing a great job, and it will be cool to see your final results! :)

This thread is shaping up really nicely!!! :)

~Rebeccak

default-rol
07-28-2005, 09:12 PM
On the back of RebeccaK's comments I have added a mid grey background + somemore basic "value." Its as rough as sticks at the moment, but it will get better as the days go on. Really it will.... at least I think it will... :)

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9577/wip2dg2807052rv.jpg

Rebeccak
07-28-2005, 10:15 PM
default.rol,

Keep going, we believe in you! :)

~Rebeccak

PixelFloss
07-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Rebecca :)
Nice idea this virtual Workshop. I'll try and do some copies this weekend, free time permitting.

Hey, that David guy looks a lot like the Frodo character in the LOTR movie. LOL! :eek:

Cheers.

RO
07-28-2005, 11:19 PM
lol that is true hehe

Edit: Oh now that I posted. I so want to be around to doing these things but I just seemed to enter a few good painting times since the last few projects and I want to keep that going.

Great works so far very impressive.

thetrianglekid
07-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi Rebecca :)
Nice idea this virtual Workshop. I'll try and do some copies this weekend, free time permitting.

Hey, that David guy looks a lot like the Frodo character in the LOTR movie. LOL! :eek:

Cheers.

drawing update:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/thetrianglekid/rubens_frodo_cgtalk.jpg

Rebeccak
07-29-2005, 01:36 AM
thetrianglekid,

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! :scream: Lol, that's hilarious. Only tonight, the phrase, Oh, dear dear Sam...went randomly through my brain ~ ha!

And here I thought I was the only wacko on the block. Good to meet you! ;)

~Rebeccak

paperclip
07-29-2005, 11:59 AM
May I get suggestions as to how to improve my pic before I go further? :)

Rebeccak
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
paperclip,

I'm happy to offer some suggestions, but these are just mine, and anyone may and IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to jump in here also and offer advice. :)

Here goes:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/FIGURE%20DRAWING%20WKSHP%20001/Paperclip_Review_1_small.jpg

Since you are approaching the piece from a painting vs. a drawing perpective, let me just say that I think it's always best to remember (and it's easy to forget) that Painting IS Drawing. I think people often get intimidated and overwhelmed by approaching a painting, when they are able draughtsmen, and don't realize that there is little difference to drawing and painting besides color, which is pretty unimportant compared to the key ingredient of a good painting, VALUE. It is important not to get caught up in trying to get COLORS right if the underlying drawing is "wrong" ~ so I think it's always best to get the DRAWING to be as accurate as possible before "coloring", or what some people think of as "painting".

With the digital medium, the line between drawing and painting is somewhat blurred, but I think it's best to consider this less an exercise in 'painting', and more an exercise in 'shading'. It's a semantic thing, but psychologically, what we call things can make a difference in terms of how we think about and approach our process.

I think you just need to keep going ~ the work on the face looks great! I think generally, you should approach the piece by finding the MOST GENERAL LIGHT AND DARK areas first, and then concentrate on the more minor details / smaller areas of Light and Dark. ALWAYS WORK FROM THE BIG PICTURE and then focus more narrowly.

Don't get overwhelmed by the contortions of the body, if you just consider the body in terms of lighter and darker SHAPES, it becomes a much simpler problem.

I blurred the images and desaturated them both ~ I think it's a good way to work, using only White, a Mid-Gray, and Black, to see the painting in terms of its VALUES only. Color can be thrown on with a Layer / Layers with the Blending Mode set to COLOR.

I hope this helps, and good luck!!! :)

~Rebeccak

paperclip
07-29-2005, 03:00 PM
:love: What a fantastic crit. Thanks so much for taking the time!

I will take all your tips on board and produce a revised version. Thanks once more!
theresa

Rebeccak
07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Theresa aka paperclip, :)

You're most welcome! And I know you're extremely busy, so I appreciate your taking time to participate in the forum! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

default-rol
07-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Here is tonights update. Got home and opened the drawing I did yesterday - hated it. Deleted it and begun again.:)

Tried to physically make him more "Rubenesque" (If there is such a word!)

Crits (as usual) welcome. Will try to do more over the weekend.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5940/wip3dg2907056uh.jpg

kaspaxl
07-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi people,

here is my attempt. Sad how many lines i need to get it done. :(

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/kaspaxl/Rubens_David-Goliath2.jpg

BTW, it is drawn in opencanvas which i'm trying out for the first time. Pretty cool. :applause:

--kaspaxl

Rebeccak
07-30-2005, 12:46 AM
default.rol,

Great to see you working hard, as ever, on this piece! Keep going, I'm sure it will be great!! :)

kaspaxl,

Wow, awesome sense of balance and weight! :) No worries about the number of lines it takes ~ if you get it right, you get it right! :) Beautiful work, keep going! :)

Great stuff, guys!! Very inspiring. :)

~Rebeccak

Ego
07-30-2005, 05:03 PM
wow I go on vacation and this place explodes with all sorts of fun stuff!! Good job guys. I definitely will attempt this :)

dbclemons
07-30-2005, 05:14 PM
I thought I'd join in on the fun. I worked this one up last night while watching CNN. It's pencil about 8 inches high.

http://www.dbclemons.com/tutorials/rubens_upload.jpg
Made a few changes as you can tell. It was hard to see who was Goliath in Ruben's version, I mean, ol' Dave's been working out. I slimmed him down a bit and changed his pose and expression some, and yes whimped out on the background.

-David

default-rol
08-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Got really annoyed with the "pain"ting I began, so it has been confined to the darkest recesses of my HD.:sad:

I decided, therefore, to go 'back to the drawing board' on this one - NO pun intended... (well perhaps a little one.) :D

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6136/wip4dg0208053gv.jpg

And I couldn't leave out goliath...

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/7715/wip5dg0208058do.jpg

EDIT:

I dont know if this is cheating slightly, (using a grid to work from,) but hey, the old masters themselves did it! I personally learned a lot from doing one this way - I found out that I was making his torso too thick for one.:thumbsup:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/808/wip96dg0708056ai.jpg

Question: My ancient mythology ain't what it used to be - but still, didn't David beat Goliath with a slingshot?:) Did he have the sabre as "backup, just incase" do you think?:scream:

evanfotis
08-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Guys, I think you are doing a great job! I just wanted to add a few tips about figuring out a complicated (and apparently flawed!) Master Drawing:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/FIGURE%20DRAWING%20WKSHP%20001/Rubens-Demo_STEPS_small.gif

Obviously, for this Demo I have traced the image. I actually encourage people to trace images this way, to get used to the Lay-In concept, and to figure things out in their own way. For your final drawings however, do not trace (as I know people are not doing, which is good :))

~Hope this helps! :)

Thanks!

~Rebeccak

Excellent thing you did Rebecca, dividing the body to its basic forms. This is how artists should look at anything..
And just to add, I have a suggestion for all of you... Just leave the wretched tablet for a while, take a sketch pad and try to eyeball the image not to trace it over in shotphop or painter.
the point of this exercise is to practice understanding what lies under what we see.
Just my twocents.
then scan it or take a picture for us to see.

kaspaxl
08-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't think nobody traced the image evanfotis :sad: Everybody came up with different versions of it, some thiner, some bigger, etc.

default-rol
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
I didn't trace either! And I have done all the line art for this thread by hand with a 9B pencil. The closest I came to tracing was when I squared the paper off (see above) so you have smaller areas to "eyeball." :scream:

Perhaps its a compliment to us all if some of these drawings look like tracings!

evanfotis
08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
@default.rol,& kaspaxl,
I definetely did not mean too insult anyone here, and those of you who worked traditionally have no reason feel bad. And even those who did use digital medium -besides, this is a cg site- can always have the original on a part of the screen and their canvas next to it and mimic the actual study,which in fact should be even more dificult since most of us are more efficient using real paper with a real pencil, than with virtual pens and tablets, when it comes to detail and precision.

kaspaxl
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
And even those who did use digital medium -besides, this is a cg site- can always have the original on a part of the screen and their canvas next to it and mimic the actual study

That's the way i worked. Yep. And no insult was taken at any moment, simply stating.

default.rol, keep us updated in that painting study. Looking good.

Regards,
--kaspaxl

default-rol
08-04-2005, 11:44 AM
That's the way i worked. Yep. And no insult was taken at any moment, simply stating.

default.rol, keep us updated in that painting study. Looking good.

Regards,
--kaspaxl

Evanfotis - No offence taken either. I run two monitors at my station and do what you describe. Its all just for improving with and practice does make perfect as the saying goes. Above all it should be FUN! :D (or else you are doing something wrong I think.)

Kaspaxl - Cheers man. Its my second digital painting in Photoshop and its taking me a while to get through it. Do you think RebeccaK's $50 is safe though? :scream: ... (:deal: -Just kidding RebeccaK.)

Rebeccak
08-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Queensoul,

Can't wait to see your work! Please post when you get the chance. :)

dbclemons,

Nice work!! :thumbsup: It's great to see you try this ~ I hope it proved beneficial. We'll get a new one up shortly. :)

default.rol,
Ok, one word: WOW!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:You are doing just a fantastic job, and I am just pleased as punch to see the great results you are getting ~ AWESOME work!!! You should just be super pleased with yourself, and I hope that you continue to refine and finish this piece, as I think it shows amazing progress and a ton of hard work. Many thanks for posting this fantastic work!!! :thumbsup:

EDIT: evanfotis, Thank you! It's great to hear comments and feedback ~ it lets me know if I am on the right track! So thanks for taking the time to post your comments! :)

~Rebeccak

default-rol
08-08-2005, 06:13 PM
default.rol,
Ok, one word: WOW!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:You are doing just a fantastic job, and I am just pleased as punch to see the great results you are getting ~ AWESOME work!!! You should just be super pleased with yourself, and I hope that you continue to refine and finish this piece, as I think it shows amazing progress and a ton of hard work. Many thanks for posting this fantastic work!!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Thx RebeccaK,

I think I am beginning to get the hang of this "painting in Photoshop" thing now. It took me a few false starts to get there though. This piece has pushed all of my painting skills with the program to the limit. I just hope I can improve on the foundation I now have, to take my skills further still - there is just SO much to learn. I also want to be able to get to grips with Corel painter now. THEN I WILL BE PLEASED WITH MYSELF!:scream:

MIKE

Rebeccak
08-08-2005, 06:37 PM
default.rol / Mike,

You've definitely "gotten the Photoshop thing down" :thumbsup: ~ this is just incredible work!

I think that you as well as others will be thrilled to know that a good friend of mine from school with whom I recently reconnected has agreed to allow us to use his beautiful photographs of models for use in a new thread called "Open Figure Drawing Workshop", in which my friend's photo reference will be posted for us. His photos are truly beautiful and the models are superb.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's post on the new thread, which should be posted soon! Stay tuned!! :)

~Rebeccak

default-rol
08-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I think that you as well as others will be thrilled to know that a good friend of mine from school with whom I recently reconnected has agreed to allow us to use his beautiful photographs of models for use in a new thread called "Open Figure Drawing Workshop", in which my friend's photo reference will be posted for us. His photos are truly beautiful and the models are superb.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's post on the new thread, which should be posted soon! Stay tuned!! :)

~Rebeccak

Result! Well done 'beccaK! :applause:

Kha
08-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Hi,

I thought it would be a good oportunity to try a digital drawing... but I've got some disagreement with the tablet :D, which I'm using for the first time. But still trying.

http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/9004/davidkha2iu.th.jpg (http://img305.imageshack.us/my.php?image=davidkha2iu.jpg)

Kha

umbrellasky
08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Some sketched from my sketch book. Sorry for the poor quality of the scans.

Pencils: 2b, 4b, 5b

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/ruben1.jpg

Pen and ink on a brown paper bag ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/ruben2.jpg

Rebeccak
08-20-2005, 11:32 PM
enialadam,

Wow, thanks for posting these! :)

I particularly like the second sketch on brown paper ~ do you plan to paint these? It's not necessary, simply up to you. :)

~Rebeccak

umbrellasky
08-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks Rebeccak :D, If I have time I may give painting them a go :)

Somhairle
08-28-2005, 02:51 AM
hey great choice of a master copy.

I can't wait to get stuck into some of your new threads!

~

EDIT: I might have missed it but, what was the actual goal of this piece?

a. to see how much of a replica we can make (its the "master copy" part that gets me!)

b. our own interpetation of the piece

- Sam

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2005, 02:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.